Prequel Trilogy fan over 12

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pickard

Super Freak
Reaction score
I find it annoying that everyone assumes fans of the prequel trilogy must have been too young for the originals.

This comes up frequently when OT fans are responding to PT fans. The most recent was when one poster here said that he preferred Clone Troopers to OT Stormtroopers. (So do I.) Someone immediately replied that the poster must not have grown up in the 80s.

For the record, I'm a Star Wars fan. I love them both. The OT has so much going for it, but there are things in the PT which I think are superior.

That doesn't mean I'm 12-years-old.
  • I saw A New Hope on first-run, before it was A New Hope, in the theater (actually, AT the theater, since it was a drive-in).
  • I read the Marvel comics when they came out each month.
  • I listened to the original NPR radio dramas each week.
  • I had a Star Wars lunch box.
  • I bought Topps Star Wars trading cards at my local convenience store.
  • I clipped the Star Wars comic strips out of my local newspaper.
  • I watched the (shudder) Holiday Special on broadcast TV.
  • And, of course, I collected the Kenner figures.

For nearly 3 decades I've loved Star Wars. I've been a Star Wars fan as long as anyone.

Still, I greatly enjoy the PT.

It's possible, people. Please stop assuming PT fans are in junior high.

That's all. Rant over. :)

Ditto to all of that! Except I think probably caught ANH during a 1978 re-release.

I love it all and am very pleased with the mix from the two trilogies sideshow has come up with so far. I'll take Clonetroopers AND Stormtroopers!

I was only 3 months old when Empire came out. My Mom took me to see Jedi when I was 3 years old. She cried when Vader saved Luke :monkey2 . It's the first movie experience I can remember and that's what I remember most.

Me and my Dad would watch the OT every Thanksgiving and whenever any of the movies were on TV. He was a big fan and had some various SW stuff and I had a bunch of toys. But it wasn't until the PT was announced did I become a huge SW dork.

I really enjoy the PT though there are things about it that are like nails on a chalkboard (Jar-Jar). I'd be lying if I said I liked it as much as the OT, but that's only because the OT will always be special to me for many various reasons. I'm sure this holds true for many of us.

Star Wars fans have such animosity towards one another. I have never seen anything like it. Its unbelievable sometimes.The elitism is staggering.

I was only 2 when ROTJ came out but I did see them growing up in 80's. The PT came out when I was in High School so they are a bit closer to me as far as age goes. I love both though and find it odd as a SW fan to not like both. Neither is anyplace near perfect but that's fine with me.

I came along right between A New Hope and Empire Strikes Back, I was born in 1979. So I did grow up in the eighties, but that didn't stop me from loving all things Star Wars. I've been a huge fan for as long as I can remember. Despite not being born when the first was released and still poopin' my pants when Empire came along I still fell head over heals for it as soon as I saw it. I don't know exactly how old I was, but I know there are pictures of me with Star Wars stuff runnin' around in my whitie tities and I couldn't have been more than 4 or 5.

All that being said, I do still like the original trilogy more, however there's a ton of things I like about the prequels as well. Just because someone else finds joy in something you dislike doesn't at all give you the right to try and beat them down. I for one can't stand Steven Segal movies, but I'm not going berate someone who does, that's there choice...albeit a very very bad one. :monkey5

darthviper107 said:
I don't have a preference-----I like Star Wars.

Sure. It's all the adventures of Obi-Wan Kenobi. You can't just like the beginning or the end of his story.:chew

Seriously, my favorite character was always Obi-Wan. For George to then produce, for me, an entire trilogy of movies where he kicks butt and takes names, that was the greatest gift an old-school fan could have received.

I was too young for the originals (born several months after Return of the Jedi was released in theaters) and I dislike the PT and love the OT. I think Lucas dropped the ball on the prequels completely, but I can still watch and enjoy the OT.

I'm a 'younger' fan that doesn't like the PT.

You SW fans have nothing to gripe about. Try 5 tv series 10 movies an animated series and then you can get back to me about griping, back biting, flaming and the lot. We Star Trek fans have it much worse than any Star Wars fans do.

Oh and Storm Troopers rule over the Clone Troopers.

Icemizer said:
You SW fans have nothing to gripe about. Try 5 tv series 10 movies an animated series and then you can get back to me about griping, back biting, flaming and the lot. We Star Trek fans have it much worse than any Star Wars fans do.

Yeah, that's true. Trek fans are more splintered. However, I don't know that the flaming is worse; it's just more varied because there are more groups.

Again, I'm a fan of all Star Treks. Some are better than others, but I don't hate any of them.

The only difference I see on this issue between the two fandoms, is that SW seems to be divided along an imaginary (and inaccurate) age divide. There's no clear point of division with Trek.

I saw each of the originals during their first theatrical runs (I was 3, 6, and 9 in '77, '80, and '83). The OT virtually defined my childhood.

I also love the PT. None of its perfect but its all magic. :D Before the SE's people used to rip on ROTJ for the same reasons they now rip on the PT (except replace the claim that the PT "overuses CGI" with "overuse of muppets" in ROTJ's case.)

Part of my joy in watching the OT as a kid was imagining the possibility of actually watching Anakin's fall and his battle with Kenobi over lava. To have see it so spendidly realized in ROTS was surreal.

I was born in 1972 and was 5 1/2 years old when the original film was released... the perfect age. I of course saw all 3 movies theatrically, so I literally "grew up" with the OT.

I will always prefer the OT but I do not have the cynical animosity toward the prequels that other fans my age do.

At the end of the day, OT+PT=SW to me.

:chew

IrishJedi said:
At the end of the day, OT+PT=SW to me.

:chew

WORD!

Conversely, I have had the pleasure over the past couple of weeks of brainwashi...I mean, introducing my 5 year old daughter properly to the SW films. (She has always known who the characters are is but I wanted her to be old enough to fully understand them before she watched them all the way through)

In order for the maximum story impact I started with ANH and she sat enraptured during the entire trilogy, never taking her eyes off the screen. PT different story, wriggling, messing about and generally not as much attention paid to the films (especially AOTC).

She does however like Jar-Jar!

Now, I was thinking...Oh maybe it's too much, information overload you know? But then she asked to watch ESB again sat again enraptrured.

So the point that the PT is for kids doesn't really hold up to the 5 year old mancunian test!

(this is the same 5 year old who has bought herself a Yoda 1:1 scale Bust for her room!!!!)

I'm sorry, you are wrong. OT is superior, you must hate jar jar, hate hayden as anakin, hate lucas, hate cgi, hate kids that say yippie, hate noooooooooooooo, hate yoda fighting, hate mace.

If you don't you are not a true fan.

IrishJedi said:
I am still going to make those OT+PT=SW shirts for Celebration 4.

Who's down for one?

:emperor

I'd take one but I might not be at C4 but I'd wear it to SDCC.

Back