1/3 Alien Big chap maquette - Coolprops

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
2018-112.jpg

It's awesome to see more pics coming in from you guy that have this incredible piece. Pilky, I love that you have the same opinion that I do on it.

Congratulations pilky!

About kast photo, ss big chap seems equal to coolprop’s statue? They are 1:4 and 1:3, aren’t they?

Thanks!

This thing is just 'okay'. Very soft (i.e. generically done digital) detail in the suit and head. The head is the coolest thing about it. I do like how it mimics the airbrushing Giger did under the dome, but if I'm buying it for that, I would just get the bust. I know the 'man-in-the-suit' museum pose and the 'accuracy' turn a lot of people on, but from a detail standpoint, it's an over-sized toy. At the end of the day, I would sell this off and keep my Giger signed CM. When you have them side by side you see you have a real piece of art (CM), and a plastic looking toy (CP). The way they ship the head is an absolute over-engineered nightmare, and ends up damaging the head. Paint is out and out poor. My .02. Buy it if you love Alien and want a rendition of the museum suit.

Last edited:
Congratulations pilky!
About kast photo, ss big chap seems equal to coolprop’s statue? They are 1:4 and 1:3, aren’t they?
Thanks!
We was studding aliens maquettes by SS with my friend Moguchiy H. Sideshow gave us only Dogalien scale, the 1/4 is on the box. All other statues have no scale mentioned. So we measured Dog, Chap and Warrior with the measuring tape and found that they are far bigger than 1/4 scale should be based on the height of Bolaji Badejo in suit. And we actually found that they are 1/3 scale, maybe little bit smaller. And that's why they are pretty the same sized.

The End.

This thing is just 'okay'. Very soft (i.e. poorly done digital) detail in the suit and head. The head is the coolest thing about it. I do like how it mimics the airbrushing Giger did under the dome, but if I'm buying it for that, I would just get the bust. I know the 'man-in-the-suit' museum pose and the 'accuracy' turn a lot of people on, but from a detail standpoint, it's an over-sized toy. At the end of the day, I would sell this off and keep my Giger signed CM. When you have them side by side you see you have a real piece of art (CM), and a plastic looking toy (CP). The way they ship the head is an absolute over-engineered nightmare, and ends up damaging the head. Paint is out and out poor. My .02. Buy it if you love Alien and want a rendition of the museum suit.

interesting take, as I know you are a stickler for detail. For you to come out of the wood works to post your opinion on it, I would be weary of buying this now.

Yeah azure, butial's gushing youtube review and darkmummy's stunning photos got me to bite on this. It's 'cool' but that's about as far as it goes. If you're a super Alien fanboy, get it. But don't expect it to be a true representation of the suit. It's like a facsimile. Yeah, they got the form right, but all of the 'real' detail is missing. All the fine textures you would expect.. non-existent. The saving grace is just how good the skull looks through the dome, but even that is marred by this area on the nose of the dome that is completely flat, like he got hit in the dome by a shovel. That was super-disappointing. You can really see it in Neny Dee's video of the early prototype here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8wVKQTHFKQ&t=149s

It's funny, in the video he talks about the lackluster paint, and says the coolprops owner said it would be 'better'. Unfortunately I WISH it looked like the one in the video, as the paint is far more drab that what is shown there.

Last edited:
Yes it does have some problem on manufacturing as I observed myself.I think coolprops still can not get things good enough but I am still happy for the museum pose and the accuracy.The portrait is really really accurate that can not be fond in any other Alien product by now.

Yeah azure, butial's gushing youtube review and darkmummy's stunning photos got me to bite on this. It's 'cool' but that's about as far as it goes. If you're a super Alien fanboy, get it. But don't expect it to be a true representation of the suit. It's like a facsimile. Yeah, they got the form right, but all of the 'real' detail is missing. All the fine textures you would expect.. non-existent. The saving grace is just how good the skull looks through the dome, but even that is marred by this area on the nose of the dome that is completely flat, like he got hit in the dome by a shovel. That was super-disappointing. You can really see it in Neny Dee's video of the early prototype here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8wVKQTHFKQ&t=149s

It's funny, in the video he talks about the lackluster paint, and says the coolprops owner said it would be 'better'. Unfortunately I WISH it looked like the one in the video, as the paint is far more drab that what is shown there.

Sorry, not all of us are a n a l -retentive and OCD when it comes to statues. There was absolutely nothing wrong with Burtial's review. Actually, he nailed it, for all of us normies. Without his review, I'd have passed. I'm glad I didn't. You have your opinion, and that's all it is. It's not greater than, or more nuanced than, anyone else's. What actually blows me away is that someone you don't even know, someone who you have no idea about their taste, aesthetic, etc., based passing on this statue, from what you wrote. I can't even imagine going there. It's utterly ridiculous. My opinion of what you wrote is you come off as some kind of statue edge-lord, and pretty cringe-worthy at that.

Again, my opinion, just like yours.

