Hot Toys- Batman Begins:Batman Demon & Scarecrow spec and pics

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think the only place where you can maybe see that the head is not an original is in the eye paint aps. Other than that its a great find. Nice pix.

Thanks Wake. I'm curious to see a comparison cause the eyes on mine aren't terrible...and I guess if I wanted to, easily repainted.

Wow! Nice job on the tie! :clap

Thanks! A comparison with my reference (w/photoshop! :monkey1):

I can't really sew, so I found the fabric, cut it to size, folded it, and sealed it with iron-on fabric adhesive. Probably should've gone with more of a gold sheen, and honestly, I'd like the knot a bit smaller, but there are limitations with my method. No stripes on my shirt, but I'm fine with it. :lol

I think it looks good. Only criticism would be the suit and/or body looks a little big (especially compared to the head) but that's the same for the official HT figure. Scarecrow needs a Slim TT with a slim fitting suit IMO. And since that's not the case for even the official figure.. it's irrelevant in the comparison. So congrats.. I'm sure you saved a nice chunk of change doing it yourself!

I would really like to see a book published that shows all of the "technology" that exists in the Nolan Batfilms. Especially when it comes to Begins, we have no clear photos of a lot of the props used - what do Scarecrow's fear gas devices (wrist, briefcase, etc) look like; a clear view of the Waynetech case with the grapel gun and belt in it; how the belt was originally conceived to work with the webbing attached; the closet storing the original suit (although photos of that have surfaced, they certainly weren't made available officially); the layout of the Batcave; and so on and so on.

You know that pictures of this sort of stuff do exist - there's no way that a film like this gets made without considerable documentation made for continuity, etc - but the fact that we haven't seen any of it is frustrating. I think it probably speaks to Nolan's desire as auteur to take some of the focus (at least in the first film) away from "those wonderful toys", and perhaps also says something about the fact that Begins was a bit of a gamble for Warner and so had a comparatively low budget. I wonder if it's felt that some of the items just wouldn't stand up to close scrutiny?

That's my long way of saying I want to make the fear gas accessory for my Scarecrow.

I think part of it may also be Nolan's hesitation in letting you peek behind the curtain of his magic show. He doesn't want people to get much "behind the scenes" information, since he thinks that spoils the fun - hence the lack of really in-depth special features and director commentaries on the DVDs.

Fair enough. But I've aways been the type of person to be more impressed by how a magic trick works than by the actual trick itself.

I remembered seeing a mini statue of Scarecrow with what appeared to be the gas canister set up. Here is a pic of the statue:
batmanbegins_cilianmurphy_scarecrow_mini-statue_pic3.jpg

It doesn't look to complicated to replicate. I'm thinking a couple of smoke grenades and some tubing up his jacket sleeves, beyond that I'm not sure.

But is that movie-accurate or an embelishment by an enthusiastic sculptor? If movie-accurate, then where are the reference pictures to support it? If an embelishment then how did it pass licensor review? Not exactly questions that should keep you awake at nights, but I'd still like to know!

But is that movie-accurate or an embelishment by an enthusiastic sculptor? If movie-accurate, then where are the reference pictures to support it? If an embelishment then how did it pass licensor review? Not exactly questions that should keep you awake at nights, but I'd still like to know!

But these questions DO keep me up at night. It's from DC Direct, so who's to say. Either way it's visually appealing, I might try and rig something similar when I do my DK Scarecrow.

Last edited:
If the movie Scarecrow differed from that statue in any way, then I would consider the movie inaccurate.
:panic: Quick everyone throw out your Hot Toys Scarecrow(s) We all know that DC Direct never gets anything wrong, lol. Seriously though I agree with your sarcasm, (I'm assuming sarcasm, lol) I'm in the process of trying to track down the artwork of Batman Begins and hopefully in there I'll be able to get some info for us. I only posted the pick for those of us who get tired of just seeing guys in suits all the time. :rotfl

Well I'd only be building it in order to hide it under the straight jacket so its overall usefulness would be highly questionable. It's more that I want to make it for my own personal satisfaction, and would like it to be movie-accurate for the same reasons.

