1/4: Hot Toys - QS009 - Batman Begins - Batman Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Put some clear gloss on the gauntlets. Not sure if I'll keep them like that or remove it but at least it does contrast and show the suit is not as glossy as it looks on camera. Also that is one of the Enterbay mouth plates I'm using with him there.

batman5.jpg

His "who scores highest" video is really interesting. I think it just further shows how good of a deal the NECA version is (in fact I think it should have won in value for money) however it's also just not in the same league as the other two. I absolutely adore NECA but overall the other 2 show a higher quality and craftsmanship due to the price inflation. I just don't really think it's a fair comparison to even throw the NECA into the mix honestly though it's still fun to see.

I don't think the NECA figure should have been included in that… it does not have a rubber suit around the figure,
so the real comparison is the Enterbay vs. Hot Toys.

Put some clear gloss on the gauntlets. Not sure if I'll keep them like that or remove it but at least it does contrast and show the suit is not as glossy as it looks on camera. Also that is one of the Enterbay mouth plates I'm using with him there.

View attachment 417313

How is the paint on the Enterbay mouth plates?
In Dean's video, they look pale-skinned in comparison with the Hot Toys face plates.

That's more of an exaggeration caused by the lighting.
I just saw that! The colours of the suit and cape looked spot on in the stuff he filmed at night.

Dean's scores for the three figures:

Interesting he gave it to HT on the cowl but EB on the eyes and mouth plates. NECA doing very well when you consider the price points of all three.

I'd be in agreement with Dean's scores for the most part....i too prefer the finish of the EB suit..and neither cowls are perfect but i prefer the shape of HT ,but they really should have added the pers system...real shame as they look and work great on the TDK version and would have elevated this figure.

The overall body proportions of HT is the real standout though and look fantastic

View attachment 417313

Nice work:clap

That's more of an exaggeration caused by the lighting.

I'd be in agreement with Dean's scores for the most part....i too prefer the finish of the EB suit..and neither cowls are perfect but i prefer the shape of HT ,but they really should have added the pers system...real shame as they look and work great on the TDK version and would have elevated this figure.

The overall body proportions of HT is the real standout though and look fantastic

Nice work:clap

I agree with all of this, the cowl looks fine to me… and I agree with Dean that the thicker neck on the HT cowl
looks very beastial and panther-like.

100% on the PERS being part of this cowl, as much as Hot Toys seems to love PERS… this was an odd choice to skip it here.
Whether HT eyes are the wrong color or not, they are the most life-like of the three.

How is the paint on the Enterbay mouth plates?
In Dean's video, they look pale-skinned in comparison with the Hot Toys face plates.

They are a little more pale than the HT mouth plates yes. I would agree with Dean Knight the EB expressions do a better job of capturing Bale's likeness. The stubble is also more rough and lifelike whereas HT just painted it on.

Both figures very much have their strengths and weaknesses but this HT figure will be easier to customise and improve. The body and cowl have the perfect proportions, build quality excellent.

Some clear matte would give the suit a similar finish to the EB and a custom cape allow him to achieve that classic moody Batman Begins look.

With the EB not much can be done about the cheap fragile underlying body. It's a glorified statue albeit gorgeous to look at!

It’s definitely better with a enterbay mouth plate on, which is a bit of a bummer HT’s definitely kopout with the mouth pieces.
I think the EB brings Bale out and it makes the face look more realistic
There’s a very small gap at the top of the mouth but I can live with it
7143E89E-9C1E-4137-A842-8F588BA893BA.jpg886D35F5-AE6A-4176-9F10-69A3F8B80355.jpg47FA43AE-5FC3-406C-99E9-CD33666DE347.jpgD73F4E2A-424A-47CB-90B8-4C91000DEF59.jpg

I think the Hot Toys cowl with the Enterbay mouth plate on the Enterbay body would look near perfect. Especially with that nice custom cape Dean Knight has on his Enterbay figure. That's what I'd try if I had both figures and that cape

I think the Hot Toys cowl with the Enterbay mouth plate on the Enterbay body would look near perfect. Especially with that nice custom cape Dean Knight has on his Enterbay figure. That's what I'd try if I had both figures and that cape

Sadly the HT cowl doesn't fit on the EB body.

