1/6 company of the year poll!

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Who rules in the 1/6 movie franchise world?

• Sideshow Toys! All bow to the mighty Sideshow!

Votes: 38 43.2%
  • Hot Toys! Doesn't get any hotter than this.

Votes: 28 31.8%
  • Medicom. It's the Medi way or the highway!

Votes: 11 12.5%
  • Are you kidding? All of them!

Votes: 11 12.5%

• Total voters

abake

Rex Tremendae Majestatis
Reaction score
Alright, the end of the year is nigh, and it's been one great year for toys collectors in general and especially for 1/6 figures collectors.
We have been treated to an amazing quantity of figures (with a never before seen level of detail and quality) from all kinds of franchises and movies, both old and brand spanking new.
Just think about it for a minute.
You can actually own action figures (most, if not all, almost museum quality pieces) from such cool movie franchises as Alien, Terminator, Spiderman, Lord of the Rings, Batman, Pirates of the Caribbean, Star Wars, Robocop, Superman. You can even own Sex Pistols figures. Samurai figures. Anime. The list is quite nearly never ending.

So I thought it was time to make a poll to gauge the acceptance the three major manufacturers of 1/6 action figures from movie licenses have.
I'll post this poll in different boards to try and make it more "representative".

The three contenders are:
- Sideshow Toys.
What can I say? Star Wars, Lord of the Rings, Terminator (Ah-nuld and Sarah ferchissakes!), Zombies, Buffy, 007, Planet of the Apes, Hellboy, Highlander, Freddy and Jason... whew!
Yes yes, we know, the body isn't all that great, there's some issues with paint apps, but c'mon!! These guys have brought a level of quality unheard of to the masses who were used to Hasbro and the like to fix their craving for movie characters in 1/6 scale.

- Hot Toys.
The eighties were the golden era of sci-fi in movies: Aliens, Robocop, Terminator, Predator. And Hot Toys are the Kings of 80's sci-fi action figures!
Colonial Marines? Check. ED209? Check. Preds? Check. (yeah, I know, they're from AvP, but they're preds dammit!) And all with insane detail and accesories to fill a crate! To heap awesomness upon awesomness, HT even researches and produces different body types according to the figures (check out those muscles on Clubber Lang, or the alien's inner articulation). But that's not all, Hot Toys also has it's foot firmly set in the Superhero department with Batman Begins and Superman Returns. Want more? How about Rocky? Check. Rambo? Check.
So likeness is not that great some of the time, but have you seen the list of franchises?!

- Medicom
Ahh, that japanese style and quality...
So they're a bit smaller than SST or HT, but does it really matter when you have Darth freaking Vader flanked by Stormtroopers?
Spiderman in all his versions, Carnage, Venom, Wolverine from X3, Wolverine from the comics, your very own Jack Sparrow, Rei Ayanami, Ghost Rider.... all in amazing costume and detail, savvy?
So you say you don't like the look of the Medi Luke, but who else will give you a chance to own Sid Vicious and Johnny Rotten? And what other body type would let you put them in all those contorted and twisted poses on stage?

So cast your vote gentlemen (and ladies, if there be any).

Well, that's why it's a poll...
So everybody can vote.
Some might just as well answer "are you joking? Hot Toys made ED freaking 209!"...

I voted for all of them. They all put out pretty incredible product this year.:chew :chew :chew

pixletwin said:
I voted for all of them. They all put out pretty incredible product this year.:chew :chew :chew

Agreed. SS licenses for SW and LOTR are AMAZING! Kit Fisto and Obi-Wan are my two fave's so far, but I can't WAIT for Maul and Jabba! Hot Toys Aliens Marines, Robocop and ED-209 are INSANELY awesome...Don't have any Predators or Aliens yet...waiting for Predator from the first film and Aliens from 1 and 2...but the one's they've made from AVP look INCREDIBLE. Can't wait for the Terminator endoskeleton now too! And Medicom...Their RAH Jack Sparrow and RAH X3 Wolverine are 2 of my fave figures of the year...So they're ALL great in my books too! :D

Buttmunch said:
You are joking right? Sideshow is making Jabba the freaking Hutt! That is enough evidence in my book they are the best.

I agree. I know big shock huh? :lol SS has really put out some major hits this year and even the items some may not have considered so are pretty damn strong.

To me it's:

1) Sideshow
2) Medicom
3) Hot Toys

SS makes all the Star Wars and LoTR which I love. Medicom makes all the Marvel 12" that I love. If all three were around the same price, Sideshow might lose the top spot. BUT, they aren't the same price, so SS #1.

I went with Sideshow, I think that they still have the best variety of products. Hot Toys is a close second, not so much for numbers... but the quality and speed at which they are producing and picking up licenses.

Small update.

I posted this in three other forums, and it's (up until now) a head to head battle between SST and HT, with each winning in two forums.
Of course, voting is still a bit slow, but we'll se how it goes.

Hot Toys wins my vote !

Robocop, ED209, Predator, Alien warrior, Alien marines, Terminator, Superman, Batman....plus 2 brand new bodys (regular and muscular body). ~ Enough said :clap

It's all completely subjective so a poll like this is kind of useless. HT has some wonderfully detailed non-traditional figures such as Robocop, Alien, Predators.

SSC has the licenses - SW, LotR.

Medicom would probably get my vote for most improved, just looking at Wolverine and Sparrow, they are light years beyond the Luke or the marvel comic book figures. Although the smaller scale is bothersome.

But which company you prefer depends completely on which license, type of figure, scale, etc. that you prefer.

Darklord Dave said:
It's all completely subjective so a poll like this is kind of useless. HT has some wonderfully detailed non-traditional figures such as Robocop, Alien, Predators.

SSC has the licenses - SW, LotR.

Medicom would probably get my vote for most improved, just looking at Wolverine and Sparrow, they are light years beyond the Luke or the marvel comic book figures. Although the smaller scale is bothersome.

But which company you prefer depends completely on which license, type of figure, scale, etc. that you prefer.

Of course it's subjective... how else could it be if the idea is to vote for what you like best?:D

As far as overall breadth of product, you have to go with SSC, Statues, busts, prop reps, 1/4 and 1/6 scale figs, etc.

As for innovation, boldness,engineering and superior base bodies for sixth scale figs I have to give a huuuge shout out to HT, they are making dreams come true for many of us...

Medicom has done some really great stuff and are the best at detailing and tailoring outfits but until they make full 12" tall figs to scale with the rest of the world's growing collection, they will lag behind the others IMHO.

Last edited:
voted for all since they all have made me a happy camper this year! tho i think Takara is up there too. they don't crank out as much but when they do...wow.

Back