green lantern movie starring ryan reynolds, yay or nay?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
i'm looking forward to it.

i'm a fan of ryan reynolds, and it's exciting to see another DC property hit the big screen.

HOWEVER, i'm more excited with the eventual HT figure.

my HT supes and bats are getting tired kicking ass themselves, they need another member to join the league.

I dunno. Could be a good a film. I think Ryan Gosling would have been an interesting choice if he had decided to take the role. I don't really like Reynolds. I mean how many times has he already tried it in superhero films? I'm willing to give the film a go to. I watched Reynolds the other night in Adventureland and he seemed to be a good age now to take on this lead role and he reminded me of Bale only terms of age and build when he was doing Begins. Be nice to see another DC superhero do well. Like you say be interesting to see the design and HT figure.

I love Reynolds as Deadpool in the Origins movie. They way he pulls off the one liners are great. But as Hal Jordan I don't think he's right for the role. As Kyle Rydner he's perfect but I don't see him as Jordan. But we'll have to see when the movie comes out. I'm psyched about a GL movie. Really looking forward to it.

I like Ryan Reynolds but I know almost nothing of the Green Lantern so I couldn't comment on how well he'll do in the role. His performances are still really enjoyable so I would like to see it.

I think he may surprise us in this movie, i would not have gone for Ryan Reynolds but now that he is cast, and after hearing some positive feedback on him from none other than Geoff Johns - i'm quite optimistic on this film

LOVE the GL character and mythos though. DC better now screw this one up

Ryan Reynods is the new Nick Cage....and we all know how this gonna end.
Yes to Lantern !!
No to Reynolds !!

That's good. If Geoff Johns thinks he'll be good then maybe he will. Maybe Reynolds will be more serious in this film or something. Either way I hope DC doesn't screw this up either. AND I hope they don't screw up the costume either. I love the costume as it is so I hope they don't switch it around too much. Definitely going to get the Hot Toys figures. Hope they do a Kiliwog.

I don't know much about Green Lantern but I think this film will be good and was more confident in the project when Reynolds was cast.

I'm going to employ "The Ledger Assumption Fallacy" people assume Van Wilder and say "He can't be Hal". Here are some points to consider.

1. Hal Jordan's appearance was based on the young look of Paul Newman. One of Newman's signature looks was his well defined facial features and toned body. Reynolds doesn't look like Newman but definitely has a well defined facial structure and body.

2. Hal Jordan is a no nonsense kind of guy who cracks a lot of jokes while doing what he does. Many of his Silver Age constructs were products of his sense of humor, egg beaters, boxing gloves, etc. Reynolds has shown he can do that and make it believable.

3. Geoff Johns who has been writing Hal for a decade has seen Ryan perform lines and has seen him in early costuming (not GL costume) and said on his Twitter that he IS Hal Jordan. That is enough for me.

4. Jordan is part of a larger picture, the GL Corps is the main star but Hal needs to stick out. In that abomination Wolverine: Origins, Deadpool had a small part where you could know its Reynolds and whenever he was on-screen he pulled attention away from even Jackman and that is what you need in Hal Jordan, someone who is carismatic enough to draw your attention even when there is a huge intergalactic threat or aliens standing beside him.

He'll be fine. The film will be fantastic. I have absolutely no doubt.

Geoff Johns who has been writing Hal for a decade has seen Ryan perform lines and has seen him in early costuming (not GL costume) and said on his Twitter that he IS Hal Jordan. That is enough for me.
Geoff Johns will never says :"Reynolds is the worst Hal I could ever imagine". It is not in his interest to burst the character who will make the audience buy the comics after seeing the movie.

2. Hal Jordan is a no nonsense kind of guy who cracks a lot of jokes while doing what he does. Many of his Silver Age constructs were products of his sense of humor, egg beaters, boxing gloves, etc. Reynolds has shown he can do that and make it believable.

Mike while I agree with some of what you said do you think they will use the Silver Age GL for the movie or the current GL where he's gone through everything he has? Personally I think that they will use the current GL for the movie so that even people who dont know GL the way we do will understand him. It seems like all the Comic movies tend to use the current incarnation of the character rather than the original character. Imagine how Batman Begins would've been like if they used Adam West's Batman or the original Batman?

I'm not saying I hate the idea of Reynolds as GL. Infact I'm over joyed at the idea of him playing GL. I think he would make a great GL just not a Jordan GL. I see him more like Kyle's GL. But like you said if Johns thinks he'll do Jordan justice than I'm ok with it. He's done too good of a job in the past to doubt him. Except for Hawkman in Absolute Justice.... or maybe it wasn't his fault. I hated Hawkman's costume in the episode. UGH...He looked like a fat bastard in the armor.

Geoff Johns will never says :"Reynolds is the worst Hal I could ever imagine". It is not in his interest to burst the character who will make the audience buy the comics after seeing the movie.

No but since his visit to the GL set and with production designers was completely unannounced even by studio it would have been more PC to simply not say anything or just to tweet "Things with GL are going fine." Actually stating that Reynold IS Hal is a bold statement even if he is directly involved, you put yourself on the line of creditability with that statement and I don't believe that Johns is dumb enough to risk Fanboy critique.

Mike while I agree with some of what you said do you think they will use the Silver Age GL for the movie or the current GL where he's gone through everything he has? Personally I think that they will use the current GL for the movie so that even people who dont know GL the way we do will understand him. It seems like all the Comic movies tend to use the current incarnation of the character rather than the original character. Imagine how Batman Begins would've been like if they used Adam West's Batman or the original Batman?

You have to understand 2 things. 1: Batman has had serials dating back into the 40s, each film or show incarnation was a revamping that built on its past. GL doesn't have that so you can't compare even with something that was goofy like West's Batman which is still beloved by the way. 2: You have TDK to thank for darker films according to many reps and Iron Man to thank for continuity melding. The Iron Man films melded Silver Age, Modern Age, Ultimates, Cartoon AND even some originality to get where they've gotten. We already know that GL's Hal Jordan is a mix of the Modern Age specifically Emerald Dawn I and II but also the humor of the Silver Age AND that pieces of First Flight were looked at for tweaks. Have no fear....its not Lantern like.

I'm looking forward to seeing GL on the bigscreen! I agree with Mike, RR will be fine as Hal/GL and the film will be fantastic & fun! :lecture

A Man who knows his stuff. :D

Hal is a smart ass, cocky fighter pilot with a wicked sense of humor. Reynolds can easily pull this off. I'm all in for a GL film and I trust Johns who just recently said, "The age of the Green Lantern is upon us." That got me really excited and with the Nolans in the early phases of a Superman reboot, well let's just say I'm a very happy DC fan right now.

Back