TMNT (teenage mutant ninja turtles)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's my look at the 1990 Movie Donatello. My favorite turtle. He isn't perfect but I think he looks great in my TMNT collection. Hope you enjoy!

Alright, I tried my hand at making these better with paint apps and little mods. This is what Playmates SHOULD have done. The shells aren't as dark as the pictures suggest.

4630a55b9ad2cdb1d4d4377558a2f8d5.jpg

4a5d69de7381dfc74aaec84a541a6bae.jpg

16dda4d92910c5f87ef72cc516b69d8c.jpg

942779b06de570fa40bf3f5a4a0d1579.jpg

:clap Looks better, but the green is too light, IMO. I like the front of the shell and how "dirty" it looks, which is great. I would've kept the original dark color of the arms,legs, and head and just added a blackwash and a little light yellow/green (mixture) on the arms and thighs, like the original prototype.

Those repaints look great. Shells are nice n shiny.
I tried to do a down n dirty repaint in Nick Raph. When it was finished I realized that I just don't possess the talent that some of you guys have. Mine just ended up looking like an old toy that was now a bit mingin' (technical term).
So yeah, great work there. Lovin how those turned out.

Looks like they went with the face Leo makes when shredder has the spear at his throat.. Don't know why they went for that look.

Leo's sculpt seems to be based off of the closing scene with Shredder, the publicity stills used for print at the time, and the Tom Spina restored costume-

image.jpg

Don's expression is based on the exagerrated lip movements the mask featured in the film, particularly the extended lower lip-

image.jpg

I personally find it pretty impressive that they took the time to try and match each distinctive Turtle mask from the film when generic looks for each would have probably sufficed for most buyers. Shows they cared about making these accurate in the sculpting department...

Sallah

It also looks like they based them somewhat on the expressions of the original figures.

Qh0iILu.jpg

Back