Doing a Rambo costume for halloween, is it ok to walk around with all-black toy gun?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Batfreak

Super Freak
Reaction score
i decided i wanted to be Rambo from "first blood" this halloween, its perfect, the costume is great and was pretty simple to do. however, rambo is nothing without his machine gun. i went to walmart and bought a cheap toy machine that has lights and sounds, but it was light blue!! i thought man, if i could just paint this. so i bought some black spraypaint and now the gun looks perfect and accurate, and actually looks amazingly cool along with me wearing the ammo clips the costume looks amazing (will get pics up sometime before halloween). however when i was at the hallween store i asked the ppl there if it was ok to carry around an all black toy machine gun and they said that it was okm as long as you have the little orange tip, which my does. i thought cool, but i wanted to know for sure, i just dont want to end up like rambo in the film and go to jail lol. but im gonna be in the PA and NY areas in my costume most likely, is this ok? i just dont wanna have the police get me cuz of my fake black toy gun or even worse, ask me to put it away. i need to gun for the costume!

You should be fine, do not remove the orange tip though, even if you think it looks cooler without it. Post pics of your costume! :peace

I just searched for some info. This is in KY, I found this on a local Gov sight.

"When using a toy firearm with a costume, make sure the toy gun has an orange tip on the end of the barrel."

The only place I wouldn't even try is in Cali.

I just searched for some info. This is in KY, I found this on a local Gov sight.

"When using a toy firearm with a costume, make sure the toy gun has an orange tip on the end of the barrel."

The only place I wouldn't even try is in Cali.

oh cool, i think the only time you get in trouble is because someone feels threatened and reports it. but with a halloween costume, that prolly wont happen cuz im all dressed up.

even though thats KY, is that law also for PA and NY?

oh cool, i think the only time you get in trouble is because someone feels threatened and reports it. but with a halloween costume, that prolly wont happen cuz im all dressed up.

even though thats KY, is that law also for PA and NY?

I do not think it is an actual law persay. They just had guidelines for halloween on the local Gov website. As far as I know, toy guns are OK as long as they have an orange barrel. Certain places they are not allowed, schools, banks, post offices etc.

I can't find anything for PA that is an actual law. But as long as you have the orange barrel you should be OK. I was surprised to see while searching, so many movements to Ban toy guns Period. :rolleyes:

Just don't run around in the dark with it. I am assuming you will be inside at a party or something. I can't see why that would be an issue.

well, prolly go to the mall and places like that to meet up with some ppl, but thats it really. defiently wont be going to a post office or bank or anything like that lol. rambo doesnt cash checks.

Remember if you see a Predator, don't forget to offer it some candy
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="https://www.youtube.com/v/QrlYJmow5-E&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="https://www.youtube.com/v/QrlYJmow5-E&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Be very careful. Do not point it at anyone even in a joking manner. Many stories of people with toy guns being shot by police because they were called about someone with a gun.

It happened to a guy i grew up with. He used a cap gun to get the cops to kill him. police assisted suicide. Ruined the cops life. All for a measly gambling debt that he could not pay.

maybe i can warp some orange tape around the sides so it looks more like a fake?

Just be careful and you'll be ok, I don't think police deal with guys running around with M60s everyday, the police shootings are probably due to guys carrying smaller capguns. Or Hero Sandwiches. Poor Blue.

ok here are some pics of my near-finished costume:

just plan on adding some blood stains on face and arm, do the hair a bit more accurate, perhaps some grease for the sweaty look (too cold for "natural" sweat lol), get a 5 o'clock shadow going. only wish i had a knife on the belt. maybe ill look around. i know that a real knife will not suffice at all in public lol. also would like to add a gun-strap so i can wear it on my back. anyway what do ya guys think? not a very hard costume to do but it was the coolest and cheapest costume i could think of, coupled with my recent Rambo fasination it was the obvious choice.

Last edited:
So a Bank Robber could trick the police by putting an orange tip on a real gun?

I was thinking the same exact thing... I mean if it's so easy to spraypaint a toy gun black and scare the ^^^^ outta ppl, wouldn't it be just as easy to spraypaint a real gun, say, blue with an orange tip and be like "Oh yeah, this, it's just for my costume" and then like shoot a jillion ppl with it...

Why wouldn't people think of that as a possibility? :huh

Wow, the costume looks excellent. Put some self-tanner on, add a few more waves in your hair, and you will be good to go!

Back