Opinions wanted aborted purchase of GG 1:1 bust

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Was it ethical not to buy the bust

• No. You should buy the bust cos that was what was agreed upon

Votes: 2 4.4%
  • Yes. There is no obligation as the bust was defective and not mint as stated

Votes: 43 95.6%

• Total voters

tnaig001

Super Freak
Reaction score
Hi. Was originally excited that I was going to get my hands on a 1:1 General Grevious bust today but the sale was botched :monkey2

The seller (who I later found out, is a member of the forum) then started accusing me of being an insincere buyer who wasted his time.

These are the facts of the matter:

The seller advertised his bust on ebay.sg as being new in box

I emailed the seller and made an offer. He accepted and I also asked if the bust was free from defects. The seller told me the bust was mint.

I then made arrangements to pick up the bust from the seller's residence which was a 2 hour round trip by bus.

On reaching I looked at the bust and it was obvious to me that there was something wrong with the mic on the left side of the grevious bust.

One side was horizontal (as it should be) and the other was raised at about a 30 degree angle.

I pointed this out to the seller who insisted this was normal.

I then looked behind the bust to see where the mic was joined and noticed what appeared to be a break that was glued back.

I proceeded to take out my display LED to verify as it was not bright enough to see clearly (it was approx 6.30pm).

Seller insisted it was not a break even though it could be seen that it was.

I told the seller i had to reconsider as the bust was defective. I did not accuse the seller of being dishonest. I just stated the facts - the bust was defective and i had to reconsider.

So i left the place and then got an offer for a reduced price. I told the seller that i would only pay US$390 (original agreed price was $465) if the bust was defective as i would then have to pay someone to fix it for me.

The seller has now been texting me accusing me of being unethical for wasting his time and not buying the bust as agreed upon. He believes it is unethical for a buyer to back out once a deal has been struck, despite the fact the bust is defective.

I'm tired of arguing and thought perhaps the rest can weigh in so we can get an unbiased opinion.

sorry for the wall of text.

I would have done the same thing... better to realize the problem at time of purchase rather than get it home and have to make a second trip or try to reclaim money/work out a compromise after the fact.

IMO its up to the buyer to be knowledgeable about condition and able to guarantee that the condition is as stated, in this case he was not so the deal is null and void.

So (just based on your accounting) I think you were in the right.

If the item was clearly defective and/or clearly repaired, you were 100% in the right to back out of the sell. At least you didn't have to pay return shipping.

If the item was clearly defective and/or clearly repaired, you were 100% in the right to back out of the sell. At least you didn't have to pay return shipping.

That was the point I was trying to put across. However the seller insisted the damage was a side issue.

I was exasperated that he couldn't comprehend that the reason why I chose not to buy was becos of the defect.

I mean who in the right mind would spend 2 hours travelling by bus if they didn't have the intention to buy in the first place?

So did you actually go through ebaY, make an offer and he ended the listing? Or did you make the offer, he canceled the auction and you guys did this under the table?

So did you actually go through ebaY, make an offer and he ended the listing? Or did you make the offer, he canceled the auction and you guys did this under the table?

eBay.com.sg is new so there is no listing fee or final selling fees. It's basically in it's infancy so everything is free if you list an item locally only.

The seller left his cell number and I texted him and he agreed to my offer provided I pick up the item from his place. He did not end the listing.

So all in all no $$ was lost to the seller. And since he did not end the listing (it's still running) neither did he lose any oher potential buyer.

You did nothing wrong. The item was not mint as described, all bets are off. Next time he texts you, text back to fauk off.

hi
ebay clearly states that if an item has been described wrongly and is not in the condition the seller states it is in then you have every right, morally and legally, to back out of the deal. the seller is being unethical because he advertised the bust as mint when it clearly isnt. block his number on your mobile and move on with your head held high!

Don't worry about it. When it comes to $$ and getting screwed out of it there's no such thing as "wasting my time" excuse. There was no handshake or contract so forget about him. If he wants to get whiny about it just deflect it back and ask for bus fare since he wasted not only your time, but also your money to get there and back.

sounds like the seller completely wasted your time... congrats on making a good choice and walking away.

thanks for taking the time to vote and reply guys. Hope the seller (who is probably the one who voted the other way) will see some sense and realize that the most people (if not all people) will not buy a product that is defective and find some sense of closure.

Will keep the poll open for another day before asking the mods to lock it up.

You didn't buy the piece because it was defective. You agreed on a price/purchase for a mint piece and it was not mint. Simple as that.

I agree. You are in the right in this case. Move on from this seller and ignore his texts. The piece was damaged and you chose not to buy. If anything it was a waste of time for you and not the seller. You were the one that had to take a trip 2 hours out to look at a piece that was clearly damaged even though the seller lied & said it was mint.

The seller was definitely in the wrong based on all the facts given. You were lucky to have been able to see the bust before any money changed hands.

eBay.com.sg is new so there is no listing fee or final selling fees. It's basically in it's infancy so everything is free if you list an item locally only.

The seller left his cell number and I texted him and he agreed to my offer provided I pick up the item from his place. He did not end the listing.

So all in all no $$ was lost to the seller. And since he did not end the listing (it's still running) neither did he lose any oher potential buyer.

I dunno. If your side is true (I gotta be fair here), give him two choices...

1) Leave you alone and resell the item

2) You can follow through with the EbaY deal, BUT you'll be reporting the issue to EbaY, filing a claim through PayPal for fraud to get your money back, and when you're done, not only will he have a negative claim through PayPal, but you'll leave negative feedback for him identifying him as a fraud since he sold it new and mint after you pointed out the break.

Personally, if he'd demanded that from me, I would've done the latter and said, "Well, it was you who wanted me to fulfill the auction, wasn't it?"

I dunno. If your side is true (I gotta be fair here), give him two choices...

1) Leave you alone and resell the item

2) You can follow through with the EbaY deal, BUT you'll be reporting the issue to EbaY, filing a claim through PayPal for fraud to get your money back, and when you're done, not only will he have a negative claim through PayPal, but you'll leave negative feedback for him identifying him as a fraud since he sold it new and mint after you pointed out the break.

Personally, if he'd demanded that from me, I would've done the latter and said, "Well, it was you who wanted me to fulfill the auction, wasn't it?"

He has stopped texting me after I told him that it might be best to seek an unbiased opinion by putting up a poll since he felt so strongly about it.

I hope he has found closure. Its in no ones interest to have negative energy :peace

You did nothing wrong. I tend to avoid opened items because of cases like this.

Back