1/4 Play Imaginative - Super Alloy Die Cast - Iron Man 3 - War Machine Mark II

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lotus000

Super Freak
Reaction score
I wanted to start a dedicated thread for each release. So far I have purchased 2 officially released 1/4 scale figures from Play Imaginative.

I know there is a lot of controversy around Play Imaginative as a company, and even though I read through a lot of negativity , I took a chance and feel I made a good decision in buying a couple of their figures. It's almost fun to own a piece of history with a company that took on too much at one time.

I think the company had good intentions, but they shouldn't have released actual pre orders for 7 of the figures all at once. I feel if they would have just focused on 2 or 3 like War Machine, Iron Patriot, and Mark 42, then I think they may have survived. You can see the struggle when Play Imaginative changed their name to SuperAlloyfigure.com mid way through. Then in 2014 they went silent leaving a lot of vendors like BBTS, YES Anime who already took deposits in the dark. All of a sudden the end of 2014 they released 1/4 scale RAW edition War machine. People laughed at them because it was just unpainted figure for 600. Finally they released War Machine Mark II in two flavors. The Exclusive edition which came with a full face Rhodey head and the regular edition which I bought. Retailers at this point didn't get many Exclusive editions. Then in 2015 they very quietly released Iron Patriot.

Here comes ComicCave Studios. Up till a few weeks ago when you went to comicavestudios.com you could see a tab that says Play imaginative, from there you could see the War machine and Iron Patriot listed under 1/4 scale lineup. ComicCave has taken down the old web site and put up a new more modern one. It has no reference of Play Imaginative. BUT if you look at any of the Current Press photos you can still see on the Plaque next to the figures Play Imaginative.

From what I have read ComicCave Studios is saying they have Leased or Purchased the license from Play Imaginative and that's why it has to be on the Plaque that describes the figure. Right now ComicCave has listed on their site Hulkbuster, Mark 43, and Mark 45. These will follow suite as Super Alloy Die Cast as well. The Mark 43 was already shown off to have a motorized face plate that flips up.

Anyway lots of interesting stuff that happened to these companies. I'm more than satisfied with my 1/4 scale figures and welcome more from whatever company they call themselves.

Lets start out with My review, and thoughts of the Play Imaginative Super Alloy Die Cast War Machine Mark II.

Last edited:
It may just be better served to change the name on the existing thread and put your review and pics in there since it has historical content relevant to the (now debunked for manufacturing 1/4) company and since Play Imaginative is no longer in the 1/4 iron man business there will not be any new armors coming from the company. Perhaps change the title to say War Machine/Iron Patriot and call it a day. Don't think there are many collectors that own this piece anyway. I would be shocked if more than 250-500 of these were ever made.

Now once Comicave starts pumping out quarter scale (Still a big ?), then that is definitely a cause for new threads and content.

Nice review anyways. It is a great figure.

It may just be better served to change the name on the existing thread and put your review and pics in there since it has historical content relevant to the (now debunked for manufacturing 1/4) company and since Play Imaginative is no longer in the 1/4 iron man business there will not be any new armors coming from the company. Perhaps change the title to say War Machine/Iron Patriot and call it a day. Don't think there are many collectors that own this piece anyway. I would be shocked if more than 250-500 of these were ever made.

Now once Comicave starts pumping out quarter scale (Still a big ?), then that is definitely a cause for new threads and content.

The old threads are filled with lots of negativity. I have taken the time to post a nice review along with historical data. I feel that each of the two figures they released need to be recognized. I will be posting a separate thread for the Iron Patriot as well. You are welcome to post your pictures of the Exclusive edition that nobody has in this thread.

I understand, but it is not like these are hotly sought after anyways. The PI thread pops up once every few months and all there will be is bashing anyways. This thread will be buried and gone in no time, so just kind of redundant unless the 3 people that own one post on it.

I don't read or see anyone clamoring for recognition of PI pieces but if you want to showcase your reviews it is your right to do so.