Thats a shame. I didn't know that. If I had them and had the balls I'd glue it on if the peg was too small and just make him looking downwards and make it look as natural as possible. I don't have either figure so I can really mess with them I'm just imagining it and in my head it looks perfect

So, I had a thought regarding the chinsy looking base. I’ll be honest, I’ve always loved the idea of having Begins Batman as a companion piece to the TDKR Batman. Possibly moreso than getting a Joker, even. With that in mind, I like the idea of a sort of symmetry between them and I feel like that applies to the bases. The point I’m getting at is in wondering if the nameplates are the same size. Would it be possible to pry off the Begins nameplate and switch it out/glue it onto the TDKR base (if you can find one parted out)? Maybe even mix it up a little by having the different components separated contextually on each base (steel beams and Bane and Joker masks with TDKR; Scarecrow mask and dirt with Begins)?

So according to all those great videos, this Hot Toys one is the weakest of the three quarter scale figures.

Hot toys didn't put any effort into this release, especially when you compare it to the QS001 Dark Knight where they went all out. No eye options on an immobile character that desperately needs it. Mediocre face plate choices. Crappy cape. Another awful cape clip system. Ugly gauntlets. Rubber suit that looks like it belongs in a Schumacher Batman flick.

But hey, it's got a hunky cowl! Figure of the year material here.

Modifications on the 1/6 Begins figures where you're stuffing cotton here or there or buying a nice velvet $30 cape here never bugged me, but all the mods required to make this thing look decent is kind of insulting for $500. Swap crappy mouthplates with better faces from a superior figure, throw the cape away and buy an expensive custom cape, glue the gauntlets and/or paint them, etc. etc. and you might have a decent display. Just seems like too much work and money going into something that has little to no value. After numerous attempts at this guy since 2006, they still can't get it right. They still make stands that destroy the crotches of rubber suited figures. Dean Knight hasn't even had his for a week and it's gotten ****ed up.

I don't get why people try to hype this thing up as the second coming. If the "Hot Toys" name and logo weren't attached to this thing, I doubt it would be lauded over. It's so generic on it own. You don't get a nice cape and can't pose it like you can with the NECA and it doesn't have the accuracy, presence, display options and realism of the Enterbay? But it costs more than both of them combined? Why? It's also funny how people were defending the Hot Toys faces saying they looked good and looked like Bale until videos and pics of it with the Enterbay faces popped up. So other than the cowl sculpt, what's good about this figure again? :lol

EDIT:

And I see jokes about the "Elvis" mouth plate, but honestly, of the three that's the only good one and the only one that actually looks like Bale. He made that goofy mouth while talking all the time. That, the cowl and I guess the metal batarangs seem like the only real positives to come out of this thing.

Maybe this would have worked better as a 1/4 scale bust . . .

IMG_9875.JPG

So according to all those great videos, this Hot Toys one is the weakest of the three quarter scale figures.

Hot toys didn't put any effort into this release, especially when you compare it to the QS001 Dark Knight where they went all out. No eye options on an immobile character that desperately needs it. Mediocre face plate choices. Crappy cape. Another awful cape clip system. Ugly gauntlets. Rubber suit that looks like it belongs in a Schumacher Batman flick.

Modifications on the 1/6 Begins figures where you're stuffing cotton here or there or buying a nice velvet $30 cape here never bugged me, but all the mods required to make this thing look decent is kind of insulting for $500. Swap crappy mouthplates with better faces from a superior figure, throw the cape away and buy an expensive custom cape, glue the gauntlets and/or paint them, etc. etc. and you might have a decent display. Just seems like too much work and money going into something that has little to no value. After numerous attempts at this guy since 2006, they still can't get it right. They still make stands that destroy the crotches of rubber suited figures. Dean Knight hasn't even had his for a week and it's gotten ****ed up.

I don't get why people try to hype this thing up as the second coming. If the "Hot Toys" name and logo weren't attached to this thing, I doubt it would be lauded over. It's so generic on it own. You don't get a nice cape and can't pose it like you can with the NECA and it doesn't have the accuracy, presence, display options and realism of the Enterbay? But it costs more than both of them combined? Why? It's also funny how people were defending the Hot Toys faces saying they looked good and looked like Bale until videos and pics of it with the Enterbay faces popped up. So other than the cowl sculpt, what's good about this figure again? :lol

EDIT:

And I see jokes about the "Elvis" mouth plate, but honestly, of the three that's the only good one and the only one that actually looks like Bale. He made that goofy mouth while talking all the time. That, the cowl and I guess the metal batarangs seem like the only real positives to come out of this thing.

