1/4 Hot Toys - QS005 - Avengers: AoU - Iron Man Mark 43 Collectible Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Man some people sure do like fighting.

Guess that's what happens when you're a grown ass man and still buy toys.

Well I'm a statue collector, and if I get this it would be my first Hot Toy. I haven't gotten any because, well, I don't like how they look like "toys". If I can't display him along with my other pieces, and he requires a visible rod to display, then I don't want him.
The figure looks like a 1/1 statue is some pictures. I don't think you'll be disappointed with this even if you're more interested in statues. Usually a figure looks like a "toy" because of joints showing, proportions, paint app and how well it's futz.

Based on some photos I would have mistaken it for a statue if I didn't know any better. It works a lot better on a character like Iron Man since the figure is primarily armor based.

12273609_10153168915142344_707508134212558145_o.jpg

12238453_10153168920582344_7572555307166930283_o.jpg

12240276_10153168920222344_8752582037748009696_o.jpg

12240879_10153168923357344_1244114291411166872_o.jpg

12265918_10153168923352344_1316850162298302668_o.jpg

Yeah, Iron Man is probably the one figure I would like at quarter scale due to the incredible armour detail. I wouldn't want Thor or Cap at that scale I don't think. If I did I'd just stick to statues. What I like about sixth scale with figures is the economy of space that you can use with them.

But on the realism look for sculpts. I will say that the new Sideshow Loki PFF looks really off compared to the last two HT figures, yet the Sideshow Nathan Drake kicks the Sideshow Nathan Drake figure in every single way. If that's an example of HT vs Sideshow, then I'll stick to HT unless another PFF comes up that I really, really want (like The Last of Us)

Yeah, you nailed it - I don't go for Hot Toys, even though they're very cool, because I hate joints showing. They don't fit with my collection. But with this being Iron Man, he doesn't look too much like an action figure unless you look close. This figure looks damn impressive in some shots.

And that Tony Stark/RDJ head is unreal.

yeap, thats why i only collect 1/4th of mecha's like iron man. humanoids should be 1/6th, difficult to look real at 1/4th scale in my opinion.

yeap, thats why i only collect 1/4th of mecha's like iron man. humanoids should be 1/6th, difficult to look real at 1/4th scale in my opinion.

I'd say it was the opposite. Some of the cloth at 1/6 is way out of scale and can make some 1/6 figures look like high end barbie dolls.

I agree with this, I mainly collect 1/4 statues but I really want this figure. I just wish it wasn't so cumbersome to switch all the lights on and off. That video from budget stark shows how many flaps and little switches there are. I hopefully have the iron studios mark 43 statue coming next year that will fill the quarter scale gap but it kills me that I won't have this headsculpt lol

For those who wanted to know, Budget Stark has uploaded a video showing where all the switches are located.

Thanks for the heads up. I just finished watching the video and I must say I'm disappointed at all those compartments and switches. I would have imagined HT would have found a way to eliminate most of those switches on the 1/4 scale figure. I was really hoping for one or two max. Who has the patience to disassemble all that everytime they want the lights on?

I can understand why they don't do it.. I just wish they would get creative to come up with a solution. The reason they don't run all the lights off of a single switch or even a few switches is just a conflict with the nature of a articulated figure with swappable parts. The head with always contain its own switch because it's removable. To power the torso and limbs with one switch would require them to wire it internally and the articulation would inevitably lead to pinched wires and shorts as users handle and pose the figure. Just my opinion.. I think they can improve in where the switches are located and how they are activated. I think they should always be push buttons instead of switches and incorporated in a way that blends in with the figure and are easy to reach at the same time. See 3A's Bumblebee for an example of how it should be done. Iron man has enough panels and rivets that they could have easily used some of them as hidden buttons for light functions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the heads up. I just finished watching the video and I must say I'm disappointed at all those compartments and switches. I would have imagined HT would have found a way to eliminate most of those switches on the 1/4 scale figure. I was really hoping for one or two max. Who has the patience to disassemble all that everytime they want the lights on?
Because if they were all connected to one switch, they would have to run all wires throughout the body to connect to one source. Having the switches be at individual locations (arm, legs, chest, neck) allows the electronic to just stay within the area the LED's are located at.

The SOAP thing Budget uses is just applying a bunch of wires from all the battery components and connecting it to one power source. Hot Toys doesn't want to deal with that on an articulated figure. They did a remote control type deal with the LED's in the Batman Armory only because that was a stationary prop piece.

I agree though that they could come up with something better than what they have now. We won't be seeing a one switch deal anytime soon though.

It's also about redundancy. If one switch fails or one wire then there's a chance people won't need to return or replace the entire figure. Or if say the arm is broken...and this is a general statement for all figures with lights at all scales by hot toys....they can replace that single part. Say the head, or arm. BUT if it's all wired to a single section there's zero chance of that(without expensive engineering and research). It's cheaper to replace a single foot or arm then a returned or replaced figure becuase a single wire failed. There's ten thousand things that they have to consider with this figures that most collectors never think about.

Back