New York advice

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cap'n Cook

Vengeance 🐦‍⬛
CF Supporter
Reaction score
Hello fellow freaks

My girlfriend and I are heading to New York for the first time for a long weekend in March, for my birthday.

Just after any tips and recommendations. Thanks in advance.

I know she would love to get chinese takeout from those classic white boxes you see on the tellybox. Do those still get used?

Personally I've always wanted to see an ice hockey game however the Rangers/penguins game on 13 March is long sold out. :( Is it possible to buy on the day? I've also looked into ticket monster in case anyone here has used that too?

Cheers
:duff

Cap'n

Last edited:
Cool, what parts are you going to be visiting?

Not sure about the tickets, but...

-The MTA bus and train fares are $2.75 now.
-Don't go into an empty subway car, if the rest are filled (there's a reason for why it's empty, and a bum probably took a crap in one).
-Don't take out your wallet or your phone in the Subway.
-Don't give money to anyone period (they just need drug money for their next fix).
-The Macy's at 34th Street has a really nice eating area, and Korea town is nearby if you want to grab food at a Kisofresh restaurant. All of the food from the Chinese take-out places taste the same, I'd personally avoid them (although, it might be a nice experience for someone visiting the city for the first time).
-Midtown Comics is near Times Square and is worth a visit.
-The American Museum of Natural History is REALLY worth a visit.

Check stub hub for Ranger tickets or even Knicks tickets, seeing a game at MSG is an awesome experience.Go to the TICKETS booth in Times Square for deals on broadway shows. DON'T take pictures with the characters in Times square or anywhere else, they will ask you for money. Get to the Metropolitan museum, see central park while you are there.

In the meantime watch the video below for a good laugh.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LmPBPWHJu4

Thanks so much guys really appreciated.

We are going to be staying just a few blocks off of Times Square, round about where Book of Mormon is currently showing?

Thanks again. :duff

Hop Kee for Chinesse Food
For Collectibles:
Midtown Comics
Forbiden Planet
Image Anime
Toy Tokio

For Comic Books
Again Midtown Comics
Mysterious Time Machine (Great Selection, amazing stuff)
JHU Comics

Regading cellphone in the subway I think you will see si everybody uses it. Just pay attention to your surroundings. NYC is a really kind city.

Do a show on Broadway
Visit toys r us. It is awesome
Visit the museum
Eat pizza
Go to the statue of liberty
Go to virgin store.

Cool, what parts are you going to be visiting?

Not sure about the tickets, but...

-The MTA bus and train fares are $2.75 now.
-Don't go into an empty subway car, if the rest are filled (there's a reason for why it's empty, and a bum probably took a crap in ).
-Don't take out your wallet or your phone in the Subway.
-Don't give money to anyone period (they just need drug money for their next fix).
-The Macy's at 34th Street has a really nice eating area, and Korea town is nearby if you want to grab food at a Kisofresh restaurant. All of the food from the Chinese take-out places taste the same, I'd personally avoid them (although, it might be a nice experience for someone visiting the city for the first time).
-Midtown Comics is near Times Square and is worth a visit.
-The American Museum of Natural History is REALLY worth a visit.

This has happened to me.

Pearl Oyster Bar- have the fried oysters.

Gotham Pizza- love their margarita pizza.

if you're nor over 30, go spend a Friday night on bleeker street and if you like beer, go to Peculiar Pub.

This has happened to me.

Happens to me every week :lol. I'd like to say which lines to avoid, but nah, it's all of 'em.

Do a show on Broadway
Visit toys r us. It is awesome
Visit the museum
Eat pizza
Go to the statue of liberty
Go to virgin store.

Toys R Us closed back in December, and Virgin Megastore was closed since 2009 :lol.

Happens to me every week :lol. I'd like to say which lines to avoid, but nah, it's all of 'em.

