1/6 Figures and the fear of breaking.......

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sojourn

Freakalicious
Reaction score
Hopefully I am not alone in this, and if I am then maybe I can start a support group with a solid 12-step program. I recently got back into collecting after a long, long break. Hot Toys and Medicom 1/6 scale figures finally broke down my resolve.

I recently purchased and received the Hot Toys Wolverine, HT Joker DX, Medicom's Son Gohan and Piccolo and I have a few other figures ordered as well. I love the figures, but here is my dilema.

#1 It took all my resolve just to remove them from their packaging for display. Before I could even go that far I contacted a local company and had them build some custom Acryllic display cases for me.

#2 I finally get them out of the box and shielded by a plastic vault, and now I'm freaked out about posing/switching hands/removing clothing etc. I can't even bring myself to consider swapping heads......

Maybe it's because they are so new to me and I have little experience in "handling" the figures, but does it get any easier down the road, or will I be forced to endure my phobia for a lifetime?

Have any of you had similar issues, or "horror" stories in regards to your first figures?

I only have a few figures ... but relax a bit. A breakage won't require replacement of the whole $200 figure, just of the underlying plastic body ($25 or so). Hand/Foot pegs and things are even less expensive.

A break isn't a complete tragedy.

SnakeDoc

And especially for newer figures, there's parts available on ebay. All that said, I don't think I've ever actually broken anything on a single figure...except the stand on one. It's ok :)...play!!!

Yup, they are just toys. Enjoy them.:joy
oiexc0.jpg

1/6 figures are about as friendly to end users as they come. Try switching out stuff on a PF or a statue, then you'll really have phobia.

1/6 plastic is quite hardy and it won't chip or break easily.

Relax a little and live a little :D

the normal true types you wont as much problem but the pvc or silicone stuff is the ones you have to worry about. most of them deteriorate after awhile and start cracking for some reason. case in point the medicom dragonball figures and most of the bendy silicone torsos from hot toys figures. like jospehcpr said nothing lasts forever. just enjoy it while it lasts. :D

No, you should box 'em up and send them to someone who is un-afraid and will give them a good home(like me)...PS

Yeah, I remember this feeling. My first 1/6 figures were HT Joker V1 and the BR. I wanted to do the head switch, which resulted in the small plastic ring at the bottom of the head breaking off and staying around the neck of the body.

Thankfully I was able to get it off and glue it back in place and all has been well since, but that first 15 minutes of 1/6 ownership was kind of unnerving thinking I'd break everything.

I have a bigger fear of a hot toys figure breaking than any statue because with statues you know the limitations whereas with figures I always see myself pushing the limits.:lol

Hopefully I am not alone in this, and if I am then maybe I can start a support group with a solid 12-step program. I recently got back into collecting after a long, long break. Hot Toys and Medicom 1/6 scale figures finally broke down my resolve.

I recently purchased and received the Hot Toys Wolverine, HT Joker DX, Medicom's Son Gohan and Piccolo and I have a few other figures ordered as well. I love the figures, but here is my dilema.

#1 It took all my resolve just to remove them from their packaging for display. Before I could even go that far I contacted a local company and had them build some custom Acryllic display cases for me.

#2 I finally get them out of the box and shielded by a plastic vault, and now I'm freaked out about posing/switching hands/removing clothing etc. I can't even bring myself to consider swapping heads......

Maybe it's because they are so new to me and I have little experience in "handling" the figures, but does it get any easier down the road, or will I be forced to endure my phobia for a lifetime?

Have any of you had similar issues, or "horror" stories in regards to your first figures?

maybe mentioned already, but a hair dryer is your friend. I bought one just for this purpose. When in doubt, hit it with a hair dryer for a minute to soften things up. Really helps.

I have a bigger fear of a hot toys figure breaking than any statue because with statues you know the limitations whereas with figures I always see myself pushing the limits.:lol

Well with statues u worry about paint flaking and chips. 1/6 is free from those worries. :)

Use common sense when dealing with them.. don't force anything and use a hair dryer when removing parts. just pay attention to how the parts move. :)

Back