Star Wars Celebration 4 or SDCC or both?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gran3131

Super Freak
Reaction score
Alright, who plans on attending C4. If you do will you be making it to SDCC also? This year was my first trip to SDCC and it is something that I will be trying to make every year from now on. Even if I would only be able to go for one day it would be worth the trip. However, next year we have C4 in May and I have not decided which Con to go to. What are your plans for next years summer Conventions?

Being an East Coaster, no way to afford both. If I had to choose one, it'll be SDCC. Better exclusives and a lot more fellow FREAKS.

Likely both for me, C4 is even closer to me than SDCC. :chew

Swing both if you can. But that's hard to do.

If you can only choose one, it really just comes down to how big a STAR WARS fan you are. If you are a diehard SW freak and live and breathe the galaxy and its characters then it's a no-brainer: you should not miss out on CELEBRATION.

However, if you're more of a casual SW fan and are into lots of other properties as well SDCC is probably the better option, because it is massive and has much more to it than just SW.

For me most likely it will be C4. Although like Loki said SDCC is bound to have some great exclusives. To be honest the exclusives could pull me either way depending on what is made for which Convention.

I'm part of category #1.
I'll be at C4. It's guaranteed to be explosive! :lol

I've thoroughly enjoyed C1, 2 and 3; even with the gross mismanagement of each event. C4 looks to be even bigger due to the location. This time will be my first in costume.

Want to go to SDCC again soon, but not this year.
-theropod

I went to C3 and had a blast. Either convention would be awesome. It is to bad they are so close together.

I live in L.A. and I am considering going to C4 but I'm not sure yet. To be honest I am not sure that I can deal with the people. I mean I was ready to kill people on Sat at SDCC and I have to figure that C4 will be worse. I think the only reason I will go is if there are some exculsive items I want. Has anyone been to both? If so how corwded is C4 compared to SDCC and how bad is the nerd factor? Don't get upset I love Star Wars but some of these people are way to over the top for me.

Well no one knows how big C4 will be yet. C3 brought in about 35,000. I would assume there will be more at C4. As far as the nerd factor well that is kinda to be expected at any of these conventions. If that type of thing is going to effect whether or not you are going to have a good time then you probally will get annoyed at C4. Conventions, lines, crazy fans all go hand to hand.

I want to do both but probably won't be able to afford both. I will be going to SDCC for sure.

I'll be going to SDCC probably next year. But not C4. My dad has contacts in San Diego so I can probably find somewhere to stay, and I should have enough money this time. But I won't have enough money for C4 because it's too close to the end of the semester---and it'd cost more.

I'm still on the fence..... I went to C3 but was very miffed about the management of the lines and such (freakin' GenCon....the bastards!!!:monkey4 )

To top it all off.... this year is my wedding...(april) my move (May) and the beginning of my school (July-August).... So needless to say... I'm pretty strapped at the moment.

I might be able to swing it, but that's only if I am lucky. And it matters on which one my friends will go to.... :D

I cant go to either but do you really think Sideshow will have a C4 exclusive. I really hope not because Im not sure I can take two show exclusive preorders in one year.

jason2885 said:
I cant go to either but do you really think Sideshow will have a C4 exclusive. I really hope not because Im not sure I can take two show exclusive preorders in one year.

I am absolutely certain that Sideshow will have an exclusive item of some kind at CELEBRATION IV. Whether it's a 1/6 figure, I don't know. But I would be shocked if they didn't have an exclusive there. They didn't have one for C3, but that could be because they were very early into the PF license (and hadn't even announced the 1/6 line yet). But just about every other licensee had a Celebration exclusive, from Hasbro to Gentle Giant to even the company that produces SW checks. So you can bet the mortgage that SSC will be in on that action this time.

I've been going to SDCC since around 1991 when I went to school in SD. But took 4 years off inbetween because of grad school on the east coast. I don't want to lose my "streak." But...C4 sounds tempting and I can't do both, even though I have family in LA and SD.

So my question is...all I want out of C4 is to find SS and Attakus statues. I'm not into the chats, cast members, autographs, etc. Just for statues then...is it worth it to go, and skip SDCC? What else is there that makes it special? How big is the dealer/vendor/retailer room?

BigLeagueChu said:
I've been going to SDCC since around 1991 when I went to school in SD. But took 4 years off inbetween because of grad school on the east coast. I don't want to lose my "streak." But...C4 sounds tempting and I can't do both, even though I have family in LA and SD.

So my question is...all I want out of C4 is to find SS and Attakus statues. I'm not into the chats, cast members, autographs, etc. Just for statues then...is it worth it to go, and skip SDCC? What else is there that makes it special? How big is the dealer/vendor/retailer room?

I would say that you would be able to find a few statues that you need. However, if the only reason you would go is for the statues it is hard to say whether it is worth it or not. If you like to stay away from ebay and feel better knowing that you can take a look a what you are going to but it is worth it. If you trust ebay enough and are not worried about buying the high end stuff online or can find them from trust worthy board members then it may not be worth it to go.

BigLeagueChu said:
So my question is...all I want out of C4 is to find SS and Attakus statues.
I'm not sure whether or not Attakus will have a big presence at C4 (they didn't at C3). I'm guessing they'll make their big splash at Celebration Europe instead.

BigLeagueChu said:
I'm not into the chats, cast members, autographs, etc. Just for statues then...is it worth it to go, and skip SDCC?
If you would just be going for a couple of particular items, then I'd say no. You could very likely find someone else you know who's going who can try and pick the items up for you (or other collectors)... and there is always eBay and dealers. You would be paying premium for the latter, of course, but it might ultimately be worth it if attending SDCC is more your bag.

BigLeagueChu said:
What else is there that makes it special? How big is the dealer/vendor/retailer room?
Well, since C4 is being moved to the LA Convention Center I would have to think that the Dealers Room/Exhibit Hall will be absolutely massive. As in the same size as the one at SDCC, only this one will be entirely Star Wars focused.

As for other stuff... If you're a SW fan or collector, there is a lot to see and do. In fact, that's why they expanded it from 3 days to 4 days with C3 and now FIVE full days for C4. It's almost impossible to see and do everything (of course, the long lines don't help). Special programming and autographs are a big part of it, yes, but there are also things like displays of props and costumes from the Lucasfilm Archives, a special Celebration Store with tons of exclusive products (which this time will be open 24 hours a day during the con), countless photo opportunies, and more.

Like I said earlier, though, the deciding factor should be how much of a diehard SW fan you are (or aren't). Because as we all know SDCC has a lot more going for it than just SW.

My 2 cents. Hope it helps.

Gran3131 said:
I would say that you would be able to find a few statues that you need. However, if the only reason you would go is for the statues it is hard to say whether it is worth it or not. If you like to stay away from ebay and feel better knowing that you can take a look a what you are going to but it is worth it. If you trust ebay enough and are not worried about buying the high end stuff online or can find them from trust worthy board members then it may not be worth it to go.

Good points. I have only bought one high end statue from eBay and one from a reputable board member. Both accounts turned out perfect. On the other hand, I am always willing to pay a little more if I can see it in person.

luckily i'm close enough to go to both. instead of staying in a hotel for celeb. IV, buddies and I are going to take the train down there every day of the celeb. do you think that's worth it? it's only about 1/2 on a train, or just cough up the cash for a hotel?

Back