1/4 Play Imaginative - Super Alloy Die Cast - Iron Man 3 - Iron Patriot - Review

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow with a side of Wow lol
That's my initial impression! As to not take over this thread I will post most of my pictures and opinion in the general PI thread but man.. This is good!
dc71bcf0d75f11020e1388e8b2455f25.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looking good Royce:clap. This looks like it will pair great with the hot toys QS line. Seriously considering crossing over to 1/4

I've already made the jump and I say go for it! Fewer options but for me that is a good thing. At 1/6 I was tempted to buy everything lol.. If you have the space there is nothing like having these large and detailed display pieces.

I've already made the jump and I say go for it! Fewer options but for me that is a good thing. At 1/6 I was tempted to buy everything lol.. If you have the space there is nothing like having these large and detailed display pieces.

I told you he is awesome. I felt the same way about my 1/6 collection. I want everyone that comes out in 1/4 scale, and to hold a figure that has about 80% die cast is such a good feeling.

Oh and please post as many pics as you want in this thread too. Congrats :hi5:

Glad to see this guy getting some love!
267330ebc9f9e9ed571ec79faf54b535.jpg

5881ad74211361bb7f9f25ecf7eb1aa9.jpg

Last edited:
Glad to see this guy getting some love!
267330ebc9f9e9ed571ec79faf54b535.jpg

5881ad74211361bb7f9f25ecf7eb1aa9.jpg

He commands so much presence in 1/4 scale. I'm glad to see you received a base with the Iron Patriot Plaque. There was a reviewer on Youtube who showed his Iron Patriot had the War machine plaque inside the Iron Patriot box. As far as I'm concerned if these are the only QC issues they had then I would be willing to buy the Mark 42 right now as is if it really as produced.

Anyway , you IP looks great and like the fact you put on the Battle damaged pieces. It almost makes me want to buy another IP to have one displayed with Battle Damage and one without. :panic:

Yeah he does. He is now the centerpiece of my display and I'll pair him with the Hot Toys 43 when it comes out. I see that I forgot to put on the damaged faceplate in the picture above but I've corrected it. I'm very impressed with this figure. Just a week ago I never imagined that I would find a 1/4 scale version of one of my favorite armors!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yeah he does. He is now the centerpiece of my display and I'll pair him with the Hot Toys 43 when it comes out. I see that I forgot to put on the damaged faceplate in the picture above but I've corrected it. I'm very impressed with this figure. Just a week ago I never imagined that I would find a 1/4 scale version of one of my favorite armors!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My 1/6th collection was getting stale and I needed to add to my 1/4 collection and Bamm.... this guy really got me back into collecting again. I dont know if that is good, or bad :lol

Oh and wanted to mention, The Captain America Shield looks great as a backdrop to your display as well.

I have not hit the PO button for Hot Toys 1/4 Mark 43, I'm holding my breath for Mark 43 from ComicCave. I'm just sold on having a figure almost all Die Cast even though I wont be picking him up all the time. Hot Toys nailed the Tony head sculpt so it would be hard to beat. Either way I think the Mark 43 armor will be an amazing Armor to stand next to Iron Patriot.

Thanks for the compliment.

I wish Hot Toys would give us a 1/4 Cap in his Civil War gear. Hopefully these figures sell great so that they continue the series.

Yeah I don't think anyone is touching that Stark head sculpt. I could not pass on that.

looks great royce!

I am pretty sure I will get it now, just want to get war machine first...in case i have regrets about PI though doesn't look like I will.

Agree on 1/4 Cap HT. I was surprised they did TWO IM's in a row...I mean what the...I guess it was a bit of a money grab knowing IM is their best line...

I sure that you will be pleased. I don't see how anyone can walk away unimpressed. Part of me wants to go ahead and grab War Machine but I'm fighting the urge for now.

I was also surprised when Hot Toys announced back to back 1/4 scale Iron Man figures but I think I see the strategy. Iron Man has been a big seller so it's a good bet that even collectors who have never dabbled in 1/4 scale will venture over to grab Iron Man. Once you have 1 figure you are now open to the possibility of adding more 1/4 scale figures. Gotcha! The same goes for Star Wars. What better franchise to put out iconic characters at 1/4 scale if you are trying to grow the market. I think this was their first wave attempt at growing the market and they will start giving us 2 or 3 quarter scale figures a year. Fingers crossed.

Agreed with you guys on Captain America. I think that maybe once they see how well Iron Man 1/4 will sell that maybe they will release more figures in 1/4 scale than 2 releases each year. Cap would be a great addition especially with the upcoming Civil War movie.

On the other hand I dont know how long the Licensing deal is between Marvel and Play imaginative was so maybe that's why Hot Toys started with 1/4 Mark 43 as the first release instead of any of the others. As I understand only one company at a time can hold a license to do a Specific figure in a Specific scale. Plus I'm sure Hot Toys wouldn't want to step on their bread and butter 1/6 Iron man line that is doing so well for them.

