So the original X-Men Trilogy...

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grange Wallis

Super Freak
Reaction score
I rewatched the original 3 movies… They’re not very good. I’d have to say the films are one of weaker set Marvel films. My main experience with the X-Men is the 90’s cartoon. So the Jim Lee inspired X-Men is my idea of the X-Men. These films, like Superman Returns, are in my opinion, a missed opportunity for something great. First of the Casting… Patrick Stewart, Famka Janessen, Hugh Jackman, Rebecca Romijn, Bruce Davison where all well cast. And were the actors I had the least issue with… Sabertooth was fine and so was Ray Park, but they never really captured my imagination.

I love Ian McKellen and James Marsden (He was gold in Enchanted & a really great actor whose looks hold him back, ironically) But McKellen’s Magneto was unintimidating and never came across as ruthless, cunning and powerful Magneto I see in my minds eye. Cyclops is to the X-Men, as Superman in to the JLA. He is the hard-head Boy-Scout Powerhouse of the team. He was unwritten and never felt like he wasn’t willing to go toe-to-toe against Wolverine, something he consistently does in the Comics and X-Men: TAS cartoon. He came across as the whining younger brother, who was always complaining about his older brother borrowing his stuff without asking. Well at least in my opinion.

Rogue is a hot, sexy and horny as hell to me… In this film series she was a 100% opposite of everything that makes her character appealing as a reader. I liked the conflict of her character, but she was powerless and never projected the false self-confidence her character uses to control people and keep them beyond arm’s length… I missed her ____-sexy southern charm that Sookie Stackhouse has in droves!

The Plot of the first film was weak, Magneto’s threat was cheesy… A straight forward assault would have been way better! I understand the budget issues, All of the action was lacklustre. I honestly think the Bryan Singer is own of the most overrate Directors of today! The problems I had with this film cascade into all 3…

X-Men – 2 ½ Stars – Suffer from too many character driven plots, low-key action and a budget that never allowed it to take off!
X-Men 2 – 3 ½ Stars – Genuinely decent effort to push the series in the right direction, but again Cyclops & Magneto weren’t of the calibre of their source material and I found this frustrating!
X-Men 3 – 2 ½ Stars – This film had the issue of having everything we wanted in these film, but too much of it in one… Oh and it destroyed all of the characters… Zombie Goth Phoenix?! I was looking forward to this arch at the End of X2!!! See was looking perfect in Flames at the end of that film!

As for it compares to other Marvel Films… Better than Blade’s Trilogy, Not as good as Spider-Man’s and far from Iron-Man, The Incredible Hulk or Thor! But destroyed DareDevil, Punisher & Ghost Rider and then way behind them... Wolverine!!! What a easy movie that shouldn't have been?!?!?! :cuckoo:

I still think Superman: the Move & The Dark Knight are the best comic book films to date! With kick-Ass & Sin City being a decent 3rd and 4th. So I have high hopes for First Class as I think Matthew Vaughn is a terrific director! And I love the casting of Michael Fassbender as Magneto. He is fantastic & has a strong face that I think Magneto needs!!! McKellen just didn’t have the harden face I consider Magneto having!

Last edited:
WTF. Are you writing about the latest John Quincy Adams documentary or comic book movies? TOO MANY WORDS.

super-cool-story-bro.png

Yeah, cool story bro.

Magneto was unintimidating and never came across as ruthless, cunning and powerful Magneto I see in my minds eye.

I always thought holding the bullet to that cop's head was pretty good, not to mention that sweet scene where he pulls all the lead out of the security guard's body to escape.

Guess that doesn't count.

X2 was one of the best comic book movies of all time. Certainly better than the Incredible Hulk. Yes, Cyc was under-written and underplayed, but these movies were really about Wolverine and Jean, Xavier and Magento - the other characters were just backdrop.

X2 was one of the best comic book movies of all time. Certainly better than the Incredible Hulk. Yes, Cyc was under-written and underplayed, but these movies were really about Wolverine and Jean, Xavier and Magneto - the other characters were just backdrop.

The only characters that were well casted IMO

I did say I didn't like them, I was just pointing out how they are underwhelming films... Maybe we've been spoilt lately... I just hope First Class can relaunch this franchise well. Unlike Bryan "hack" Singer did...

And regarding my comments about McKellen's Magneto... I just don't think he has the head for the role. He just looked too old or too unfit for Magneto. Visually, he wasn't well cast IMO.

I liked the first two. I hated the 3rd when I first saw it but recently re watched it on TV and I still dont like it but there was some scenes I actually thought were kinda cool. The scene where Magneto frees those jailed mutants from that armored truck and Mystique gets shot with "the cure" and he just gives her the cold shoulder and leaves her ass there. I also liked when Juggernaut was just plowing through those walls at the end in chase of Kitty Pryde. I thought the Phoenix wasnt even utilized and alot of cool things could have been done with her. Oh and the bridge scene in the end was neat. But that was all FX and eye candy if anything.

Too many words.

X1 = Good comic book movie..
X2 = Pretty good comic book movie.
X3 - Decent comic book movie.

X2 was one of the best comic book movies of all time. Certainly better than the Incredible Hulk. Yes, Cyc was under-written and underplayed, but these movies were really about Wolverine and Jean, Xavier and Magento - the other characters were just backdrop.
I agree with this. X2 is still one of my top comic movies, though the way Cyclops was misused in all 3 movies was criminal.

I liked the first two. I hated the 3rd when I first saw it but recently re watched it on TV and I still dont like it but there was some scenes I actually thought were kinda cool. The scene where Magneto frees those jailed mutants from that armored truck and Mystique gets shot with "the cure" and he just gives her the cold shoulder and leaves her ass there. I also liked when Juggernaut was just plowing through those walls at the end in chase of Kitty Pryde. I thought the Phoenix wasnt even utilized and alot of cool things could have been done with her. Oh and the bridge scene in the end was neat. But that was all FX and eye candy if anything.

I almost walked out of X3

I have no problems with any of the X-men films. The first one pretty much paved the way for the quality movies we're getting now so I think it might be a little unfair to compare it (being 10 years old now) to Iron Man and such. I'm on the same page as everyone else with the others-- X-2 is awesome, and X-3 is just alright.

Back