1/6 Hot Toys Predators - Maintenance?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OM1D

Super Freak
Reaction score
If there already exists a thread for this, I apologize in advance, although search said no.

What I'm wondering is, given the rubber and soft plastic materials used in these bad boys, do you maintain them in any way? I'm worried about the dreadlocks especially, as I think years of displaying might dry/crack the rubber.

Is it a good idea to balm them, or use something like Gummi Pflege?

I don't think there is any history of the pred dreads cracking or deteriorating. I have 2 and I have done nothing but dust them from time to time.

Don't display him if you have roaches. Apparently it's the Predator's greatest enemy. My friend found this out the hard way. :lol

If there already exists a thread for this, I apologize in advance, although search said no.

What I'm wondering is, given the rubber and soft plastic materials used in these bad boys, do you maintain them in any way? I'm worried about the dreadlocks especially, as I think years of displaying might dry/crack the rubber.

Is it a good idea to ball them, or use something like GummI Pflege?

Unfortunately none of these types of things are made to last forever. Wheither it be cracking rubber, paint deteroriation etc the only thing you can hope for is to have them a few years and be happy with them. Ive had a few figures that lasted a few years but after that they all begin to show signs of deteroriation.

Unfortunately none of these types of things are made to last forever. Wheither it be cracking rubber, paint deteroriation etc the only thing you can hope for is to have them a few years and be happy with them. Ive had a few figures that lasted a few years but after that they all begin to show signs of deteroriation.

Are yours any of the predators made 2010 and later? What exactly deteriorates, and how? Dammit, that's why I feel maybe maintenance/balm should be considered...

DSCF9127-thumb.jpg

yah, maan.

My O.G. preds are all fine. I own all of the originals.
The weather here gets up to 109°F sometimes, but the I keep the A/C at 72.
Only thing that's gone is the "new toy smell".
Just keep them out of the sun (and apparently away from roaches) and you should be fine.

My biggest problem with the super preds are the fake leather straps/skirts. They peel off, only the underlying fabric remains.

Is it a good idea to ball them, or use something like GummI Pflege?

I have always loved how some people still have star wars toys from the 70s still in mint condition, not deteriorating or anything

but Hot Toys fgures wont even last a freaking decade before they start to break down

to answer OM1D, i sold all my predators because i did not want to deal with this rubber crap. rubber is NOT meant to last.

if anything when the dreads start to crack you might have to replace them

I have always loved how some people still have star wars toys from the 70s still in mint condition, not deteriorating or anything

but Hot Toys fgures wont even last a freaking decade before they start to break down

to answer OM1D, i sold all my predators because i did not want to deal with this rubber crap. rubber is NOT meant to last.

if anything when the dreads start to crack you might have to replace them

Hmm, that's exactly why I'm leaning ever so closely to getting something like this: Amazon.com: einszett 914806 'Gummi Pflege Stift' Rubber Care Stick - 3.4 fl. oz: Automotive

I have just started collecting, and only collect predators. Luckily, as of right now, all three of them are still in their sealed boxes. Might get the above for the unboxing.

Anyone tried it on anything Hot Toys-y?

i used gummi pfledge on my ed-209. its been 5weeks, but yeah, the rubber parts are holding. :]

someone in here actually did replace the dreads and they looked much better than the original ones, i think they used something else other than rubber.

i remember seeing the pics but cant remember who

I recently used 303 Aerospace Protectant on my Classic Pred's dreads, and it seems to work pretty well to seal the rubber and restore the luster. Just dunked the whole head in a small cup of it, shook it off, and air dried. You can find this stuff at select auto and marine supply stores. This stuff is water based and designed for rubber and vinyl, so fingers crossed nothing bad happens :lol

dipped_zps015zgkin.jpg

303_zpsuddaow7o.jpg

I recently used 303 Aerospace Protectant on my Classic Pred's dreads, and it seems to work pretty well to seal the rubber and restore the luster. Just dunked the whole head in a small cup of it, shook it off, and air dried. You can find this stuff at select auto and marine supply stores. This stuff is water based and designed for rubber and vinyl, so fingers crossed nothing bad happens :lol

dipped_zps015zgkin.jpg

303_zpsuddaow7o.jpg

Those dreads look way more "alive" than the stock/untreated ones, no? I'll be giving this 303 Aerospace Protectant a look. Thanks man.

Tracker and the original Wolf are the only Preds I have left. Visually they still look ok however it's been a long time since I re-posed them or moved them.

It is crazy given how much these figures are that maintenance is such a big issue. They really don't make things like they used to. And in many respects, no company can afford to any more. :( I've only got one Pred at the moment, but I'll have to look in to this Aerospace protectant. Thanks!

(It's funny that I can spend so much money on something that's supposed to make me happy and then spend way too much time worrying about it... Maybe I should collect stamps or coins instead. :lol )

I keep my Hot Toys and NECA City Hunters covered up with a clear plastic bag and stored away from direct sun light.

Those dreads look way more "alive" than the stock/untreated ones, no? I'll be giving this 303 Aerospace Protectant a look. Thanks man.

+1, sure does look more alive.

Back