Possible issue with a purchase. (hot toys)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Erosi

Freaked Out
Reaction score
Hello. I recently received a hot toy from a fellow board member. The hot toy in question stinks like an ash tray. I am reluctant to display it in my detolf. The figure was described as being in a temperature controlled room and in phenomenal shape. Am i being picky or is this a legitimate issue. I hope and thank you for your advice. :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Possible issue with a purchase (hot toys)

Hello. I recently received a hot toy from a fellow board member. The hot toy in question stinks like an ash tray. I am reluctant to display it in my detolf. The figure was described as being in a temperature controlled room and in phenomenal shape. Am i being picky or is this a legitimate issue. I hope and thank you for your advice. :)

Have you contacted the seller about this? If not I encourage you to do so.

I've bought custom figures from a member here before and they had the same issue but the odor dissipated over time. Regardless, if someone is a smoker and doesn't disclose that info and you're unhappy with the smell then I don't think it's being too picky.

Thank you for the reply. Ive never had an issue with smoke/smoking smell on a figure before, thats why i was a little hesitant to bring it up. The smell is harsh. I honestly thought id find an old cigarette in the box as the smell is strong. I was trying to contact the fellow member but his inbox is full. I personally think that a strong cigarette smell should be something to disclose, but wanted to get a feel for what our community thinks.

Re: Possible issue with a purchase (hot toys)

It's a legitimate issue. A stinky figure could seriously hurt your ability to sell it at a later date and I wouldn't want to risk putting it with other figures, as you say. With vintage items you have to be a bit more forgiving but with newer stuff like this you shouldn't expect it to stink.

That being said while the seller should have said he or she smoked around the figure you should have asked if it came from a smoke free home. Smoke free isn't the same as temperature controlled, after all. If the seller didn't claim it was then I would place the onus on you the buyer and its really up to the seller to decide whether or not to refund you or do something to please you. Best advice I can give you is know what you're buying before you buy it, especially for the prices these figures go for.

I thought I was gonna find a coal in the box with my custom figures too. :lol It was years ago and I just lived with it since it was a hand built. I recently bought a figure on eBay though and it smelled like an ash tray. Very annoying.

I've had this happen to me twice, both times from eBay sellers. Can't believe that it didn't occur to me to ask once, let alone twice.

At any rate, my attitude was that, yeah, sure, it was pretty shady of them not to volunteer the information ... but ultimately, I should have asked.

Sadly, I think smokers just don't realize how much they and their possessions reek of cigarette smoke. Part of that is probably their sense of smell being damaged because of smoking. As non-smoker, I think this is something that is very important to disclose to a buyer. I mean hotels and restaurants offer smoking and non-smoking options for a reason. And frankly, a figure should be considered damaged if kept in a smoking environment. Its certainly not 'like new' anymore. Smoke not only has un unpleasant smell, but it can also damage and fade the clothing at the very least. Its a far more important issue that an item's box condition IMO. Boxes get dinged, they're designed to handle that. Figures weren't designed to survive in toxic environments. :dunno

Having bought a figure from a smoker before, I can assure you the smell doesn't ever truly go away. I looked up methods to remove the smell and keeping the item in baking soda was the least destructive method to the figure and even after months of being in baking soda, the smell was still there. Eventually had to sell the figure (with mention of the odor) because I just couldn't appreciate it in its current condition.

If you won't stop smoking for your health, please, at least stop to safe your toys! :lol

You are have right to complaint, the figures are damaged especially if its clotching figures. You simply cant washed away a strong cigarettes odor from clotch

I'd be raged if my figure has the smell of smoke and it was marketed "like new" or "great condition". Uh **** you, no it isn't. Would leave negative feedback easy and demand a refund if this is ebay.

I am 100% accurate with my listings. These are $200+ collectibles, I don't know how some sellers can be so negligent in describing their sales.

Thank you all for your input. I have read through and appreciate your feedback. In opening this thread i also came across two fellow members who have in this week had this same issue with the same member on this board. Im going to contact the seller. As of now, i do ask the members who have pm'd me to keep the sellers name private until we give him a chance to respond. I tried to send a message out but his inbox is too full. Thank you all once again. This being my first figure from a smoking home.......im not liking it, and it is not going to be displayed next to my other figures and statues that i take great pains to dust and maintain due to their cost.

Yeah if your in this hobby then smoking is a big no no. If ever I am buying a fig second hand, I always ask if the figure has been in a smoke free environment.

Well, it's possible the seller doesn't notice the smell, since he's so used to it, i have 2 items had this smell all the way from Japan, they smell like ashtrays too, but i guess the scent will go away when you take it out.

I don't smoke, but I think you guys are making a big deal over nothing.

Most of the time, if you leave it a few days with fresh air, the smell will almost disappear, or at least reduce a lot. And of course, if you're still unhappy, you have the option of hand washing the clothes. I've done it several times! No big deal!:dunno

But smoke is bad for things, trust me I grew up around smokers. It's not just smoke in the air, it's contaminates as well.

I don't smoke, but I think you guys are making a big deal over nothing.

Most of the time, if you leave it a few days with fresh air, the smell will almost disappear, or at least reduce a lot. And of course, if you're still unhappy, you have the option of hand washing the clothes. I've done it several times! No big deal!:dunno

The nicotine stains will stay there for many years. I read in some health magazine, it stains the whole house not just the air and is bad for small kids.

Back