Toys R Us closed back in December, and Virgin Megastore was closed since 2009 :lol.

shows how long ago i went :lol :ohbfrank::ohbfrank:
toys r us was my favorite

I was going to suggest hopping on the LIRR to go to Friendly's for a Wattamelon Roll, but they won't be out yet.

I grew up on Long Island, and went to high school in Queens. And really, I never fully got NYC's appeal. It was amazing for concerts (especially with my free train pass from my school), and to be able to say you did / went to certain things.

A couple of points:

It was already mentioned, but the Museum of Natural History is just amazing. Even if you're on a tight schedule, it's worth it. It's actually an almost overwhelming experience.

Check eBay if it's not too late, for Rags tickets, if not, overpay on Stub Hub, or take your chances on a scalper - if they walk around asking if anyone is selling tickets, it means they're selling tickets themselves. I grew up an Islander fan, and became primarily a Leafs fan in the mid-90's. So I A) root for usually horrible teams and B) hate the Rangers. But a game at The Garden is fun as hell. You will miss the fun of wearing the opposing jersey on the train and at the arena, but regardless - it's a great experience. You won't find many hockey games where you can buy a knish.

Buy a slice - don't pull a Michael Scott and go to S'Barro's.

Look for the grimiest, shadiest-looking Chinese food place and buy from there.

shows how long ago i went :lol :ohbfrank::ohbfrank:
toys r us was my favorite

Yeah, it really was. Did you see the animatronic T-Rex on the second floor?

The most memorable thing about the store, was when I got my copy of Batman Arkham City signed by Kevin Conroy in 2011. I also got my copy of MGS 4 signed by Hideo Kojima at Virgin Megastore years back. Sucks when the cool places close down.

Thanks to you all guys very much appreciated. :duff

No problem, hope you have fun when you arrive :duff. Dress warm too, it's still pretty cold in March.

I was going to suggest hopping on the LIRR to go to Friendly's for a Wattamelon Roll, but they won't be out yet.

I grew up on Long Island, and went to high school in Queens. And really, I never fully got NYC's appeal. It was amazing for concerts (especially with my free train pass from my school), and to be able to say you did / went to certain things.

A couple of points:

It was already mentioned, but the Museum of Natural History is just amazing. Even if you're on a tight schedule, it's worth it. It's actually an almost overwhelming experience.

Check eBay if it's not too late, for Rags tickets, if not, overpay on Stub Hub, or take your chances on a scalper - if they walk around asking if anyone is selling tickets, it means they're selling tickets themselves. I grew up an Islander fan, and became primarily a Leafs fan in the mid-90's. So I A) root for usually horrible teams and B) hate the Rangers. But a game at The Garden is fun as hell. You will miss the fun of wearing the opposing jersey on the train and at the arena, but regardless - it's a great experience. You won't find many hockey games where you can buy a knish.

Buy a slice - don't pull a Michael Scott and go to S'Barro's.

Look for the grimiest, shadiest-looking Chinese food place and buy from there.

Gonna have to disagree about the Chinese food places :lol. Most of them in Queens, especially, have been flagged by the health department for rat feces, etc.

But yeah, the Museum and especially the Rose Center is worth a visit :lecture.

John's Pizzeria near time square!!! Frozen hot chocolate Serendipitys's and your choice of sandwhich at Katz Deli. Central Park obviously.

Gonna have to disagree about the Chinese food places :lol. Most of them in Queens, especially, have been flagged by the health department for rat feces, etc.

But yeah, the Museum and especially the Rose Center is worth a visit :lecture.

rat feces!?
those cheapskates!! i expect rat meat.

When the board of health went with citations online, we all checked out favorite restaurant. There was an old Italian place by the seaport called Carmine's where we went to for lunch occasionally. It was the only place cited for both rat feces AND mice feces. All the other places just had one or the other.

I once saw a giant cockroach crawling up the wall as I ate.

107 yr old placed closed in 2010.

Back