9 Steps To Surviving SDCC

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bamboota

Super Freak
Reaction score
I changed the last one cuz the original was just a plug for the IO9 websites panel!

VIA: https://io9.com/5317744/the-9-steps-to-surviving-sdcc?skyline=true&s=x
So this is your first San Diego Comic-Con? Congratulations... but just remember what they used to tell everyone who was joining the X-Men for the first time: Hope you survive the experience. Here're some tips to help you do that.

#1: Realize That You Can't Do It All
If you've spent any time with the program schedule, you'll have noticed that there's far, far too much going on at almost all times for you to be able to fit in everything that looks cool. Don't worry; we'll give you our picks of where to find yourself tomorrow, but for now, just breathe deeply and realize that SDCC is a zen experience as much as a comic convention: Once you find yourself able to let go, you'll find everything a lot easier.

#2: Be Prepared (1)

San Diego is big. And we don't just mean "important in a pop cultural sense," we mean "it's literally very large." You're going to do a lot of walking, and a lot of standing around in line. It's not as ridiculous as it sounds to suggest that you make sure that you're prepared for more strenuous exercise than just sitting in your office, looking at the internet all day (or maybe that's just us). Well, unless you end up living in Hall H - home of all the big movie panels - for the entire con, in which case, you're probably fine.

#3: Know What You Want

Not just in terms of what panels you want to attend, but also in terms of what you want to buy, who you want to meet, and what booths you want to see on the main floor. Study the program and find out where you want to go and when; you'll save yourself a lot of time, trouble and accidental meetings with minor celebrities who wish that you'd remember their guest-shot on Babylon 5 that way, and isn't that what you really want?

That said:
#4: Roll With The Punches
Firstly, once you've made your plan? Go back and look at lesson #1. And then, bear in mind that you're probably going to find yourself accidentally running into some minor celebrity that will completely charm you at some point during the weekend (It's always Noel Neill for me, but admittedly, that's normally Wondercon) or find yourself in the middle of some weird cosplay dance party that you didn't expect, and that occasionally wonderful things can happen as well as disasters (But it's normally a disaster).

#5: Manners Count

You've all heard the story about the fan who accosted Alan Moore in the restroom and, being so demanding of recognition, attention and potentially urinary stream of the legendary creator, broke Moore's mind so much that he became a hermit who believed in a sock-puppet god, wrote Lost Girls and never attending a comic convention ever again, yeah?

Don't be that dude.

It's not just a general "Don't be a jerk to creators and celebrities" thing, either; try and remember that everyone else at the con is pretty much having the same experience as you (Barring any unforeseen personal disaster on your behalf, in which case, I'm sorry), so trying to rein in all jerk tendencies will result in less chance of physical altercation that may leave you even more unhappy.

#6: Be Prepared (2)
Bring cash. Maybe not enough cash that you have to wrap it into a suspicious-looking wad wrapped with rubber bands, but enough that, when you suddenly discover that the guy with the sweet print that you want to buy doesn't take credit cards, you won't have to spend thirty minutes in line for the one ATM at the con that's still working. On a similar note, bring water, because you'll need it sooner than you think. Snacks, too.

#7: Everything Will Take Longer Than You Expect
Remember when you're a kid, and you went to Disneyworld/land and had to wait in line for "It's A Small World After All"? San Diego Comic-Con is a lot like that, only you're waiting to find out about limited edition Cobra Commander figures instead of watching terrifying mechanoids mime to a muffled-yet-cheerful song about the global village. There will be lines for everything: panels, signings, trying to pick up that limited edition Cobra Commander figure. It's the nature of the beast, so just accept it and get chatty with the people around you. Make it a smaller world all on your own, y'hear?

#8: Don't Stare At The Booth Babes, Cosplayers, etc.
Yes, they're there to be looked at, but there's good looking and there's "You're making me rather uncomfortable when all I'm doing is trying to celebrate the innocence of Mary Marvel, Captain Marvel's underage crime-fighting sister" looking. There's a fine line, and we're not even sure where it is, but it's definitely there.

