Watch collector intrigued by Hot Toys

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ryno

Super Freak
Reaction score
Hey everyone. My name is Ryan, I also go by Ryno. I am a big member of the watch community, as a collector. I do reviews and photography of watches on my blog (rynomatic.com). I would consider my number one hobby watches, but I am now very intrigued by Hot Toys.

Back in the day, when I was about 13 years old or so, I used to collect McFarlane figurines. The figure collecting didn't last too long, and I lost interest as the quality of McFarlane toys (particularly Sports Picks) dropped.

I've also always strongly admired comic characters such as X-Men, Iron Man, Batman, etc.

Fast forward to a few weeks ago (I a now 26), I stumbled upon an article showcasing a Bane & Batman WATCH, done by a brand called Diesel (I am sure many of you are familiar with this brand). The article praised the watches, but the writer mentioned that for the money, they'd rather have the new Bane Hot Toy. I didn't know what this meant, so I searched it, and this is how I found out about Hot Toys. I quickly began looking at pictures of them, old and new, and was just blown away by the detail.

I have yet to purchase a Hot Toy, but am hoping to get one soon. I have some nice shelves ready to hold 4-6 of them.

My question to all of you: What is a good entry level Hot Toy? I'd like a good bang for the buck, preferably under $200, with good potential resale value down the road (not looking to make a big buck as an investment per se, but one that should hold strong and perhaps go up a bit over time). I am open to most anything trendy, some of the stuff like Bruce Lee and Resident Evil don't really do anything for me, but I am open to pretty much anything else really.

Thank you for reading and I look forward to shooting and sharing pictures of my first Hot Toy in the near future! Hey, maybe I can eventually do some reviews down the road, as I have done with watches!

-Ryno :wave

Last edited:
wavesmile.gif
:welcome1: to the :FREAK: Show, Ryan! :duff
wavesmile.gif

You can go for the Red Skull, Babydoll, Thor or Catwoman 1/6th figures for under $200. :D

Ryno, I'd make a suggestion to you...

Don't buy a figure you don't feel strongly about. Instead buy the figure that means something to you. Regardless of price. What good is a red skull figure if you dont like marvel movies, or with out the companion Captain America.

My reccomendation??? Go on sideshowtoy.com and find a DX Hot Toy figure that you like... be it the T-800, or the Joker or Batman or Luke Skywalker... something ICONIC that can exist on its own that you enjoy and have reverence for the source material. That way you are gauranteed to maximize your enjoyment and because the figure is iconic the value will remain preserved.

The Christopher Reeve Superman can be found for ~200 give or take a few bucks. It's really well done, a must have.

Also I agree with buying stuff that means something to you. You probably wouldn't buy a watch that didn't make you say 'wow'. Same criteria.

Thank you so much for the warm welcome and the great input. I do like the idea of simply browsing and getting something that sings to me! Terminator 2 is one of my favorite movies of all time so that might be something I consider. Also, Wolverine is my favorite Marvel character, so I've been kicking those two around a bit.

Welcome! :wave

Ryno, I'd make a suggestion to you...

Don't buy a figure you don't feel strongly about. Instead buy the figure that means something to you. Regardless of price. What good is a red skull figure if you dont like marvel movies, or with out the companion Captain America.

My reccomendation??? Go on sideshowtoy.com and find a DX Hot Toy figure that you like... be it the T-800, or the Joker or Batman or Luke Skywalker... something ICONIC that can exist on its own that you enjoy and have reverence for the source material. That way you are gauranteed to maximize your enjoyment and because the figure is iconic the value will remain preserved.

Good advice.

I started of with an Iron man mark iii figure. I now own almost 30 HT figures. So first I would definatley make sure you are ready to plunge your self into this hobby b/c most collectors are addicted after the first one. Don't get me wrong though this is a rewarding hobby, and always has been for me (it def. won't help you get a date anytime soon though in all likelyhood). I think the iron man line is a good place to start though, they are among there best made figures and there are so many of them I can almost gaurantee you will find one in your price range. Plus for the most part the iron man figures appraise pretty well.

Oh,I guess posts in the introduction forum don't count towards post totals? I just made a post in the Marvel forum in regards to the Hawkeye figure and I now have 1 post.

Thank you so much for the warm welcome and the great input. I do like the idea of simply browsing and getting something that sings to me! Terminator 2 is one of my favorite movies of all time so that might be something I consider. Also, Wolverine is my favorite Marvel character, so I've been kicking those two around a bit.

Wake said it best, don't get sucked into buying what's "in" right now, choose figures that you know you'll like for the connection to the characters.

Both of those are fine choices.

P.S :welcome1:

i would start with the batman and joker 89 versions a full line and they do go very well together

Funny you say that surfin4, I just picked up the 1989 Joker from here. I was debating between Iron Man Mark VI Avengers and 1989 Batman but went with Iron Man. I am a huge Iron Man fan and the deal was too good to pass up. Hope to grab Keaton to go with Nicholson later down the road.

Ali, I have a pic of my current watch collection (it's widdled down to 5 or 6 pieces at the moment), but it's on my other PC. I will post tomorrow. Here's a pic of one that I love though, the stealth Imperious Man of War:

mowstealth1.jpg

Here's a pic of another one I own and love, the Benarus Sea Snake:

DSC01147.jpg

I really like the Benarus watch. (I'm a huge watch fan myself. my baby is my Corum Romulus).

Be careful with hot toys....it can lead to a terrible addiction haha. When it comes to pure quality, check out the Sweeney Todd. One of the (in my opinion) most under rated figures and you can sometimes find it for around 150. The Captain Jack Sparrow is another that is just beautiful. Looks great right outta the box with no adjustments. Remember to collect what you like.

Welcome ryno! Fan of watches, you say?

6.jpg

I think there are three figures out there right now that are terrific values as far as Hot Toys figures go: 1) Reeve Superman; 2) DX Jack Sparrow; 3) T1 T-800 Terminator. #3 is my personal favorite, and can be purchased for around what he originally went for.

Problem with the first two of those is that they were produced out the wazoo, so I wouldn't bank on their appreciating all that much (though both have potential), but really, if you wanna get a figure to start out with a bang that you can really enjoy, I say go with one of those.

Funny you say that surfin4, I just picked up the 1989 Joker from here. I was debating between Iron Man Mark VI Avengers and 1989 Batman but went with Iron Man. I am a huge Iron Man fan and the deal was too good to pass up. Hope to grab Keaton to go with Nicholson later down the road.

Ali, I have a pic of my current watch collection (it's widdled down to 5 or 6 pieces at the moment), but it's on my other PC. I will post tomorrow. Here's a pic of one that I love though, the stealth Imperious Man of War:

mowstealth1.jpg

Here's a pic of another one I own and love, the Benarus Sea Snake:

DSC01147.jpg

Congrats just finally picked up the joker my self last week a real piece of eye candy:wave

Back