Star Wars marathons

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

D. Martin

Super Freak
Reaction score
I'm watching TESB right now. Vader just entered the Hoth Rebel base and 3PO is chasing after Han and Leia. I've been watching the Saga in order for the last few nights, and as I approach the end of this 12 hour adventure, I beginning to wonder who else sits back and watches the films in chronological order from time to time. Of course, I'm very much in the PT+OT=SW school of thought, and I accept (grudgingly) that not everyone is the same.

At any rate, the questions are:

-How often do you watch them from beginning to end? (please, lets not get into a 4,5,6,1,2,3 Vs. 1,2,3,4,5,6 debate --the question refers to 1,2,3,4,5,6.)

-Do you feel differently (positive or negative) about the Saga as a whole, opposed to the period between 1999 and 2005 when we didn;t have a complete 6 episode Saga?

-Do you have trouble accepting (suspending disbelief) when you see Obi-Wan switch actors?

-Do you see character motivations differently now that you've seen the entire Saga?

---oh, Luke is just crash landing on Dagobah--- I gotta go!

I dunno...once or twice a year I'll do a whole marathon...

No problems with the Obi Wan situation either...

I didn't like not having a whole saga...

I don't. But I love the story easily enough to do that every week. But I work 11 hours a day mon-fri and 9 on sat. So my free time is dedicated to my family. Most of my posting here is done before I start my shift. Pretty much the only free time I have is coming to work a little early to check in with you guys.

Oh every couple of months or so I sit back and watch all 6 in order kind of like I do with the LOTR EE films. 4 me personally it just makes it all flow better and you get a very cool emotional feel from watching them that way. Its actually hard for me to just watch one without wanting to watch the next one.

Like you I'm a PT+OT=SW so I have no issues on it what so ever. Seeing Obi-Wan switch is no issue either and actually I think the job done by Ewan is so seamless into the OT its easy to accept because of that. I also think seeing the PT gives great life and meaning to the actions of the characters in the OT.

I use to do the marathon thing (1 - 6) once a year in May. But life has gotten to busy and I haven't done it since 2006. But I do watch 4-6 differently after having seen 1-3. The scene in ep4 when Luke is at Ben's little house talking-that whole scene is nuanced completely different now for me (in a good way). I don't find the change in actors or in focus (plot focused to character focused) to be too distracting.

In the end, I enjoy 4-6 more because 1-3 exists.

Have never one it on my own. I love the films and have watched them so many times that I usually will skip around the DVD while watching. I do watch them occassionally when channels like SPIKE do a marathon over 6 nights but never in a row.....

i have to say, i enjoy the SW galaxy as a whole more now than i did before. I agree that some niggling points could be changed, such as the duration of the clone wars, but as an overall story, i think lucas succeded. the only part in the prequel trilogy i felt let down by is the acting, since as it has often pointed out, the lines sometimes come across as wooden and needlessly expositionary. I still think that ROTS is tied with the original SW for my 2nd fav. film. I think that Obi-Wan was great no matter who was playing him, and the manipulations of Sidious were truly wonderous to behold, even better IMO with EU exposition in the Clone Wars comics. I still dunno how i am going to show the saga to my kids, 4,5,6 then 1,2,3 like i saw, or straight through, letting them make their own decisions. But yea, for me, PT+OT+EU :)p)=SW

I never have sat through them all in one sitting and probably never will....that's 9-10 hours, yikes! my buddy did it and I went over his house half-way through Jedi and he looked totally drained. I do watch them individually though a good bit.

I have never done 1-6 in a row. I have watched the OT like that though once or twice.

Every few months i watch all 6 in chronological order, including the Star Wars Clone Wars series. The only thing i don't really like is the Anakin/Padme scenes. They are about as annoying and corny as the Peter Parker/ MJ scenes in the Spidey movies:emperor

Every few months i watch all 6 in chronological order, including the Star Wars Clone Wars series. The only thing i don't really like is the Anakin/Padme scenes. They are about as annoying and corny as the Peter Parker/ MJ scenes in the Spidey movies:emperor

no kidding, i wish those scenes were more like the Han/Leia love scenes/romance...they were short and sweet yet we felt the attaction, etc. I know they were different personalities than Anakin/Padme but still.

I only watch the OT scenes where Darth Vader is in, the rest of the movies blow ...