#9:Have fun
San Diego Comic-Con, more than any other, is its own alternate reality that you have to experience for yourself. Just remember to drink lots of water, keep your sense of humor and bathe more than once during the whole thing, and you'll be fine.

We hope.

DON'T FORGET TO CHECK OUT THE SIDESHOW COLLECTIBLES PANEL!

Good tips! I don't even know what to expect. I just want to meet everyone. I hope I don't actually melt in the presence of Banny's awesomeness. :bow

Good tips! I don't even know what to expect. I just want to meet everyone. I hope I don't actually melt in the presence of Banny's awesomeness. :bow

This is what happened to a few people last year:
facemelt.gif

You might want to add to the ignoring the booth babes, REALLY ignore the Suicide Girls because they will go out of their way to make an ass out of you.

Also, be nice to people with kids and strollers. Remember, the Comic-con is a comic/toy convention and parents want their kids to see cool stuff also. :D

You might want to add to the ignoring the booth babes, REALLY ignore the Suicide Girls because they will go out of their way to make an ass out of you.

Also, be nice to people with kids and strollers. Remember, the Comic-con is a comic/toy convention and parents want their kids to see cool stuff also. :D

I HATE stroller people! Now the suicide girls, bring them on! :lol

I really don't have a problem with that.
I think they look like fools (a little goes a long way), so I barely give them a passing glance. However, last year I was looking at a wall vendor near them with my niece and they were going out of their way to make alot of noise and pull people into their little hut.

I HATE stroller people!
I don't care if you hate us, just try not to be rude or shoot us snotty looks. We are all crammed in that place together and when you shoot looks you prove nothing and you just make either the wife or the kids flustered. If you see me with my Subject 2009 shirt and a stroller with four kids (my two kids and my two nieces), make sure to come say hello though. :D

I think they look like fools (a little goes a long way), so I barely give them a passing glance. However, last year I was looking at a wall vendor near them with my niece and they were going out of their way to make alot of noise and pull people into their little hut.

I don't blame you in that case.

Dude, I'm gettng Frickin' excited for the motherluvin' show. Last year popped my cherry, have a whole new outlook now. Can't wait. Only 3 days away.

Dude, I'm gettng Frickin' excited for the motherluvin' show. Last year popped my cherry, have a whole new outlook now. Can't wait. Only 3 days away.

I am soooo drunk tonight. Tonight is nothing. I am going to do backflips off of P!tus head yo! :lol

they didn't even mention using deoderant or chewing gum or any other thing that helps to improve your general smell. I can't stree enough the importance of not stinking......

This is what happened to a few people last year:
facemelt.gif

hilarious!!!! i wish i could go, but no spare cash yet (still not working) next year for sure.

This is my 5th year, but I seem to be more excited this year than ever before! :banana In year's past (I lived in CA) I drove down each day; it will be great just walking back to where I am staying. :duff :chug :drink

All I'm worried about is having to stand in line with a bunch of guys/girls who camp out in front of the CON and don't shower for days. A bunch of nalgas apestosos...petho y pescado with golden sleep rocks around their eyes. That's surviving in itself. Once were in the actual building I'll just swat them away since I'm a big man.

Another good thing is SDCC is in my hometown so it'll be nice to sleep in my own bed instead of sharing a room with a bunch of dudes at a hotel. You get a bunch of guys sharing the same room and they like to mess around and play jokes on each other like breaking down the bathroom door and take a picture of their friend showering/pissing and post it on the internet or other crazy perverted stuff with the camera on their pathetic drunk passed out friend. Luckily I've always been a heavyweight drinker so I never been in that position. Even so when I go on vacation with friends I always pay extra and get my own room. Once I'm in my hotel room I just want to relax, sleep and be at peace and not have to worry about some idiot breaking down the bathroom door and taking a picture of my sexy body.

Back