Sideshow 1/6 Imperial Probe Droid

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I registered today just to ask...
I just got my probe droid today too - but I've encountered a weird problem - my on/off switch isn't there. there's just a hole.
The sound works fine, but I can't for the life of me figure out how to turn on the lights, maybe it has something to do with that the on/off switch isn't there.
Any tips?

I had the hardest time finding the lights button. It's a bump near one of the antenna. The sound button is pretty obvious as it's a blue/grey color and there are speaker holes around it.

I think this is a fantastic piece. I too was surprised at how light it is. But on examination the engineering and detail on this thing easily justify a higher price. I hadn't realized that each of the arms are different and all of them have multiple points of articulation. A lot of the camera ports swivel too. I was a bit disappointed that there's only a single light (which changes color), but looking at the source material, that appears to be accurate.

Be careful with the arms - they are very fragile, I popped one out when assembling the thing. I don't think the snow base looks cheesy at all, although I would have preferred a clear rod. I know in the past that Lucasfilm has requested black rods on hovering objects, so that might not have been a design choice for SSC. I'm going to go steal an Iron Man support rod and see if it will fit.

I think that's right on. I don't regret getting it.
I've noticed however, that when you lift up the lid of the bottom part of the droid, you can add some metal rings around the base to give the model more weight. I think I'll do that to mine...

:goodpost:
Can't believe they did the working pistons! Eweb needed that something terrible! I know why they use these lighter harder plastics, but it makes it have a very toyish feel, but like Dave says, engineering puts it over!

Here you can see how big the 1:1 Probot was, and its details and paint apps:

probot troopers.jpg

PROBEDROIDMODELS.jpg

The instructions book for the SSC Probe Droid:

probe-droid instructions.jpg

I'll take some more photos tomorrow night. I've been working all day, but I'm home now and staring this thing down...I just posted a summary of my thoughts on Rebelscum and I'll share the same here:

Pros:

1. Killer sculpt; sharp.

2. Stock paint job is good.

3. Articulated to hell and back - the "eye" turrets all move independently of one another and the pistons work.

4. Scale looks good and as such the size has great "shelf presence".

5. Sound and light if you want it.

6. Unique collectible.

7. Appears to be screen accurate (haven't done a serious comparison yet).

Cons:

1. High price. Personally I don't think it's as overpriced as some say, but yes...

2. Delicate. Build quality is okay so I wouldn't call it "flimsy" - it's not shoddy and falling apart from normal display use (any factory QC issues aside), but not robust.

3. Hoth "base hugger" relatively weak in the detail and finish department, could have been done better although it's not terrible.

4. Stand has that odd dome-shaped design (for stability maybe?) that looks a little weird without the base hugger.

What I would change:

1. Improved paint.
2. Tougher build quality.

Was it worth it?

It was to me. I'll get over what I think is a somewhat inflated price. But now I can find the rebel base.

Thanks for posting your thoughts... price is the only thing holding me back. It's a definite want, but I have that itch telling me I should try and get it for under $200.

Loving these photos. I know for me this piece will be worth every penny. Wish I could buy a second, but that is where the price becomes prohibitive.

In regards to the stand, there is a poster on Rebelscum that said they would be looking into sourcing clear acrylic poles, so I will report back if it's a go. Definitely that is something I would like to change. Would be neat, too, if the project could be expanded to add an acrylic base, too. I quite like the base hugger, but would be a nice option to focus as much attention on the droid as possible.

Does the stand pole actually attach to the body, or does the body just sit on the stand pole top? Just wondering if it's in danger of being knocked off if someone were to bump into it.

This came out pretty good but glad I cancelled my order. I may eventually pick this up but even if I do I have no room for it and I would sell it eventually.

:lol I kinda have to laugh and applaud you at the same time, ApeManRyan! You know yourself well enough to know that you will eventually sell the piece, so why bother getting it in the first place despite of how good it came out!

Loving these photos. I know for me this piece will be worth every penny. Wish I could buy a second, but that is where the price becomes prohibitive.

In regards to the stand, there is a poster on Rebelscum that said they would be looking into sourcing clear acrylic poles, so I will report back if it's a go. Definitely that is something I would like to change. Would be neat, too, if the project could be expanded to add an acrylic base, too. I quite like the base hugger, but would be a nice option to focus as much attention on the droid as possible.

:hi5:

That would be awesome, I would much prefer a clear, acrylic pole for the stand.. DD also mentioned that one of the HT Iron Man transparent support rods, might fit.. either would be cool.

:hi5:

That would be awesome, I would much prefer a clear, acrylic pole for the stand.. DD also mentioned that one of the HT Iron Man transparent support rods, might fit.. either would be cool.

I would think it would be just a bit shorter, maybe even too short for the arms to stay above the base.

Mine just arrived. The box is super light. The probe droid is much smaller than I expected. There are delicate parts that can easily break when assembling. The instructions suck. The base is lame vinyl rubber. Would have paid more for shipping for a heavier polystone base. The droid itself looks cool especially with the LED light on. Overall I'm very happy.

Does the stand pole actually attach to the body, or does the body just sit on the stand pole top? Just wondering if it's in danger of being knocked off if someone were to bump into it.

At the very least, putting something inside to make it heavier is a good idea. And maybe somehow reinforcing the base.
I felt a little worried for it.
And honestly, even though I don't regret buying it, this was a rabbit in a hat kind of deal.
The official Sideshow images are gorgeous, and that's what made me buy, but the product you get is NOT the same thing. The images are of a heavier prototype, probably made of resin or something, completely different paintjob (see that grain to it that makes it look like it was made of metal? yeah you can forget it).

Hate to say this too, but the plain base in the sideshow pics had this connected ridge in the middle of the dome, it wasn't a perfect dome, which gave it an industrial look.
I'm glad I have it, but it's not the end-all scale version the images made it out to be.
But it did take me forever to find the light button. Haha.

Back