Star Wars Death Troopers (novel) Discussion

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IrishJedi

Super Freak
Reaction score
So, this comes out today (I think). Anyone gonna pick it up?

new_death_troopers.jpg

Here's an excerpt: https://www.starwars.com/vault/books/news20090917/index.html

Zombie Stormtroopers. Heh.

I looked at this at SDCC and felt a considerable level of blah about it. I'll wait until the reviews are in before making any final judgments, but I'm not about to shell out cash for it right now.

Yeah, the last SW novel I felt inclined to purchase at full Hardcover price was DARK LORD by James Luceno. That was about 3-4 years ago.

Still, this is just so far off the beaten path of anything that's ever been done (even in the EU) that it's at least intriguing. But I too will wait for some reviews to pour in. If any Freaks pick this up, share your thoughts here!

Its an interesting concept but I have a hard time reading about Zombie Stormtroopers. Feels like a "jump the shark" moment here but who knows....maybe it will be good. :dunno

Its an interesting concept but I have a hard time reading about Zombie Stormtroopers. Feels like a "jump the shark" moment here but who knows....maybe it will be good. :dunno

I think we "jumped the shark" with SW long ago, though. Seriously, nothing even surprises me anymore with this stuff. Totally desensitized and numb to it all. And I'm sure I'm not alone.

But just when we think we've reached the nadir something else comes along and take the mantle (SE Jabba > Jedi Rocks > Jar Jar > Ziro The Hutt and on and on).

Actually, you know what WILL surprise me at this point? If the live action TV show is actually good.

I think we "jumped the shark" with SW long ago, though. Seriously, nothing even surprises me anymore with this stuff. Totally desensitized and numb to it all. And I'm sure I'm not alone.

No, you really aren't. I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if LFL created a "SW vs. Happy Days" line just so they could commission a diorama of Anakin in a Fonzi jacket ski jumping over an actual polystone shark. We didn't know how good we had it in 1996. :)

No, you really aren't. I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if LFL created a "SW vs. Happy Days" line just so they could commission a diorama of Anakin in a Fonzi jacket ski jumping over an actual polystone shark. We didn't know how good we had it in 1996. :)

And sadly, that ^^^^ would sell millions! :lol

I have a copy and will be getting it signed. Not that I'm hugely excited (haven't even started reading it).

found a copy last night on my bi-weekly book purchase. I'll likly read it next week.

It's a deep space zombie story with a star wars setting. AFAIK no film character, no nothing that can screw up the films.

I've run this same scenario several times with my weekly tabletop gaming group, so I'm eager to see someone else take on it.

I hadn't heard about this one. I might pick it up if the reviews are good.

The one I am really looking forward to is the new 501st book from Karen Traviss on the 27th. Her clone commando books are excellent :)

It's a deep space zombie story with a star wars setting. AFAIK no film character, no nothing that can screw up the films.

I'm about 1/3 of the way through it. Bought at BEST BUY of all places!

And while they didn't advertise this aspect, it prominently features Han Solo and Chewbacca. Obviously, they'll survive the zombie troopers.

I don't know if I'm going to bother picking up the book (not until I can get a used copy for diddly squat in a few months anyway), but I'm looking forward to seeing someone come up with custom 1:6 zombie troopers....

I don't know if I'm going to bother picking up the book (not until I can get a used copy for diddly squat in a few months anyway), but I'm looking forward to seeing someone come up with custom 1:6 zombie troopers....

Check out the Stormtrooper art from SDCC, just off center, next to the creamsickle.... ;)

Called it ^^^^^es.

IMG_1743Large.jpg

Just finished the book. Took about 3 hours...maybe less. It's only 234 pages. The remaining 40 are a long excerpt from the first "Fate of the Jedi" book.

Honestly, I didn't care for it. It was definitely very graphic and gory, but the plot was paper-thin. The reason for the zombies was the typical
Spoiler Spoiler:
, but the mechanics of it are only revealed in a brief exchange at the end and they don't really make coherent sense. It does remind me of the way "Satan" functioned in John Carpenter's Prince of Darkness.

And towards the end, the zombies started "jumping the shark" by
Spoiler Spoiler:

Adding Han and Chewie into the mix was a horrendous decision! Their actions, words, and dialogue were completely out of character. They could've easily been two more generic characters.

In the end, Death Troopers was an interesting experiment and certainly took Star Wars into a dark, dark realm, but the story was pedestrian and forgettable.

Is there any way for this thread to not exist. Can't we just pretend this never happened?

Back