Hello from UK

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jimbits76

Freaked Out
Reaction score
Hi guys

My name is Jim, I'm from East Anglia UK.

I am pretty new to the world of 1/6 figures however; I have long been a collector of comic books and comic art.

My introduction to the world of 1/6 figures was mainly through my son. My little boy loves Iron Man and back in 2012 when he was 4 years old we discoved he has a Pilocytic Astrocytoma brain tumour in an inoperable position. During his treatments he had seen me on various collectors websites and had always taken a huge interest in the Hot Toys Iron Man figures....we would never have spent that kind of money on a collectable figure for a child so we used to tell him they were special toys for grown ups.

That Christmas as a throwaway gesture I applied to Sideshow for a Christmas wish on his behalf and to my surprise Sideshow granted it with a Iron Man MKII Armour Unleashed figure which incredibly was his favourite suit (he called it the War Machine suit without the guns). We had already purchased him a Kotobukiya Iron Man Avengers statue so his Christmas that year was covered regarding all things Iron Man. Both sit in the Detolf in the dining room and are his pride and joy.

His father meanwhile had now caught the bug. On the night in February 2012 when we discovered he had his tumour and we were sat in the hospital I had sent a few messages out regarding the news and how heartbroken we were. In the small hours of the morning I received an image to my phone and a quote from a friend in America. The Image was an Alex Ross image of Superman and the quote was from Christopher Reeve concerning hope. During his treatment my son received a painting from the young daughter of another friend in America, the painting was a image of Superman and it was signed by the little girl; her name Hope.

Superman became something of an icon during his treatment and continues to be so. I ordered the Hot Toys Reeve figure (something I had wanted since it's release but couldn't justify the expense) and since I have purchased the Hot Toys Superman III along with preordering the Hot Toys Man of Steel figure, the Sideshow Comic Superman PF and I'm awaiting the preorder for the Sideshow DC 1/6 Superman.

There are a bunch of figures released by Sideshow and Hot Toys I would love but I'm sticking with Supes (I may have to preorder the Sideshow Reeve PF) although I do have the 60's Batman & Robin on order simply because they were such a huge part of my growing up.

I'm sure as things go on our Superman and Iron Man collection will continue to swell...

Jim

Welcome mate! Its hard not to stop ordering :) We really are in a golden age regards 1/6 so enjoy it to the full

:welcome1: to the board! :wave Nice to see another Brit on here...

...and watch those Hot Toys figures...they will become VERY addicting!! :lol

Is your son ok now? I guess the collecting thing was maybe a way for you to get away from some of the crud things that happen in life. I had my 4 year old nephew over a couple of weeks ago and when he saw my collection he was blown away, He said ''do they come alive at night '' :lol I guess because they look so real :dunno

Anyway :welcome1:to the board.

Thanks all. I had meant to reply yesterday but the MB thing blew up and I lost money on an order for the Sideshow Classic Spider-man (Spidey and the X-Men were always my faves).

My son is well thanks. He is currently going through his second bout of Chemotherapy. He is doing okay now after the initial shock to his system.

The collecting bug does bite hard. We would have an army of Iron Man suits if I could afford it.

I'm trying to limit myself to Superman (and Batman of Robin). I came so close to ordering the Luke, Han and Taun Taun because I've dreamt of having a perfect representation since I were but a small fanboy (Empire is my joint fave movie with Bladerunner) but the cost and size of them is a little prohibitive.

I also know it would open the floodgates on more figures and what with my home full of IDW artist editions, Marvel Masterworks and Omniboo and Mondo posters still in tubes etc, I'd just have no room for them.

Saying that I've still no idea where I'll put the Hot Toys 60's Batmobile when it's released...

Thanks for sharing. Best wishes!

It is wonderful to see how our favorite icons, real or fictional, can give us humans something more to cling to. Something that has a certain personal meaning, be it nostalgic or motivational. That's the point of it all.

Welcome, my friend.

Back