Media Elite: Dangerous

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DarthChrisDK

The Blueberry Freak
CF Supporter
Reaction score
I just "picked this up". Always had a thing for space and sci-fi games. So this is definitely something that piques my interest.

Has anyone else delved into this world? I'll leave some information about the game for the curious lot of you.

If anyone has started on this game and have any tips, I would welcome them.

Launch trailer:

Gameplayer:

Various images:

elite dangerous - Google-s

Is this the only thread for ED? I'm shocked at the lack of interest if so, it's awesome!

I had a thread that went right back to the initial Kickstarter but I was the only one posting in it and no one else seemed to care so I gave up :D :D
https://www.sideshowcollectors.com/...elite-dangerous-kickstarter-goal-reached.html

I'm a Founder level backer from Kickstarter and have been playing since Alpha 1.0
The original Elite in 1984 was the first game I ever played.
Elite 2: Frontier in the late 80s (with its ability to land on every single planet in the galaxy!) is still my all time favorite game.

I'm currently out way past the core systems in deep space, doing my own thing with some exploring scanning, mining and some trading at tiny outposts, way way out past where other human players are.

In terms of tips .....not even sure where to start ..... :D

Tip 1
If you're interested in space sims then its a MUST to buy a joystick/thruster combo. The Saitek x52 is the easiest and probably best option (the real super advanced combos are overkill since its not a hardcore military flight sim)
Elite is designed specifically with this in mind and while you can play without, the investment is so worth it and fun factor goes up by 10 once you have it.
....this comes from someone who is not into normal flight sims and bought the set specifically for Elite....
(It'll also be fully useable and ready to go for Star Citizen when that launches so you're not just buying for one game)

Tip 2:
Its worth watching all the tutorial videos online you can and playing all the intro tutorial missions and content you can.
The game has no slow start or intro to get you into things ...its literally press start and then you're in a space ship, expected to know how everything works.

Tip 3:
Death can be brutal .... probably too much so and I hope they tone it down a little.
Always always always :) have enough money to cover the insurance excess on your ship.

No matter how much people know that, people assume they will be fine because they've been fine for months of game time ....and then something goes wrong (crash or attacked) and they don't have enough left in their account to cover the loss and get knocked back to zero, losing 100% of their financial progress.
The rage threads on the official forums for that are .....interesting :)

Tip 4:
Its worth keeping in mind that this is essentially 1/3 of what will be the final product.
Stage 1 - Space (just launched!)
Stage 2 - Planetary content (probably mid 2016)
Stage 3 - 1st/3rd person content (probably mid 2017)

But the game is designed from the ground up with the basis for these mechanics and gameplay already in there. It won't be bolt on DLC later.
What that kind of does is make it seem quite large but a little empty at the moment.
An example is the ship interiors are already in there ...but it'll be a few years before they get around to 1st/3rd person mechanics and let you walk around in there (this has been confirmed in some of the betas where due to clipping, people got footage inside some of the large ships!)

You really want to go down and visit some planets and walk around space stations ...but you can't .....yet.....

They are still rolling out content regarding the 'space portion' right now. 1.1 update due this week and 1.2 next month.
You've really got to view it as a never ending game release.

Happy to try and help fumble through any specific questions .....

See you out in the verse !

Thanks for the tips, I'm pretty set up already as I play DCS: World a lot.. I'm using a thrustmaster Warthog, Saitek combat pedals and TrackIR5 which changes the way you play entirely. I've only just started playing properly, I bought an Eagle today and it's a nice little ship. One thing I'm bored of already is the unidentified signal sources. They are often too far and few between when you really need them, especially in the sparse systems and then when you do find one... two or three pop up at the same time. That needs balancing a bit. I'm going to buy a Wake shift Interdictor though to help out a bit in that regard. Great game over all though, when some of the other features work their way it will no doubt be pretty awesome.

This game is insanely huge and impressive. I've got a sweet set up involving a rift, hotas and a buttkicker. It's the coolest thing I can play these days. Dog fights are insanely intense. I'm still learning the ropes and its not a game that will hold your hand at all, but when you fly into a planets ring and realize that it's an actual rock field and it's 1:1 scale it's pretty incredible. I havent played anything quite like it and vr takes it to another level.

Thanks for the tips, I'm pretty set up already as I play DCS: World a lot.. I'm using a thrustmaster Warthog, Saitek combat pedals and TrackIR5 which changes the way you play entirely. I've only just started playing properly, I bought an Eagle today and it's a nice little ship. One thing I'm bored of already is the unidentified signal sources. They are often too far and few between when you really need them, especially in the sparse systems and then when you do find one... two or three pop up at the same time. That needs balancing a bit. I'm going to buy a Wake shift Interdictor though to help out a bit in that regard. Great game over all though, when some of the other features work their way it will no doubt be pretty awesome.

