Hot Toys Maintenance Advice Thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Hot Toys Maintenance Advice

Check out this guy's Nick Fury at minute 2:50...what the heck would cause this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jc3m5wh9lLU&t=27s

Poor materials is problem #1. Why it happens to some and not others may or may not come down to environmental issues it seems. In the example you posted i would ask if he uses florescent lighting. If the figures are exposed to any temperature changes. If so how mild/extreme.Sunlight? Dust? Quality of air itself, any factories around? Oceans? Poltergeists?

I'm mainly talking about the jackets here. The pink panties last i checked was a pretty widespread problem like leaking Batman and Comedian.

Last edited:

For toys in blister packaging, I get why people would keep that in a package. Boxed figures though, take them out and enjoy them. Why own the hope diamond if it's just going in a safe? :) it's like people who collect guitars and put them in glass cases, are they crazy? Play that thing! It doesn't look right to see a 60s fender or Gibson w/o grime and a little battle damage. However I'm not spending 35k for those to begin with so easy for me to say.

For toys in blister packaging, I get why people would keep that in a package. Boxed figures though, take them out and enjoy them. Why own the hope diamond if it's just going in a safe? :) it's like people who collect guitars and put them in glass cases, are they crazy? Play that thing! It doesn't look right to see a 60s fender or Gibson w/o grime and a little battle damage. However I'm not spending 35k for those to begin with so easy for me to say.

I get where you’re coming from and while I agree, it’s like I said before. As collectors we’re not always going to have the space. And the same analogy can be used for instruments like you mentioned. I had a buddy who just hoarded them. And some are in storage because...space. :)

For me it’s a matter of how you care for your figures if you have to keep them in storage. Obviously don’t forget about em. And no sunlight, no dust, moderate temps and not keeping them sealed airtight like I also mentioned before. I know there are more factors, but for me having moved quite a bit around the US, I’ve never really had any problems while maintaining that.

I agree tho everyone collects differently. The guy in the vid says flat out he is collecting for the long term. I don't overturn my figures like some but also it wouldn't surprise me if one day there's degrading plastic/pleather:horror. I'm gonna put my figs out and enjoy them anyway.

Because I don't think HT produces for the long-term collector. I think they try to keep the price within reach (LOL) but keep the profit as high as possible - e.g. cheap materials.

Fury's coat is peeling because it's pleather - THIN pleather yet, drying up and the pleather binder breaking down. I don't even know how you fix or even stop that.
It's a shame because of the amount of work in making one of these re the costumes is just as much work for cheap pleather as it would be for better materials e.g. good zippers, metal joints, etc.

My Civil War IM feels solid but there's those plastic parts to worry about like at the ankles...if I have to one day I'll reconstruct my WS vest w. real leather if the worst happens ): And yeah, WS bodies are stained black right out of the box thanks to the cheap dyes. And I'll be lined up to buy when the IW figs come out.:lol

I haven't even opened my ws Nick fury. Its on my list in 2 weeks. I'm also going to rebuild some lego star wars sets finally. Years overdue. I'm pretty excited. I came to the realization tonight that i need more detolfs and shelves.

I haven't even opened my ws Nick fury. Its on my list in 2 weeks. I'm also going to rebuild some lego star wars sets finally. Years overdue. I'm pretty excited. I came to the realization tonight that i need more detolfs and shelves.

LOL I was looking at shelving today too. Maybe I'll just hack Ikea's Ivar cabinets.

Not rubber or pleather? Fine. Apart from various and well documented issues such as pink panties and rubber rot, painted plastic and metal will likely outlast you, your children and your grandchildren. And your children's grandchildren.

Just enjoy the damn things.

The only figure I have that has notably deteriorated is Aldo Raine and that's only his satchel which gets closer to resembling dust every day. I keep the figs behind glass or in acrylic display's, in a darkened room. Ideally you would probably want to keep them in a vacuum, as even the air over a very long time wold start to break down the molecular structures in the materials used.

Back