Are Hot Toys figures losing thier value on the secondary market?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think it comes down to us, the collectors, armed with the knowledge that HT will re-release a figure in under 3 years, as to why we longer pay the inflated prices. Also the rate in which HT are churning these out has almost doubled from what it was a few years ago.

I wasn’t happy with Ripley so I decided to sell it for the same price I purchased. When I created the craigslist add and typed in $320 Can, it gave me a outside looking in perspective at how expensive this figure is. I will admit that even I said “I wouldn’t buy this for $320”!! Crazy thing it I did!!!

Dont the DX releases and say toy fair exclusives hold up decent price wise?

I wasn’t happy with Ripley so I decided to sell it for the same price I purchased. When I created the craigslist add and typed in $320 Can, it gave me a outside looking in perspective at how expensive this figure is. I will admit that even I said “I wouldn’t buy this for $320”!! Crazy thing it I did!!!

:lol That is pretty funny

Dont the DX releases and say toy fair exclusives hold up decent price wise?

It really depends... some of them do, but just because it was a DX or even TF exclusive doesn't mean they didn't over produce the figures. It really seems a bit hard to predict what HT figure will go up in value.

Hot Toys could easily change their name to Iron Man Toys. First of all they are churning them out like socks. Second, it seems like whenever you watch a video of a hottoys collector, 70% are only collecting iron man and seems like only they keep their value.

As a MGS collector,i honestly wanted to get the 2 HT figures they made even though The Boss face sculpt is terrible but as @spacejockey said, when i saw what happened to these 2 used figures with their rubber suits, especially Snake.....i was like NOPE.

I think with the retail prices starting to get higher does effect an after market sales value. With some figures costing 350-400 it’s hard to see if people will pay an additional $100-$200 on a sold out figure. Rising prices+ revamps of characters does effect “some” figures. Seems like iron man and war machine are a few figures who can have alternate versions that hold value.

I guess the ones where there are updated figures (new films), unless they are exclusive for some reason, do lose their value since there will be some sort of improvement on the new one. But take for instance the Hot Toys Star Lord Vol 2 Deluxe Version, it goes for about £280 on eBay and that's due to the exclusive accessories you get for that particular film. The Infinity War version looks very similar but just without all the accessories. I believe a figure loses value if there are multiple versions, but then again, I just choose the one I want the most. Most of them don't depreciate that much. The DX11 Joker is about £350 minimum today because of how iconic the character was and there have been no re-release since in that scale, so it holds the value. The Captain America Stealth Strike Suit is very cheap since you don't get a head sculpt and the articulation is very stiff. I guess it's more to do with the indivudal character and exclusivity of it.

https://www.bigbadtoystore.com/Search?HideInStock=false&HidePreorder=false&HideSoldOut=false&InventoryStatus=i%2Cp%2Cso&PageIndex=3&PageSize=20&SortOrder=BestSelling&SearchText=store%20credit

Here is a link to Bigbadtoy store with the search results for "store credit" that has 53 results, there are FIFTY Hot Toys figures with $100-$300 Store credit!!! For Sideshow there are just 3 results, a statue and some busts. So you can see that getting the original price you paid for last years Hot Toys might prove to be difficult if even BRAND New, many figures at BBTS are nearly half price.

Maybe they are doing too many figures to the same group of collectors? I dunno, but every Marvel (AVENGERS RELATED) movie you get LIKE 4-6 FIGURES that are costume variations of characters that already have at least 1-5 figures already made, so who has one set of Avengers Hot Toys and who has all 10 for EACH movie/costime variants of Cap, Thor, Hulk, Black Widow etc? How can you sell your Avengers figures when there is so much product out there?

Bigbadtoystore.com has the First Order Snowtroopers two pack for $390 and they give you $225 STORE CREDIT!!!!!! So you pay just$82.50 for EACH figure

View attachment 433221

Last edited:
https://www.bigbadtoystore.com/Search?HideInStock=false&HidePreorder=false&HideSoldOut=false&InventoryStatus=i%2Cp%2Cso&PageIndex=3&PageSize=20&SortOrder=BestSelling&SearchText=store%20credit

Here is a link to Bigbadtoy store with the search results for "store credit" that has 53 results, there are FIFTY Hot Toys figures with $100-$300 Store credit!!! For Sideshow there are just 3 results, a statue and some busts. So you can see that getting the original price you paid for last years Hot Toys might prove to be difficult if even BRAND New, many figures at BBTS are nearly half price.