I understand, but it is not like these are hotly sought after anyways. The PI thread pops up once every few months and all there will be is bashing anyways. This thread will be buried and gone in no time, so just kind of redundant unless the 3 people that own one post on it.

I don't read or see anyone clamoring for recognition of PI pieces but if you want to showcase your reviews it is your right to do so.

I have added a condensed version of the Rise and Fall of PI and the re branding at the top of the page. I have not posted in almost a year. I don't do much on Youtube , but really was excited to get these figures because I got bored with 1/6. I feel I bought a piece of history and is a great example of how anyone with an idea can start a company and do too much at one time, then run out of money and starts another company under a different name rinse and repeat, because they don't want the idea of making cool die cast large format articulated figures to die.

The attention to detail from the way the figures are packed all the way to stamping the bottom of the battery tray on base with the Marvel license tells me they really had good intentions of selling quality products.

Well they want to make money and are trying to do so in 1/4 scale. I dont think they are as passionate about creating cool die cast figures as much as it is a void in the marketplace right now for iron man. Comicave is owned by a venture capitalist conglomerate and they see there is no room for 1/6 as HT has a stranglehold, so they are trying a business pitch to 1/4 scale. They have yet to execute 1/4 product and the one suit they have produced for the 1/12 line (Shotgun) is lukewarm reviews at best right now. I've seen several videos complaining about bad paint and limbs popping off when trying to dynamically pose it.

They are in a busy space with King arts for their 6-9 inch line now for premium small scale, they could end up crashing from that as well.

The Play imaginative story has been hashed though 100 times now and it is just unnecessary at this point to start another thread about them just because you bought a figure. You are really not adding anything new that has not already been said or is not public knowledge. Their track record speaks for itself, if they were any good and what they did we would have a multitude of PI threads and not just one on life support.

I do LOVE my 1/4 War Machine and will proudly display it with HT 1/4 iron man but let's not celebrate mediocrity marketing campaigns and poor business execution just because we own a figure.:lol

What is a good price for this?

BBTS has then in stock for 599, but I bought him from a company called JustinDirect.com. Took me a while to google to find their web site , and its not the greatest for consumers, but they are out of Atlanta Georgia and had great communication with me. You can even call them direct and speak to someone. I bought WarMachine and got reward points instantly, then applied reward points to Iron Patriot. I wasn't able to find any US sellers for Iron Patriot except for this JustinDirect company. Anyway they have War Machine for 530.00 plus shipping which is about 70.00 off retail. They also have Iron Patriot for 594.00 plus ship.

Justin Direct Super Alloy - 1/4 Scale War Machine MK II (Regular Edition)

Thank you.

What do you think of the joints? I know 1/6 HT die cast has issues when you pose them as die cast is too heavy.

Thinking of getting this to pose alongside 1/4 HT's...this is cheaper than HT AND its die cast...so even if HT comes out with a war machine 1/4 I won't need to get it

Thank you.

What do you think of the joints? I know 1/6 HT die cast has issues when you pose them as die cast is too heavy.

Thinking of getting this to pose alongside 1/4 HT's...this is cheaper than HT AND its die cast...so even if HT comes out with a war machine 1/4 I won't need to get it

I can say the joints seem to be strong on this guy. Keep in mind you are talking 1/4 scale, the joints are larger so much more meat on them. I think as long as you are posing the figure slowly it will be fine for the long run. Just like any of my Armors I slow down , and am aware of what parts are moving. If I feel something not moving I don't go any further. Personally I don't do anything really dynamic for any of my figures. Supposedly he can do the landing pose, but I have not tried.

Overall he is a nice figure and I'm happy with him. Oh and he is a true 1/4 scale figure so 18 inches tall. I know Hot Toys in the past doesn't stick to industry standard 1/4 scale measurements. All my 1/4 scale from Enterbay were also 18" tall. My Hot Toys Endo was less than 18" . We wont know until the Hot Toys Mark 43 comes out. I'm hoping ComicCave will actually release the 1/4 Super Alloy Die Cast Mark 43 and 45. They just recently showed off the Mark 43 with motorized face plate. Anyway I don't care what company produces 1/4 scale, but I'm all in for any new 1/4 Die cast figures.

