Has a sequel ever really ruined the original for you??

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JAWS

Super Freak
CF Supporter
Reaction score
I usually never have the memory or enjoyment of a film get ruined by a sequel. For example JAWS is still my fav. film even though JAWS 3 and Revenge are some of the worst films out there. Die Hard Is AWSOME but 2 and 3 blow. I hate Some Friday the 13th films (part 5, 8, and 9) but enjoy the others. Same goes for the Nightmare films, Star Trek, Batman, etc... In other words a bad sequel can be ignored.

However there is one sequel that really effects my enjoyment of the original film and even it's original sequel. That film is Blade III.

Good God I hate that film. It ruins everything I love about the other two films. Great villians, great fights, good music, cool weapons, great characters, good story etc. all of that is is thrown out the door. Worst of all they make Blade's powers not all that special. In the other films he was this super bad ass who was our only hope against the Vampires but it turns out what he was doing was not all that special. You just need to take some kung fu lessons and you too can kill tons of vampires.

When I first saw this film in the theaters I hated it so much and it soured my memory of the first two films so bad that I could not sit and watch 1 and 2 for the longest time. I tried but I just could not. I mean these are two films that I love. They are in my top 100. But III tainted them.

Well this week I finally sat down and was able to watch 1 and 2 again and I LOVED them again. BUT I made a mistake and gave III another shot. GOOD GOD IT'S BAD!!!!!! After it was done I quickly put part 2 in again to watch some of the cool scenes. But it was too late. Tainted again by the dark force of part III. Guess I will have to wait a couple of more years. But I know this. I will NEVER watch Blade III again.

Hell even the Matrix sequels don't do this to me. And I find III pretty unwatchable.

So anyways. Does any sequel have this effect on any of you guys.

I've seen a lot of bad sequals but none that have ruined the original for me... at least not yet.

The only way I could see a sequel ruining an original for me is if the sequel presented new story arc and character traits to the original film elements and did so in a way that created a perception of them in the original film you couldn't look past. For example, the PT Star Wars trilogy redfined Darth Vader's underlying character, but to me, in a good way, but if it was done horribly and I couldn't ignore the new definition when looking at the old character, I may have lost love for that. In most cases, if a sequel sucks, it's often because it departs too much from the original, so there's no impact on my ability to enjoy the first.

Red Dragon ruined the original Silence of the Lambs and Hannibal for me. I read the book and was halfway through when I made the fatal error of seeing the movie. Ralph Fiennes' character in the book was a middle-aged man and not a foppish Englishman.

Nope. If a sequal blows I pretend it never happened, it's easy.Unless of course it's in the middle of a series and I like the sequals after the crap sequal (like the Aliens flicks.) T3, never happened, Texas Chainsaw sequals, never happened, Darkman sequals, nope never happened for me.

Hell even the Matrix sequels don't do this to me. And I find III pretty unwatchable.

That is about as close as its ever gotten for me... luckily the original Matrix is soooo kickass that it came away unscathed. However I did make me disavow knowledge of the 2nd movie.

And it that respect the sequel to Reloaded, made me not like it... so its close :lol

And on a funny note, if it wasn't for Wrath of Khan I think Star Trek the Motion Picture would have faded away into obscurity.

They never ruin the original film for me, but I sometimes have difficulty explaining that the first film is really good to others. When most of the people I try to convince have only seen one of the absolutely abysmal sequels. It's difficult to say the least. Take Godzilla, or Nightmare on Elm Street. Or Invasion of the Body Snatchers, etc. etc. etc.

It doesn't diminish the impact of the original to me. Others feel differently. Especially if they were not introduced to the original first.

Yeah. I don't know whatit is about Blade III the drives me so crazy. I mean The Matrix sequels I can ignore. Part of that is because the original can stand on it's own. It does not need a sequel. The Blade films are the same way. They stand just fine on their own. There is no story arc. so I can't understand what it is about Blade III that kills the others for me.

As I said This has never happened before.

Only thing I can think of is that part III tries to do all the cool things that part 1 and 2 have and then just fails. It tries soooooo hard to be cool and it just is not. Then when I think of the other films some of that uncoolness latches on to them.

Oh well. As I said I will never watch 3 again and in a year 1 and 2 will be great again:)

Blade III wasn't too bad (I mean Jessica Biel is in that movie...I own Summer Catch because she's in that movie--hate to say)...

