Cobra commander head sculpt and more

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Small updates: I do apologize for the slow progress as I've been ill. Also of my work and family responsibilities. Working time on this project is very limited. The process of preparing the surface for a flawless chrome is very intense. I'm using all automotive paints from base to clear and this is very tricky. Sanding in between layers to achieve a glass surface is crucial and this takes a massive amount of time. The sanding process takes more that 3 hour each face plate on average and thats saying if there is no corrections involved. I use a very fine optical grade compound. Starting from 1000 and ending up at 12000. The helmet is another pain in the bum. I have to layer down each coat and sand in between. The white stripe is painted on and this is masked prior to painting and blended after wards. This then was sealed by 2 k clear coat. You can see the gloss at this stage and needs a final dull coat to keep it realistic as possible. The chromed process is another expensive and extensive procedure that takes a lot of patience. I have managed to do 3 face plate at the moment. After this it needs a tint coat and a final clear coat then sanded down again to 12000 grit to achieved a glass finish. Man, this is taking all my time and very very slow. This is not to mention the process of taking the casted parts out of the pouring blocks and the process of sanding it to shape and primer and filler stage.

Here are a couple of shots of both the helmet and the face plate. (picture heavy) Hope you guys appreciate the handwork I put into this. Rouge, I will send your sculpt once everything pass my checks and testing as well as the pattern. Just bare with me man as I don't have enough time to do this in one setting.

The back side of the helmet.

The face plate at various stages.....

Closer look at the chromed face plate......

Close up of the chromed face plate I have done......what do you guys think? This still needs a clear tint and a 2 k clear coat.

With the helmet......test fit to see how CC's up to date head looks like. Helmet needs a dull coat to get rid of the protective clear coat.

Blurry......

Some more head shots..... with different angles....

FINAL SHOT AT A CLOSER ANGLE..... What do you guys think of the chrome face plate?

Thats it for now and stay tune for the final sculpt on body shots.

Small updates: I do apologize for the slow progress as I've been ill. Also of my work and family responsibilities. Working time on this project is very limited. The process of preparing the surface for a flawless chrome is very intense. I'm using all automotive paints from base to clear and this is very tricky. Sanding in between layers to achieve a glass surface is crucial and this takes a massive amount of time. The sanding process takes more that 3 hour each face plate on average and thats saying if there is no corrections involved. I use a very fine optical grade compound. Starting from 1000 and ending up at 12000. The helmet is another pain in the bum. I have to layer down each coat and sand in between. The white stripe is painted on and this is masked prior to painting and blended after wards. This then was sealed by 2 k clear coat. You can see the gloss at this stage and needs a final dull coat to keep it realistic as possible. The chromed process is another expensive and extensive procedure that takes a lot of patience. I have managed to do 3 face plate at the moment. After this it needs a tint coat and a final clear coat then sanded down again to 12000 grit to achieved a glass finish. Man, this is taking all my time and very very slow. This is not to mention the process of taking the casted parts out of the pouring blocks and the process of sanding it to shape and primer and filler stage.

Here are a couple of shots of both the helmet and the face plate. (picture heavy) Hope you guys appreciate the handwork I put into this. Rouge, I will send your sculpt once everything pass my checks and testing as well as the pattern. Just bare with me man as I don't have enough time to do this in one setting.

The back side of the helmet.

The face plate at various stages.....

Closer look at the chromed face plate......

Close up of the chromed face plate I have done......what do you guys think? This still needs a clear tint and a 2 k clear coat.

With the helmet......test fit to see how CC's up to date head looks like. Helmet needs a dull coat to get rid of the protective clear coat.

Blurry......

Some more head shots..... with different angles....

FINAL SHOT AT A CLOSER ANGLE..... What do you guys think of the chrome face plate?

Thats it for now and stay tune for the final sculpt on body shots.

That is Awesome. how much will these be

Thanks guys. This is just half the battle. I still have a lot to do before I call it done. At this stage the basics are complete. I need to do a protective layer on top of the face plate, dull coat the helmet, fit the two together, final paint application and test fit to the body. I made it tight so that I can gradually adjust the fitment into the neck rather than going loose. Once final check is done and I'm happy with the completed head sculpt then I will let you guys know. I have the list anyway.

For the Eels, this is next on my list. Basic structure of the backpack is done but needs a lot of detailing. Once ok then I will proceed to moulding it. Please refer to Spiderrouge for the suit. :wink1:

The rank on the helmet should be a solid rectangle, but other than that, really excellent work.

The rank on the helmet should be a solid rectangle, but other than that, really excellent work.

Yes that is how it should be it the original cartoon depiction. Even sideshow did this differently. I don't think it signify a rank by itself, CC is readily identifiable it does not need any markings to distinguish him from the rest. I have tried a solid rectangle and it looks so lame at this scale. If you check my early proto-type you can see it. I also added a very slight taper but at the end I went with this as I personally feel it gives a more unique "twist".

Back