:vader:vader:vader

:rock:rock:rock

I watched 4 5 6, the original theatrical versions, a while back.
Then, just for fun, I put in the latest Lucas version of Return of the Jedi, speeder bike scene and I was blown away by the sound and the quality of the film. Sure he raped them, but I enjoyed it

I started to watch 1, 2 3 and I'm gonna finish (I hope this weekend) with 4, 5 and 6

I can't sit for 12 hours watching Star Wars. My butt will hurt on those crappy chairs :D

I actually did that a month or so ago... it was nice seeing all of the films in the chronological order. I'm still don't like the PT as much as the OT, but I do believe that they add something to the overall series.

Although the other thing is this was the first time I watched the most recent versions of the SE, and while they in general bother me watching all the films together made it flow pretty well. The only thing I really still can't stand and I think hurts any of the films immensley is the Jedi Rocks song... that really needs to be destroyed.

i usually dont. i just pop in one that i suddenly have the urge to watch. i watched ROTJ a few weeks ago. and i think i watched ROTS a few weeks before that when SS unvieled the anakin PF. i did watch the entire OOT in one sitting once a loooooong time ago before the PT was even a blip on the radar. i think i was a teenager at the time and i just broke up with my HS sweetie and i was depressed and i didnt go out to party for like a month or so. i just sat at home and watched movies a lot.

I watch the OT in order sometimes - and I think I watched all 6 when ROTS came out, but generally I start with ROTJ (imo it's the easiest to watch) then ESB then ANH usually in seperate weekends

- I like the PT but it just doesn't have the effect the OT did, as the OT made me ask all those questions, Vader's origin, The clone wars etc and my imagination ran wild. Where the PT answered those questions and more then a few I didn't like the answer I got :monkey3 But in general the Obi Wan (actor) issue didn't bother me it would have if the actor changed from say EP2 to EP3, but there is a big enough time inbetween Ep3 & EP4 and Ewan did such a great job at including some Alec Guiness gestures that it is fully believable to me.

Once again the Anakin/Padme thing didn't sit well with me probably cause it seemed rushed throughout the films when compared to Han/Leia story arc which seemed a lot more realistic. Don't get me wrong I like the PT but overall I think in my mind knowing the full story has reduced it's power overall:monkey3

I don't want to derail the thread (which this far has remained fairly positive) so I will limit my comments to Ewan's performances.

For the most part I find him to be the strongest component of the PT - much more so than McDiarmid; well all except for the first 20 or so minutes of ROTS. He seemed annoyed, and like much of the Jedi in ROTS deeply petty and removed from any audience sympathy - but then maybe that was Lucas' way of getting us to have some feeling for Anakin.

-How often do you watch them from beginning to end? (please, lets not get into a 4,5,6,1,2,3 Vs. 1,2,3,4,5,6 debate --the question refers to 1,2,3,4,5,6.)

No nearly enough (I honestly can't say I have yet and that's not for a lack of trying) !

-Do you feel differently (positive or negative) about the Saga as a whole, opposed to the period between 1999 and 2005 when we didn;t have a complete 6 episode Saga?

Positive, it's all Star Wars to me PT, OT are one and the same saga.

-Do you have trouble accepting (suspending disbelief) when you see Obi-Wan switch actors?

No, I actually prefer Ewan's obi-wan and I understand he must have studied Alec's mannerisms to nail Obi from the OT, but I think he did a better job at being Obi-Wan than Guinness did , if that makes any sense let's say I wouldn't be against a new special special edition with Ewan playing Obi-Wan all through out... :monkey1

-Do you see character motivations differently now that you've seen the entire Saga?

Of course, a lot scenes have more meaning in the OT thanks to the PT events.

I can only do 1,2,3 and 4,5,6 per seating each.

I feel positive about it, sure. Thou the Prequel is the weakest between the two.

Ewan does an exellent job so no problem with me there.

No changes to me. Still the same.

I usually watch the entire saga from Ep I to Ep VI once a year... I love how it all ties together. Really, the only hard one to watch for me is Episode 1. Even II has it's flaws, but thankfully... I can seem to handle it pretty good before settling down for III.

But never in one sitting... I spread it out over a week.

I really love watching them all in order now, have been wanting to do that since I heard about a possible prequel trilogy. Now to be able to do it... pretty damn cool IMO. And Obi Wan resonates with me more now.... Ewan and Alec together have merged in my mind. :lol

Back