Why Chewbacca SHOULD NOT have real fur

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Memnoch

Lt. Vulture
Reaction score
Ok now I may get stoned for this but I wanted to throw this out there. I believe that SS should stay as far away as possible from doing a real fur Chewbacca and the reasons are as follows.

First the production would be a nightmare. The main problem is that Chewbacca was tall and lanky, and so far SS does not have a known base body that is tall and lanky. Next is the application of the fur. Just how would it be done and kept uniform throughout the production process? How would they even apply it to the body, fur suit? What about articulation, would it be more limited? How would they assure us it would look exactly as it should? I see many people getting angry when they see pictures of a fluffy Chewie first appearing due to SS policy of taking pictures of the figures out of the box, as is, no futzing under heavy lighting. Then over time, what happens if Chewie starts to shed? Over time we may end up with what once looked like Chewbacca but with no hair.

Now don't get me wrong, a 1/6 Chewbacca would be the bomb and totally blow me away but it is the ensuing longevity issues that sincerely frighten me away from the prospect.

But again, how would they remedy the hair falling out over time? Would articulation be hindered by their solution to attatch the hair to a fully articulated body?

Memnoch21 said:
But again, how would they remedy the hair falling out over time? Would articulation be hindered by their solution to attatch the hair to a fully articulated body?

Don't know, aint my job to figure it out. I mean I'm sure there's a way. I'm figuring they'll use the old suit over body move. It might hinder articulation, but I tink we'd be able to get Chewies basic stances, that's all we need if it looks killer. Again, I'm not a toy maker, but I have it would be a quality item. But a non real fur, would just lack something more than fur.

I can see the reasoning behind a chewie without fur, but a complete plastic one doesn't seem like it would look all the good to me.

The trouble with this issue is, no one has succesffully produced a fully furred 1/6 figure that I've ever seen, and without seeing if anyone can pull it off, and seeing some of the horror of past attempts, it's hard to imagine that anyone, even Medi or HT could really do it well, and when you see what sculpted can look like done well as GG's bust and statue show, it makes me want to go the safe root and see Chewie done in a style I know already works.

I WILL produce a Chewie with fur...

It shall happen (my Kanamit figure is en route--- pics to come).

:chew :chew :chew

MaulFan said:
The trouble with this issue is, no one has succesffully produced a fully furred 1/6 figure that I've ever seen, and without seeing if anyone can pull it off, and seeing some of the horror of past attempts, it's hard to imagine that anyone, even Medi or HT could really do it well, and when you see what sculpted can look like done well as GG's bust and statue show, it makes me want to go the safe root and see Chewie done in a style I know already works.

MaulFan definatly hit on what I was getting at. Don't look at Hasbros plastic Chewies because those are just.. ew. They were done in hard plastic with not attempts to hide the joints. However, if it is done in a softer plastic with the fur hanging to hide the joints I think it could look very good. I still stand by my original point though that SS, nor HT or Medi to my knowlege have a tall, lanky body that would work for Chewbacca anyway and right now I see three, maybe 4 releases of Chewbacca really:

ANH slicked back
Empire/ROTJ Parted
ROTS younger
ESB snowswept

I don't believe that all the tree-hugging Wookiee rights activists would ever allow the kind of mass fur harvesting that would be required to produce this figure in large quantities.

:chew :emperor

Maybe it would be novel of Sideshow to do two Chewies, the regular without fur and the exclusive with.
People are going to complain, or should I say rather, have opposing views no matter what version comes out.

swgttpmfy.jpg

655093.png

DarthNeil said:
I WILL produce a Chewie with fur...

It shall happen (my Kanamit figure is en route--- pics to come).

:chew :chew :chew

Neil, I look forward to your effort, but I have a feeling he will end up looking kinda bulky. I'd be happy if I were wrong but the track record on Chewie is that he ends up looking a tad puffy no matter what.

Memnoch21 said:
Neil, I look forward to your effort, but I have a feeling he will end up looking kinda bulky. I'd be happy if I were wrong but the track record on Chewie is that he ends up looking a tad puffy no matter what.

I agree.... but I'm going to try one of SS' 14" bodies modeled for Kanamit (Richard Kiel's character in To Serve Man) and I've got some ideas to try and slim him down--- I'm just sick of Han being so lonely and when Boushh finally arrives I'd love to pose her with a chained Chewie.:chew

Now Im VERY curious. If this works, and over a few months theres no sheding or anything, then I'd be very sad that at the present moment there is no Chewbacca on the horizon.

Real fur or bust.

Even the sculpted plastic hair on the regular figures bugs me a little, though I'm more than aware that real punched-in hair on 1/6 figs has never been done with any great success.

However, Chewie DEMANDS fur.

Last edited:
And that's why it's taken so long for SS to try something... however, having said that this is the year of ANH and I KNOW that the focus of this year will be ANH and a certain Millenium Falcon environment (gut)--- chess table needs a wookie champion.:chew

Hopefully one will be announced soon---until then I'm moving ahead with operation Chew *mission impossible?*

I think producing a Chewie with real hair, would be too problematical, especially in such large quantities....To get it look right and all...just too damn hard, and expensive..

I think this thread is unfortunately a moot point. SS has stayed away from characters like Chewy, R2 and C3PO for reasons unknown. I would speculate that they don't possess the 12" licensing to reproduce certain characters. I mean, why on Earth would an Endor Rebel be made first over these three essential characters??? STOP THE INSANITY and give us Chewy, R2 and C3PO! Haven't we waited long enough?

kodiak8658 said:
I think this thread is unfortunately a moot point. SS has stayed away from characters like Chewy, R2 and C3PO for reasons unknown. I would speculate that they don't possess the 12" licensing to reproduce certain characters. I mean, why on Earth would an Endor Rebel be made first over these three essential characters??? STOP THE INSANITY and give us Chewy, R2 and C3PO! Haven't we waited long enough?

I would dare to say your speculation is absolutely 100% wrong. SS, as far as I've heard, has a license to produce any figure they want from the entire Saga and EU. The reason they haven't done Chewie or the droids yet is the simple engineering logistics. They don't want to just re-do what Hasbro has done, they want them to look as phenominal as possible for as reasonable a price as possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back