Maybe they are doing too many figures to the same group of collectors? I dunno, but every Marvel (AVENGERS RELATED) movie you get LIKE 4-6 FIGURES that are costume variations of characters that already have at least 1-5 figures already made, so who has one set of Avengers Hot Toys and who has all 10 for EACH movie/costime variants of Cap, Thor, Hulk, Black Widow etc? How can you sell your Avengers figures when there is so much product out there?

Bigbadtoystore.com has the First Order Snowtroopers two pack for $390 and they give you $225 STORE CREDIT!!!!!! So you pay just$82.50 for EACH figure

View attachment 433221

The funny thing is that since you made this post, those snowtroopers are STILL in stock at BBTS. LMFAO.

Some characters will, especially over produced ones....

Sent from the inside of a giant slug in outer space.....

If they actually wanted to move these figures, they could, I don't know, offer them at sale prices instead of store credit on a future purchase. Just an idea.

If you buy other stuff from them it will be a better deal with the credit, I don't see them selling them outright for the same price you end up getting them for. Although, you do get taxed on the higher amount and I am not sure if they tax before or after credit is applied so you may get taxed twice in that scenario.

If they actually wanted to move these figures, they could, I don't know, offer them at sale prices instead of store credit on a future purchase. Just an idea.

That's not permitted as per the contract that they have with Sideshow.
The reason they have to sell them with BBTS discount codes is to circumvent the rule in place that says they cannot sell items for more than X% less than MSRP/retail pricing.

This is typical in the retail business. They are called "MAP Agreements" - Minimum Advertised Price Agreements. If you violate them it can lead to cancellation of your account.

Most of the HT figs that I sell either go for retail price or just under. Basically your never gonna make a lot from your HT figs but your not really losing your money because in my experience you can usually always get your money back on these things.

Most of the HT figs that I sell either go for retail price or just under. Basically your never gonna make a lot from your HT figs but your not really losing your money because in my experience you can usually always get your money back on these things.

It's hard to break even sometimes, when you add in taxes, selling fees, and shipping costs. Most of those store credit deals are not much better than you can buy them on eBay for.

I think some Hot Toys will lose value over time simply because some of the cheaper materials used means that it has quite a limited shelf life.

I made a post about the Fire Toys Catwoman and started getting confirmation about the flaking faux leather and rubber.

Googling shows this is quite a common issue.

I think as soon as your figure reaches that flaking stage then its value will plummet as it is mainly about aesthetics and the majority of buyers would not want a flaking figure.

On average, pleather last 6-8yrs.

Then say you paid $250.

250/8 = $31.25 per year of enjoyment.

If you look at it this way then its quite reasonable.

But I see on Ebays some sellers selling this 6yr old figure brand new mint in box.

As mentioned in another thread, the figure needs to be aired.

So what should happen in a few more years is these profiteers sell it BNMIB but when the buyer opens it and start touching the pleather or start moving and posing the figure then notice the flaking and demanding to be refunded with picture evidence.

It really only starts to flake when you touch or move it if its kept mint in box.

But not being aired would exacerbate the pleather's chemical degradation more quickly.

There is no way these pleather figures will last years and years.

They have a limited lifespan and should depreciate over time as you get less useful life out of it.

But most profiteers don't realise this simple scientific fact.

If you buy this figure new and then sell it near same price at year 6 then you have had complete free enjoyment of it.

The sucker that bought at year 6 will suddenly find that two years down the line the figure starts falling apart and looking skanky taht they are even afraid of displaying it to friends.

Most don’t anymore because they keep releasing the same characters after every movie
Yes I was bumbed I didn't get the movie Deadpool and looked at getting one off Ebay but was able to get v2

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Back