Tips to keeping your outdoor pets cool this summer

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just thought it would be nice to share with everyone great tips on keeping your outdoor dog or cat cool during the summer.

Our oldest male cat now must be outside whenever we're not home as he has not been going to his litter box when he should be. And I like to keep a nice clean, smelly free home. So he's only allowed in the house with supervision. This leaves him outside all night, and 2 or so times a week during the day. But I am in Texas and have been worried about him getting too hot during the day and so I tried looking up ideas to keeping him cool.

Best thing I found is to put a cool damp towel in his house with him. Texas heat will dry that up in a couple hours. So I took it a step further. I thought I would dampen a towel, keep it in a plastic bag in the fridge over night, and then put in the freezer for a couple hours before heading to work, and then stick that in his cat house before leaving. I'll be trying it Wednesday of next week.

Oh, I also heard that if your dog or cat will drink gatorade, that it's good to mix that in their water for electrolytes.

Anyone else have any ideas?

If you have an old refrigerator you can just plug in outside and then stick your outside pets in that to sleep in overnight. That way they'll stay cool. PETA disagrees with this but PETA complains about everything.

Not a believer at all in outside pets. Domesticated animals were made to live indoors. That's just my opinion. I hate watching people just dump their animals outside because they don't want to deal with them anymore. :gah:

Well, I don't consider myself in that category. He's only going to be outside while I'm gone to work. If you'd like, I can bring him to your place and he can pee and poo all over your carpet instead? ;)

why doesn't he use the box? cats don't use the box for a reason. he might have a bladder infection or something. did you take him to the vet?

I'd take him to the vet to make sure he doesn't have a bladder infection but other than that he'll be fine outside as long as he can find shade. My cats are indoor/outdoor cats, basically they go out when they have to potty and when they want to go hang out outside....best of both worlds. I'm surrounded by woods so they like going outside...plus they kill the moles and sometime a mouse outside....actually one brought a teenage rabbit to the front door a few days ago....that was sad though.

He is perfectly fine. His litter is outside and his little bro asks to go out but phoenix just wants to go when he wants to. So, best option for our home is outdoors. He will be fine as we are going to implement a cooling system. He'll have a house out there too where we'll put this 'cooling towel system' and he'll have a big bowl of water, his litter, etc. He'll be okay.

If you have an old refrigerator you can just plug in outside and then stick your outside pets in that to sleep in overnight. That way they'll stay cool. PETA disagrees with this but PETA complains about everything.

i was about to suggest the same thing. I havent heard my dog complain not even once. And I put her in there 2 weeks ago.

not into outdoor animas either. outdoor cats, not so bad. or if you live on a ranch or farm an outdoor dog is fine. i live in a subdivision and we've got idiots with 300 sqft yards that just aren't big enough and the houses are too close together to have dogs just stay outside and annoy the neighbors. its like why even have a dog if its outside all the time?

Not a believer at all in outside pets. Domesticated animals were made to live indoors. That's just my opinion. I hate watching people just dump their animals outside because they don't want to deal with them anymore. :gah:

I've seen people buy expensive dogs then stick them outside in all elements. Just doesn't make sense to me.

As for cats, I can't tell you how many get killed because they get into the streets. Sometimes teenagers aim for them too. Also, people steal pets and sell them for lab animals.

6abdde40-7f00-0001-0632-d3603ce1594a.jpg

Just thought it would be nice to share with everyone great tips on keeping your outdoor dog or cat cool during the summer.

Our oldest male cat now must be outside whenever we're not home as he has not been going to his litter box when he should be. And I like to keep a nice clean, smelly free home. So he's only allowed in the house with supervision. This leaves him outside all night, and 2 or so times a week during the day. But I am in Texas and have been worried about him getting too hot during the day and so I tried looking up ideas to keeping him cool.

Best thing I found is to put a cool damp towel in his house with him. Texas heat will dry that up in a couple hours. So I took it a step further. I thought I would dampen a towel, keep it in a plastic bag in the fridge over night, and then put in the freezer for a couple hours before heading to work, and then stick that in his cat house before leaving. I'll be trying it Wednesday of next week.

Oh, I also heard that if your dog or cat will drink gatorade, that it's good to mix that in their water for electrolytes.

Anyone else have any ideas?

You can get those blue ice things and freeze them. Or those flexible ice things they use for injuries. Those might work better and stay cooler longer than a towel.

I've seen people buy expensive dogs then stick them outside in all elements. Just doesn't make sense to me.

As for cats, I can't tell you how many get killed because they get into the streets. Sometimes teenagers aim for them too. Also, people steal pets and sell them for lab animals.

I dont know about the selling as lab animals. As someone that worked in the field for 3 years, I can tell you that organizations are very strict about how and where they get lab animals, not to mention there isnt a high demand for cats and dogs in research. I believe only about 3 or 4% of those kinds of animals are used in research, with mice being the biggest bulk used in research; I believe primates only account for 1% of research animals. Just a little fyi

Back to the subject though, we always give are older dog a shave during the summer, and it really seems to make her more comfortable................

You know that not much has changed with these animals from being wild to domesticated so they arent complete amoebas. A small bit of shade should be sufficient to keep any animal warm.

It's actually a huge patio 3rd floor up. So he wont be getting into the streets, otherwise, I would figure something else out. He LOVES being outside and is usually out there all day anyways, as he asks to be. But when I'm not home to watch him or bring him in when he's ready to come in, then I need to make sure he's protected and cool. I'm heading out today to find him a good house. Walmart doesn't have anything for his size cause they kind of suck like that. So, pet stores it is.

get a fan & keep plenty of water out there. should be sufficient.

I dont know about the selling as lab animals. As someone that worked in the field for 3 years, I can tell you that organizations are very strict about how and where they get lab animals, not to mention there isnt a high demand for cats and dogs in research. I believe only about 3 or 4% of those kinds of animals are used in research, with mice being the biggest bulk used in research; I believe primates only account for 1% of research animals. Just a little fyi

Back to the subject though, we always give are older dog a shave during the summer, and it really seems to make her more comfortable................

It is something that happens mostly in bigger cities. Also, with all the pitbulls around my area, they steal them for training the pitbulls to fight. Plus, there's always the crazies who just like killing them or using them for some wacky rituals.

I watch mine like I would watch a kid.

You know that not much has changed with these animals from being wild to domesticated so they arent complete amoebas. A small bit of shade should be sufficient to keep any animal warm.

:goodpost:Yeah, shade always keeps me warm. :nana:

:1-1:

In Ohio right now it is so hot and muggy. My dog doesn't even like the shade right now.

Back