Not sure what your issue is there, I didn't see anything wrong with CF's reply...
The positive reviews resonated with you and you share those opinions.
I have mixed opinions on this piece in that I like that it represents the Giger museum piece, but not in it being a representation of the creature.
I expect accuracy and quality, and find it frustrating when companies make / people accept Alien and Predator pieces that there is obvious fault with.
For others that's a non issue.
Is this an amazing Alien statue, flawed masterpiece, too prop accurate for it's own good, digitally overdone, or an overpriced Kenner?

It is what it is.

CF's opinions on this piece resonate with me as I own the CM and I have taken pause to buy this because I share his view - despite the positive reviews in which I can also see the positives to this piece.

My opinion afer reading yours and watching burtial’s video review is that this piece is awesome!!! Glad I have this on pre order!

I have seen the cinemaquette 2 times. First time, exposed in a movie convention in Barcelona and last time at giger’s museum in switzerland. My opinion about it is that the coolest thing of this piece is the signature on its back (and when it is displayed, we can’t see it), accuracy and pose...that’s not the alien I see in the movies, neither the suit I saw at the giger’s museum.. I won’t buy it sorry (not for it’s actual prize (if you find it!), I won’t be interested on it even at it’s original prize).

I am glad for the ones who own it but again, for me it’s not the real Alien (it’s a representation, ok..I don’t like free representations even if they come signed by Giger. If I want a figure signed by the Master, I would go better for the 1/4 bust that at least has the signature in a plaque in the front so you can see it when the bust is displayed)

I won’t decide to buy a statue for a signature on it. I have already giger’s signature in a book and I don’t need it in this statue (it will be cool of course, but I prefer a more accurated version).

Coolprops statue is what I have seen at giger’s museum, that’s it and that’s all that I want. Better paintjob or pose...? We should tell this to Giger or to the museum but not to coolprops that I find they made an excellent job with this piece:)

Hope it will come in perfect conditions and can’t wait to display to display it next to coolprops’s bigchap bust.

Again my opinion too.

It's my review of the piece Pilky, not sure why you think you need to attack me personally for stating it, but it's exactly because of this kind of off-the-wall stupidity that I stopped stating anything on this forum. I was complementing both of the members I mentioned. The difference is, I gave a review on the statue, your review is of my review? Like I give a ****. The goal of my post was to let other potential buyers know that they should go into this very expensive purchase forewarned that the piece is not super-detailed. But don't worry Pilky, you won't have to worry about being offended by any of my future reviews, snowflake, as you quickly reminded me why I haven't bothered in forever.

And thank you for your response INFECDEAD. At least someone gets it.

Last edited:
The goal of my post was to let other potential buyers know that they should go into this very expensive purchase forewarned that the piece is not super-detailed.

Which in my case is an observation that I'm grateful to hear, and that will have a bearing on any potential purchase. Informed critique and dissenting opinion are the pillars of any forum, and I'm just glad that commenters like ComputerFly are willing to go against the grain if there's a valid point to be made. I think on balance I might buy the statue despite its shortcomings, but I certainly don't resent them being noted.

In the photos at least it does look very very good,i am not sure if they have a select few that paint them but it seems a shame to not produce 100% effort in this area to complete it perfectly.I am still unsure ComputerFly if the front of the dome is flat at the nose area or shaped,there are 2 phenominal full size sculpts on the RPF board that are the best I have seen,one with a flat bit and one without.I moulded Giger's original at his house for the museum and cannot remember lol.bruce3a.jpg

Hey Tvr, thanks for your input. The clear dome is what has the flat area. I've seen photos of the real dome where there is a tiny flat spot, just about the size of the nose. But the one on the CP head is too large by comparison and completely flat. The problem with that is, other than the fact it is inaccurate, is that flat area catches and reflects light. This in turn ruins the view, of what is arguably the best part of the statue, from some angles. Generally when I'm talking about the lack of detail on the piece, I'm talking about texture, and I'm talking about the 'depth' and crispness of the edges. They got the form right, but because it is a digital piece they just left everything too smooth. I don't think it's a good representation of the current state of what good digital sculpting can do, even from 5 years ago. Again, they got the forms right, but they left it far too soft. You have to realize most digital sculptors are just that. They've never done hand sculpting, and they certainly don't have anywhere near the talent of the artists who created that suit, so they don't have the experience it takes to make something feel truly organic. It's a decent attempt and the best to date, but it is still lacking in some areas.

Thanks for helping me out on the dome issue ComputerFly and I understand exactly where you are coming from :).
With regards the digital sculpt work to the "hands on" physical sculpt I could not agree more,being an older gent that is how I learnt to sculpt and there is nothing like having the physical piece in front of you.Look back to the early 90's and the rise of the Garage Kit world,go to any show like Chiller etc and the talent that was on show,both from Europe,America and Japan boy it was and still is stunning.You are right again there does seem to be a very fine but true difference between a digital sculpt and a physical sculpt...………….rant over lol.If you get a chance pop over to the RPF board and check out this guy Leigh's bust,i just got the dome done for him and it is stunning in every way and all hands on.

It is titled "Bob the alien" in the sculpting section...………...have no connection to it other than trying to help him finish it.:)

Back