Well your controller setup puts me to shame then! ....probably your flying skill too if you play other flights sims :)

This game is insanely huge and impressive. I've got a sweet set up involving a rift, hotas and a buttkicker. It's the coolest thing I can play these days. Dog fights are insanely intense. I'm still learning the ropes and its not a game that will hold your hand at all, but when you fly into a planets ring and realize that it's an actual rock field and it's 1:1 scale it's pretty incredible. I havent played anything quite like it and vr takes it to another level.

Oh yeah, the Rift DK2 changes things from playing a game to actually feeling like you're in a space ship!
Love mine, although I've found that the current dev kit just isn't good enough with text considering that everything is text heavy in the stations.

I'll definitely buy the CV1 when its ready which should have over double the resolution.

Not really lol, If you played DCS: World like you play this, you'd be dead real quick :lol I do like a good space sim though so I'm good with the basics but there's a sharp learning curve in Elite so I'm still at the bottom with all the new guys. I took on a pirate the other day, I thought I was winning and then a I simply blew up lol. I think he dropped a mine or something. I'm sticking with solo play for now also, am missing out on anything?

I can't wait for the production rift!! That really will be a game changer I'm sure. I tried the DK1 a while back but that clearly needed a lot of work. I can't even imagine what it will be like to fly around with a full HD rift in something like this....

(DCS: World new engine, pre alpha)

Thanks for the tips guys. Yea, I've been considering a HOTAS setup. If I go with X52, do I need the Pro version?

I am not playing it as regularly as I would with my raiding in WoW and Dragon Age also needing attention. But I really enjoy it when I am in. Time flies.

I had the x52 pro and just couldn't get on with it, but then I was playing DCS mostly. I 'm sure most people will love it. Get the pro for sure as it is built with better materials.

Should work just fine once you have installed the latest drivers from Saiteks website. It is always a good ide to set up the controls as you see fit however. I found Elites pre programmed controls to be a little weird. But then I'm using a Thrustmaster Warthog and they probably didn't have those in mind.

Yeah, you'll likely need to go into the controls and set it up. Some hotas have presets I think, but they still usually require some changes. I have an x-55. I'd love to use the Warthog, but I've gotten use to yaw on the stick and didnt want to deal with foot pedals. Thats a sick hotas though.

Will it work off the bat or does one need to program everything?

I'm someone who has never used a thruster/joystick combo before and don't play flight sims.
I bought the x52 Pro and because Elite is specifically configured with pre-sets for the x52 series, I didn't change a thing and love it.

(And all the in game options you need can be changed from within Elite itself just in the config menu should you not like something)

Finally sold off my Cobra and Lakon6 and upgraded to an Asp with C and D level parts.
Loving it, a whole new feel !

And its cockpit is like a big glass bubble so it feels amazing in the DK2 !

Finally sold off my Cobra and Lakon6 and upgraded to an Asp with C and D level parts.
Loving it, a whole new feel !

And its cockpit is like a big glass bubble so it feels amazing in the DK2 !

Sounds sweet. I havent played enough to make any real money, but I'd love to try new ships and see how the cockpits look in vr.

Sounds sweet. I havent played enough to make any real money, but I'd love to try new ships and see how the cockpits look in vr.

Got myself a $91K repair bill trying to land on an outside platform in the middle of nowhere with flight assist off :D :D

Got myself a $91K repair bill trying to land on an outside platform in the middle of nowhere with flight assist off :D :D

wtf....yeah, I think I'll leave assist on heh. I've blown my ship up just to trying take off before. I accidentally hit my boost and smashed into the wall in front of me. Thankfully, it was just a pos Sidewinder.

So I flew into a Strong Signal Source, and I got vaporized... :)

I was a short break from it, but I find myself flying around from time to time still. I have yet not purchased a HOTAS (Saitek X52 Pro) but I am still considering it. I'm just afraid that I will lose interest in the game, and I'll be left with an expensive dust gatherer on my table.

On the other hand... I feel I'm missing out on something awesome now when I am playing the game.

Dilemma! :(

So I flew into a Strong Signal Source, and I got vaporized... :)

I was a short break from it, but I find myself flying around from time to time still. I have yet not purchased a HOTAS (Saitek X52 Pro) but I am still considering it. I'm just afraid that I will lose interest in the game, and I'll be left with an expensive dust gatherer on my table.

On the other hand... I feel I'm missing out on something awesome now when I am playing the game.

Dilemma! :(

If expense is an issue, you could buy a T-Flight. It's pretty cheap and a very decent hotas for the price. I can't express how much better this game is with a hotas. Plus...Elite might not be the last flight game you play so if you do stop playing it, there's Star Citizen coming as well.

Back