There isn't any sequels that completely ruin the original where I can't go back and watch it. I'm the type of person that'll watch pretty much anything put in front of me. That includes craptacular sequels like the Matrix sequels, Jaws 3 & 4, Scary Movie 3 & 4, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 3, Halloween 3 & Halloween Resurrection, I Still Know What You Did Last Summer...hell my wife put me through Cruel Intentions 2 and The Skulls 2 & 3 (you could probably throw Wild Things 2 in that mix I forgot if I watched that one or not).

After seeing some of the worst sequels put to film, I've never really had that problem. The movies I can't stand are those artsie fartsie independant films that my wife sometimes pickups on DVD...I'll take a few hours and watch Titanic, The Bodyguard, or a Paulie Shore movie over some of the stuff she has...

A bad sequel wouldn't ruin the original for me, but it would make for an incomplete DVD collection. For instance, I have yet to add Rocky IV or Batman & Robin to my DVD collection. Hec, I don't think I'd take them if they were given to me for free! I'd never watch them! Speaking of Batman, I have to say that after Batman Begins, I don't even include it as part of the Batman films. It blows them all away. Yup, even the first one.

Eric

After seeing some of the worst sequels put to film, I've never really had that problem. The movies I can't stand are those artsie fartsie independant films that my wife sometimes pickups on DVD...I'll take a few hours and watch Titanic, The Bodyguard, or a Paulie Shore movie over some of the stuff she has...

What artsie fartsie indie films are we talkin' about here?

Eric

Bad sequels never really ruin the first movie for me. The only time it came even remotely close was with X3. Now that movie sucked @$$!!:monkey4 But that's about the only sequel I hated with a passion!

Bad sequels never really ruin the first movie for me. The only time it came even remotely close was with X3. Now that movie sucked @$$!!:monkey4 But that's about the only sequel I hated with a passion!

I LOVE YOU MAN!

X-MEN 3 WAS THE PITS! ERRR TITS!

Errrr, I wished I could type sh_ _ _!

'Ruined' is too strong of a word. 'Tainted' works better.

The original Star Wars trilogy has been tainted for me by the prequels. X-Men and X2 have been tainted by X3.

Red Dragon ruined the original Silence of the Lambs and Hannibal for me. I read the book and was halfway through when I made the fatal error of seeing the movie. Ralph Fiennes' character in the book was a middle-aged man and not a foppish Englishman.

Did you ever see Manhunter? I don't know if it parallels the book but it's very different from the Silence of the Lambs sequels and it's still good on it's own merits. Infinitely better then the Red Dragon remake. It's more of a murder mystery then the horror elements of the others. Just don't hope to see the same Hannibal Lecter.

If there's one film that tainted my love of the originals it's Terminator 3. I don't like how it completely took away the hope at the end of the second film, and it just wasn't as compelling as the other two. The humor in the third is just the worst, I like the humor in the extended cut of T2, but the stuff in T3 seems out of place.

Last edited:
alot of people have a tendancy to be too critical in the sequel department. you can't compare one to the other or else you're setting yourself up for disappointment. i will consider some sequels not as good as others, and some just shouldn't be made at all. but one doesn't effect my enjoyment of the others in the series. what they are is what they are.

except maybe godfather 3. andy garcia and sophia coppola??? my god, what were the studio heads that approved this one thinking? the casting director should have been ***** slapped! the only godfather movie where you needed subtitles because you couldn't understand spoken english. "dad?"..... BARF!!!!

hopefully your faith was restored with hannibal rising. an awesome prequel showing the origins of lecter. great story, great acting, great cinematogrophy. i was very apprehensive to see it but was pleasantly surprised afterward. sick, huh?

hopefully your faith was restored with hannibal rising. an awesome prequel showing the origins of lecter. great story, great acting, great cinematogrophy. i was very apprehensive to see it but was pleasantly surprised afterward. sick, huh?

EEK! I really hated that film. OK Hate is a strong word. But I thought it was pretty bad. However it DID NOT ruin my enjoyment of the others:)

The matrix films did this to me.
The Matrix was probably in my top 5 before I watched reloaded and revolutions.
Damn it, now as I type this I just dont want to think about it any more. Damn.

Back