Hope this helps you out.

Are the ball joints and connectors die-casts or just plastic? I wonder if they will withstand time due to the weight.

Are the ball joints and connectors die-casts or just plastic? I wonder if they will withstand time due to the weight.

I just took this pic of his Arm joint. It looks like it is 2 large pieces. Both are plastic. The one piece is inside the other. The joint has an upper arm lift motion and the inner piece moves to make this motion. Then if you want to move the arm in a circular motion you are using the larger outer diameter piece. It is very tight and firm. I don't hear any ratchet sounds. I feel that by them making this piece plastic we shouldn't have any issues with it. It is a solid piece of plastic unlike My Hot Toys Die Cast figures.
/

I just took this pic of his Arm joint. It looks like it is 2 large pieces. Both are plastic. The one piece is inside the other. The joint has an upper arm lift motion and the inner piece moves to make this motion. Then if you want to move the arm in a circular motion you are using the larger outer diameter piece. It is very tight and firm. I don't hear any ratchet sounds. I feel that by them making this piece plastic we shouldn't have any issues with it. It is a solid piece of plastic unlike My Hot Toys Die Cast figures.
/

Thanks for the picture, I do agree that a single solid piece of plastic is much stronger than multiple ones that are glued together.

I see that you have forget to remove the plastic film on it's body. :lol

Thanks for the picture, I do agree that a single solid piece of plastic is much stronger than multiple ones that are glued together.

I see that you have forget to remove the plastic film on it's body. :lol

Yeah if you look at the video I posted of him I explained that since the majority of the body is die cast they put clear heavy plastic that feels like a phone screen protector at the articulated joints to prevent any battle damage during shipping :wink1:. Honestly I'm gonna leave them there for now. When I decide to remove them I will just move the parts slowly for any poses even if they are simple.

I forgot to show in my video the repulsors on the boots. They are a little smaller than a dime. I don't know if I would ever put him in a flying pose, but would looks cool with the LEDs lit up. He does come with a very thick clamp and 1/2 Acrylic rod that looks like it would support him just fine.

Last edited:
Thanks, just bought for a great price too off ebay.

Now need to find the iron patriot...hmmm...but i will wait to get war machine first to decide whether i go further.

re HT 1/4ths, sideshow has them down for 20inches...so i assume similar proportions?

Thanks, just bought for a great price too off ebay.

Now need to find the iron patriot...hmmm...but i will wait to get war machine first to decide whether i go further.

re HT 1/4ths, sideshow has them down for 20inches...so i assume similar proportions?

Congrats man, I think you'll be happy with him. I'm hoping that the Hot Toys Iron Man 1/4 scale is 18" tall for just the figure. I'm thinking the 20" reference is with the figure on top of the base. All my Enterbay 1/4 scale figures are 18" tall so hoping Hot Toys follows suit.

1/4 scale IM should be a bit taller than 18 inches. Guy in a suit, and all that. My XM Mark XLII is about 19.5 inches tall, which I think is just about perfect. Looks imposing.

1/4 scale IM should be a bit taller than 18 inches. Guy in a suit, and all that. My XM Mark XLII is about 19.5 inches tall, which I think is just about perfect. Looks imposing.

All I have to compare to is my Enterbay 1/4 scale figures which measure in at 18" as well. I guess 1/4 scale for Enterbay is based on a 6ft Person 18x4=72.

My Hot Toys Endo is about 16.5" tall so I guess 1/4 scale can be whatever the sculptor wants. Just wish they would have some type of industry standard to stick to so we can stand any companies figure next to each other and not see a difference. I'm still shocked at the 1/6 Die Cast Iron Man III being shorter than any other armor.

Back