And NECA had the 1/4 license for the Avengers Mark 7. I'd love that one in die-cast.

Yeah a 1/4 scale Mark 7 would be awesome especially for a clean paint job. Reading back in threads Play Imaginative made a 1/6 Die Cast mark 7, but people who received them said the paint was poor, lots of mistakes in the finish. Maybe because it was a Shinny candy Red automotive paint job instead of a muted semi gloss finish like the 1/4 scale has.

I wonder if when you get permission to use a license , you need Marvel to approve the final paint job before production? I wonder if PI tried that on the Mark 7 giving it more of a muted tone and they said no it has to be Shinny gloss.

Yeah a 1/4 scale Mark 7 would be awesome especially for a clean paint job. Reading back in threads Play Imaginative made a 1/6 Die Cast mark 7, but people who received them said the paint was poor, lots of mistakes in the finish. Maybe because it was a Shinny candy Red automotive paint job instead of a muted semi gloss finish like the 1/4 scale has.

I wonder if when you get permission to use a license , you need Marvel to approve the final paint job before production? I wonder if PI tried that on the Mark 7 giving it more of a muted tone and they said no it has to be Shinny gloss.

I have the Mark VI from PI. There were two batches for it. The first batch was terrible QC. Bad paint, pink panties, limbs popping off. Then the HOA lights were bad and electronics not working with remotes. However, I did get a second batch and mine was fine. For a museum pose figure it beats the HT in proportions and look. The PI is just very restricted for articulation and has less function features like the back flaps. The head is much better in proportions than HT as well and is a fine looking suit.

The paint on mine is very good and no pink panties. Have it in a box so will have to go check and see if any of that has changed. :lol

I have the Mark VI from PI. There were two batches for it. The first batch was terrible QC. Bad Paint, Pink panties, limps popping off. Then the HOA lights were bad and electronics not working with remotes. However, I did get a second batch and mine was fine. For a museum pose figure it beats the HT in proportions and look. The PI is just very restricted for articulation and has less function features like the back flaps. The body is much better in proportions than GT as well and is a fine looking suit.

The paint on mine is very good and no pink panties. Have it in a box so will have to go check and see if any of that has changed. :lol

The

Ah ok interesting. I saw a guy who had 2 on ebay the other day selling for 325 shipped factory sealed. I wouldn't know if they were from first or second batch. I was thinking about getting one for a museum pose anyway. I liked the idea they used with magnets activating the HOA base too. Plus remote was a cool idea. My HT HOA lighting system feels sub par with having the walls needing separate batteries than the base. Since the HOA bases are pressure fit, i feel they could have given us a metal contact when you slide the wall back to make contact with the base and provide power that way. Oh well wooden batteries connected to a power supply works too :)

I'm guessing the "panties" are made of metal instead of plastic so maybe they wouldn't have the same chemical reaction that the plastic ones have causing the fading over time.

Ah ok interesting. I saw a guy who had 2 on ebay the other day selling for 325 shipped factory sealed. I wouldn't know if they were from first or second batch. I was thinking about getting one for a museum pose anyway. I liked the idea they used with magnets activating the HOA base too. Plus remote was a cool idea. My HT HOA lighting system feels sub par with having the walls needing separate batteries than the base. Since the HOA bases are pressure fit, i feel they could have given us a metal contact when you slide the wall back to make contact with the base and provide power that way. Oh well wooden batteries connected to a power supply works too :)

I'm guessing the "panties" are made of metal instead of plastic so maybe they wouldn't have the same chemical reaction that the plastic ones have causing the fading over time.

The Mark VII PI has rubber/plastic panties, that's why the oxidation is fading them. Don't know if they used metal paint on plastic/rubber but what ever they did its causing a reaction. The hall of armor is way better than HT version. If PI sold that with the removable walls I would have jumped all over it. The lighting is good, the back wall is all diecast and heavy. I like the waist grabbers too.

For $325 that is a damn steal if it is a second batch. The hall of armor alone is worth $100 bucks. So is a die cast Mark VII worth it? I would say two thumbs up if its a guaranteed good batch :lol.

The Mark VII PI has rubber/plastic panties, that's why the oxidation is fading them. Don't know if they used metal paint on plastic/rubber but what ever they did its causing a reaction. The hall of armor is way better than HT version. If PI sold that with the removable walls I would have jumped all over it. The lighting is good, the back wall is all diecast and heavy. I like the waist grabbers too.

For $525 that is a damn steal if it is a second batch. The hall of armor alone is worth $100 bucks. So is a die cast Mark VII worth it? I would say two thumbs up if its a guaranteed good batch :lol.

Ok plastic/rubber panties. Well then I guess time will tell if and when they fade.

As for the look of the PI HOA they look like they have a lot of space above his head. I did notice in one review the die cast back wall and the waste grabber magnets looks more mech then just the HT HOA crotch grabber.

The guy on eBay had 2 that didn't sell last week for 299 plus 25 ship. They were both factory sealed just don't know what batch they are from.

Maybe I'll just go for it and buy one from him

Back