1/4 Comicave Studios - The Avengers Age of Ultron Hulkbuster Super Alloy Collectible

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is this the same Play Imaginative that showed a huge load of prototypes at Asian toy fairs and then put out practically nothing? Don't expect to see this anytime soon if ever.

Yes it is. And this is the same studio that has been behind PI since 2006. Something the CEO brags about, like its good that you have been at this nearly a decade and even most hardcore fans know nothing about your product (even PI) or your company. And those that due talk about how bad your QC and CS are

I did find out I was wrong about it not being fully mech and remote driven. At least the proto at the premier. So it does open up with the push of a button on a remote. Which in theory is amazing.

But these guys have crap reps with actual product. 90% does not make it to production, and what does has QC issues that are way to high.

Yes it is. And this is the same studio that has been behind PI since 2006. Something the CEO brags about, like its good that you have been at this nearly a decade and even most hardcore fans know nothing about your product (even PI) or your company. And those that due talk about how bad your QC and CS are

I did find out I was wrong about it not being fully mech and remote driven. At least the proto at the premier. So it does open up with the push of a button on a remote. Which in theory is amazing.

But these guys have crap reps with actual product. 90% does not make it to production, and what does has QC issues that are way to high.

for a hulkbuster which is 4 feets tall, with remote control moveable chest amour.
i doubt the price will be below 5000 dollars!

for a hulkbuster which is 4 feets tall, with remote control moveable chest amour.
i doubt the price will be below 5000 dollars!

Yeah, as great as the concept is, I couldn't bring myself to gamble that type of money on a company who has proven to be less than reliable. I'll stick with my 1/6 scale HT version.

Didn't play imaginative bring out all those 1:4 iron man suits like two years in the making and still didn't release not one? Guess why that's the name of the company..it's going to be avengers 4 and we still won't see this HB suit from them

Just looked them up, they have a 'Licensed by PI' section on their website so there's the link. :lol

COMICAVE STUDIOS |

- Singapore
- Subsidiary of large holding group
- Super Alloy
- Selling old/unreleased/about to finally be released PI 1/12 and 1/4 products under their name

Looks like Play Imaginative aren't dead, they just rebranded themselves. Who's looking forward to the next round of vapourware from them? :monkey1

Anyone know what figures PI had actually made it to production? And anyone handled one, how's the quality? What are the common QC issues being posted about?

People like to bash the top dog, but HT is a pretty solid company.

Anyone know what figures PI had actually made it to production? And anyone handled one, how's the quality? What are the common QC issues being posted about?

To the best of my knowledge:

1/12 Iron Man Mk 42 and War Machine Mk 2
1/6 Iron Man Mk VII (also comics versions of Superman and Batman, but this is the Marvel section...)
1/4 War Machine Mk 2

The 1/12 figures are allegedly solid (was tempted to buy one on deep clearance from Japan, but I have the SHF versions anyway and combined they were cheaper than one PI figure) if unspectacular. The 1/6 Mk VII lost them the 1/6 license, supposedly. Great proportions but riddled with QC issues. The 1/4 War Machine is apparently great but there's a tiny number of them in circulation.

The vid and 'prototype zero' looks outstanding.
- I have not heard of these guys, but it sounds like they seldom follow through with their products which is a shame.

The automation is a huge eye catcher though and certainly a talking point of a piece like this. The Price point is bound to be sky high if it does go on sale.

I don't know about smaller scale stuff but saw their 1/6 Mark 7 and 1/4 War Machine Mark 2 when I was on holiday in Hong Kong last year. The pieces were actually very good. Their problem with quality is their faulty electronics such as lights on the hall of armour not working. That being the case, if I were them, I'd stick to actually producing a well made figure. There's every chance that in the unlikely event a PI Hulbuster ever appeared, the fancy mechanism they display wouldn't actually work. Given that they were pricing higher than Hot Toys too, over a thousand bucks for a non- working Hulkbuster seems a ludicrous proposition! Good luck to them.

To the best of my knowledge:

1/12 Iron Man Mk 42 and War Machine Mk 2
1/6 Iron Man Mk VII (also comics versions of Superman and Batman, but this is the Marvel section...)
1/4 War Machine Mk 2

The 1/12 figures are allegedly solid (was tempted to buy one on deep clearance from Japan, but I have the SHF versions anyway and combined they were cheaper than one PI figure) if unspectacular. The 1/6 Mk VII lost them the 1/6 license, supposedly. Great proportions but riddled with QC issues. The 1/4 War Machine is apparently great but there's a tiny number of them in circulation.

There was definitely also a PI diecast 1/6 Midas available in Asia (a few turned up on Ebay in the UK, through one private reseller).. the 1/6 figures appeared to have a very restricted, Asia only, distribution deal.. possibly exploiting a contractual loophole for certain types of diecast figures, HT's legal team had overlooked.. since all PI's figures seemed to be diecast, with the 'Super Alloy' brand.

There was definitely also a PI diecast 1/6 Midas available in Asia (a few turned up on Ebay in the UK, through one private reseller).. the 1/6 figures appeared to have a very restricted, Asia only, distribution deal.. possibly exploiting a contractual loophole for certain types of diecast figures, HT's legal team had overlooked.. since all PI's figures seemed to be diecast, with the 'Super Alloy' brand.

The gold one was announced before Iron Man 3, believe it or not. It's not actually Midas, just a gold variant of the Mk VII. They also released a 'naked' variant that was plain plastic and diecast. Kind of cool, but way overpriced for what was effectively an unpainted, unfinished figure.

How did they get space at the red carpet premiere in LA? Hot Toys is doing all this amazing stuff at Asian premieres - how are they not there too?

"Comicave Studios, based in Singapore is a manufacturer of high quality pop-culture figurines. The company creates exciting products featured in movies and brings them to life through sophisticated technology and designs. Comicave Studios currently has licenses with Disney, Marvel, Transformers, Sanrio (Helllo Kitty), DC, Garfield, Tofu, Happy Tree Friends, Paul Frank and SpongeBob."

They are part of the Dubai based Al Ahli Holding Group which also owns Golds Gym among other things. So is Play Imaginative the manufacturing arm of Comical Studios or the other way around? Either way I suppose we won't see anything.

How did they get space at the red carpet premiere in LA? Hot Toys is doing all this amazing stuff at Asian premieres - how are they not there too?

Somebody somewhere (possibly Dubai) with a lot of money and no business sense decided they wanted space in Hot Toys' marketplace. I'm guessing they just threw some cash at Marvel to get these products that in all likelihood will never materialise shown at the premiere.

Back