Come to think of it, I'm fairly sure in the asylum basement sequence of Begins we see a close-up shot of Batman activating the Scarecrow's device against him. But like a lot of Nolan's work the camera is very tight, the light level is low, and it lasts only a few frames - enough for the brain to make the conclusion "Batman's turned on the fear gas" but that's about it. I even think I tried pausing my DVD to work it out but motion blur made it pretty undecipherable. Anyone got the blu-ray and can post a screen cap? Or have I made all of this up?

Well I'd only be building it in order to hide it under the straight jacket so its overall usefulness would be highly questionable. It's more that I want to make it for my own personal satisfaction, and would like it to be movie-accurate for the same reasons.

Same here, though I've got a TDK Scarecrow it'd fit with as well.

Come to think of it, I'm fairly sure in the asylum basement sequence of Begins we see a close-up shot of Batman activating the Scarecrow's device against him. But like a lot of Nolan's work the camera is very tight, the light level is low, and it lasts only a few frames - enough for the brain to make the conclusion "Batman's turned on the fear gas" but that's about it. I even think I tried pausing my DVD to work it out but motion blur made it pretty undecipherable. Anyone got the blu-ray and can post a screen cap? Or have I made all of this up?

These are the only two good frames I could come up with, from a 720p version of the movie:

The first is a closeup on the device:

vlcsnap-2011-03-05-21h10m24s116.jpg

The second is a few frames later, when Batman punches the device and activates it. The focus of the camera changes a bit, so you can see the plastic tubes a bit more clearly:

vlcsnap-2011-03-05-21h10m34s121.jpg

I think part of it may also be Nolan's hesitation in letting you peek behind the curtain of his magic show. He doesn't want people to get much "behind the scenes" information, since he thinks that spoils the fun - hence the lack of really in-depth special features and director commentaries on the DVDs.

Yeah, his films absolutely suck when it comes to DVD behind the scenes extras. I was really looking forward to stuff on TDK and Inception, but there was bupkis. Inception just had a documentary on dreams :lol I want to know how they did all of the floaty stuff! :gah:

Well, I FINALLY got a set en route. Looking like Tuesday for me :rock

Pretty sure my Inception Blu Ray had some behind the scenes stuff--including a look at how they did the scene with Gordon-Lewitt in the hotel and about the M.C. Escher effect.

Yeah, his films absolutely suck when it comes to DVD behind the scenes extras. I was really looking forward to stuff on TDK and Inception, but there was bupkis. Inception just had a documentary on dreams :lol I want to know how they did all of the floaty stuff! :gah:

yea i hated not being able to see any goodies/interviews on Joker mostly. Was hoping to see how the make-up was put on and all that stuff but nada

but the Inception BD has a making of featurette. watched that before I watched the BD. Aspiring to be a production designer, I live off of special features so it was great to see how they did the floating fight scene with Joseph Gordon-Levitt. BUt yea, there's more than just the Dream Documentary on the Inception BD

Did you get some DX edition or something because mine just had the dream doc and that was about it. :dunno

it's part of what's called Extraction Mode on the BD. During the movie, after specific scenes, they show a behind the scenes "making of" kind of thing of the just watched scene, then proceed with e movie and the process starts all over again. But, you can choose to just watch the individual parts themselves

Last edited:
Awesome - thanks! It's a bit ridiculous when there are only 2 usable reference frames for a key plot device of a main character...

Same here, though I've got a TDK Scarecrow it'd fit with as well.

These are the only two good frames I could come up with, from a 720p version of the movie:

The first is a closeup on the device:

vlcsnap-2011-03-05-21h10m24s116.jpg

The second is a few frames later, when Batman punches the device and activates it. The focus of the camera changes a bit, so you can see the plastic tubes a bit more clearly:

vlcsnap-2011-03-05-21h10m34s121.jpg

Back