Maybe this would have worked better as a 1/4 scale bust . . .

View attachment 417487

I completely agree! I love hottoys but they should of kept this figure on the back burner. Way over priced for what we got and sadly I think the joker will be the same fate. Hell for that price joker should of had non sculpted hair.

EDIT:

Wow… that's a lot of anger / negativity towards this figure.
To each his own, but I disagree with it being the "weakest" of the three.

CONS:

- The PERS system would have been ideal, missed opportunity.
- The cape clips suck, no question there.
- Yes, the gauntlets are a bad design, 100% agreed.
- I hate the stand design still, lol.

MIDDLE GROUND:

- The face plates are fine, as much as I dislike the elvis lip… but paint and sculpts are great.
- What do you want besides a rubber suit?! That's pretty much what it is, just painted more gloss than charcoal matte.

PROS:

- I think the cape is the best of the three 1/4 BB figures, quality-wise.
- Best proportions of the three.
- Best underlying body of the three, really good and solid articulation.
- Best sculpted cowl of the three.
- Best sculpted and painted Bale head sculpt of the three.
- Great "first night out" setup, which the others don't have.

I watched all of Dean's videos, and that is what I gathered on this guy. Those videos also convinced me to pick one up.
Whether it is "worth" the $500 is 100% each individual's choice.

I personally am very happy with how this figure looks in what I've seen thus far. This will be my first 1/4 scale figure. I had the 1/6 Batsuit Begins figure and wasn't particularly happy with it so I sold that a long time ago and I currently have just the TDKR 1/6 figure as my only Bale figure. I also have the DX11 and have ordered the 1/4 Joker. To be honest I am a lot more excited for the BB figure. I guess it goes by preference but I really like the glossed suit.

How does it cost more than the EB and NECA combined? I assume that's the price of the EB when it first released 5 years ago so the comparison seems unfair and good luck finding the EB figure for that price now!

Having watched Dean's review I'd have to agree some of the choices HT made are pretty unforgivable. As nice as the cape is, why didn't they just leave the pleats out, put the clips in the right place and allow it to wrap about him? Selfishly I have the EB for that look so it doesn't bother me but of course most people getting this figure will want to be able to pull off those iconic Batman Begins cloaked poses.

The finish on the suit isn't as shiny as it looks on camera with bright lights shining right at it but no doubt it isn't as matte as it should be. That was obvious a year ago when it was first shown at SDCC. It should have been a really simple fix for HT. Is it really only Prime 1 that respond to feedback and improve their products up to release? I still think it would be fairly easy to use some clear matte to get that movie accurate finish but we really shouldn't have to be doing that.

The inability to move the eyes is the biggest single con for me. Other issues can be fixed and customised but that eye position we are stuck with. Should have simply put the same mechanism in here that the QS001 has.

It's a pity Dean's figure has that issue with the right arm pushing out to the side. Both arms are fine on my figure so hopefully that's not a widespread fault.

I don't have any damage to the groin area of his suit yet but having seen those visible marks in the review it's probably best not to use the crotch grabber with him. Again, how could HT not pick this up during production?

Overall I'd still highly recommend the figure and have no regrets picking it up despite the issues. Most of the cons are fixable through mods. Great build quality, accurate cowl and body proportions. It's truly spectacular with the first night out look. The more I look at the Wayne sculpt the better it gets, really can't comprehend how so many people don't think it looks like Bale.

one of the EB heads is practically the same colour tone as the body
So I’ve been messing about with it all day and I’ve the took the connection socket out of HTs head drimmled it to fit inside EB’s head
cut along story short
I can now put the EB’s heads on
90843A78-F2E7-469D-947D-B213814AEB37.jpg039B7F67-739A-456D-8662-B67997BA7A56.jpg67878F01-5BF2-43D9-A9C5-BB9018FAF587.jpg4AAA0D7E-6414-455B-A115-C257079C8164.jpg37BAE882-2929-4505-B05C-49F42C441022.jpg3EC749F4-DCEB-42AA-AD2A-BACD45712EF4.jpgF6E2EF5F-757D-4C9B-B24D-2B2A9D4158B2.jpg

Back