One:12 Collective Shazam review

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michael Crawford

Super Freak
Reaction score
review_one12shazam_13.jpg

Let's get back to the wonderful world of One:12 tonight, with a look at Mezco's latest release - Shazam! Or as you and I know him, Captain Marvel! You can find my review here:

https://www.mwctoys.com/REVIEW-050117a.htm

or with the rest of the reviews at the usual:

https://www.mwctoys.com

Thanks for reading!

Michael

Awesome review! I have been so looking forward to this figure!!!! Now he's sitting in my pile of loot waiting for more stuff to release....but I may just have him shipped cause I really can't wait much longer

Always one of my favorite heroes since I was a kid in the 70's. I remember having multiple Mego versions of him and watching his TV show! Also, had a sweet Shazam t-shirt my Mom bought me from Sears. Good times!

Another great review! Mine should be delivered today.

On a side note: Reading through your reviews, I have wondered if you understand the pricing structure. "The average price of the One:12 figures seems to have settled in around the $75 mark, unless they are super popular (allowing for a much bigger production run and thus lower unit costs) or exclusives with a much lower run that require higher costs. This guy is neither, and falls right in the middle at $75."

It's a lot easier than that.

$70 Smaller, possibly cheaper licenses (Monsters/Star Trek/Space Ghost)
$75 DC License
$80 Marvel License
$80 Regular PX Exclusives (all licenses)

$65 Initial TDKR and Dredd. (probably won't see this price point again)
$$$ Range of prices for Con exclusives/Mez exclusives/Deluxe packages

So the price structure is built around the License and not the individual character. There may be an occasional outlier, but so far everything has followed these price points.

I like the idea that they probably paid more for the Marvel license than the DC license, hence the $80 price point generally for them while the DC are generally $75. We'll see if that holds true over time. Every other price is clearly driven by unit costs - how many did they order, how much does the specifics of the character cost to make. I'd be careful assuming all PX exclusives will be $80, for example, since order quantity might vary over time, as will demand for particular characters. I'm sure Mezco is doing their best to keep it in the same range, however, as much as they are able.

I like the idea that they probably paid more for the Marvel license than the DC license, hence the $80 price point generally for them while the DC are generally $75. We'll see if that holds true over time. Every other price is clearly driven by unit costs - how many did they order, how much does the specifics of the character cost to make. I'd be careful assuming all PX exclusives will be $80, for example, since order quantity might vary over time, as will demand for particular characters. I'm sure Mezco is doing their best to keep it in the same range, however, as much as they are able.

Just so we're clear, I'm trying to provide some constructive criticism on your Price section of your reviews. I think anyone that reads it could possibly come away being confused (and maybe unhappy) on how these things are priced. What I had noticed is that in some of your reviews, when it comes to price, you talk about it as if they've been raising or lowering prices or that it is almost a crap shoot on what any given price will be.

An aside/backstory.
Other people in many forums have been upset about rising prices. But it has always been about different price points for different licenses. People got mad when instead of $65, they charged $75 for DC, then a Marvel was released for $80 and people were mad about the continued price increase. Then another DC was released at $75 and no one praised the price decrease. Then Frankenstein was released at $70 and nobody said, 'they finally listened to us and lowered the prices'. There has been a lot of confusion over pricing. I think it is because people see the One:12 line as a single line of figures that should all cost the same and not as an over arching brand. Yes they are all One:12, but Mezco has obviously categorized them by license, including their price points.

I have no proof if the different licenses cost more or less for Mezco, but that isn't the point. What is provable is that they are charging different amounts by license, not character. You say "generally" for the price points, but there is no generally. All regular DC are $75 and all regular Marvel are $80. There are no averages. The other smaller license prices are all $70 and can't be said that they are 'clearly' driven by unit cost. Did it cost the exact same to make/license B&W Frank and Space Ghost, maybe, but not 'clearly'. I did not assume all PX exclusives will be $80, but rather that all PX exclusives (not deluxe) have been $80. And nothing I'm talking about is about future prices. It's inconceivable that they would not raise prices in the future.

When you say "unless they are super popular (allowing for a much bigger production run and thus lower unit costs)" it seems to imply that a popular character is priced lower than a less popular character. That is just not true information. Regular Punisher is $80 the same as all other regular Marvel and Frankenstein is $70. I think anyone can say that clearly popularity is not a factor unless you know that B&W Frankenstein is way more popular than reg Punisher. That's all I'm trying to relay to you is that your pricing section of your review is a bit confusing and I think has some factual/illogical errors.

Love your reviews and have read everyone of them. Not trying to come off like a #$^%, just throwing some thoughts out there for you to consider.

great review as always!!

i keep going back and forth on whether to start all in on this line... your reviews don't make it any easier to walk away! :clap

They are even better in person and extremely fun and easy to pose. Buy just one to make sure they are right for you, that's what I did and I now have each Marvel and DC character that has been released so far. A lot easier on the wallet than a 1/6 figure as well

Would love somebody to do a flat-out Fred MacMurray likeness for Shazam some day!

Back