Mad Old Lu's Modest Collection (UPDATE: HT Wolverine on pg 6)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mad Old Lu

Super Freak
Reaction score
I'm finally getting around to making a thread of my figures. I've got Boba Fett coming this week, and since there's no room for him right now, I thought I'd take the opportunity to trim the fat as it were. My wife jokes that I must be breaking numerous fire code violations because of the high occupancy on my shelves! Therefore, I thought I would document the state of my collection at this point before I put some things away for a while.

I have always collected action figures ever since I was a young lad growing up in the 70s. Steve Austin, the Six Million Dollar Man was possibly one of my first action figures, but certainly my first 12" figure. I loved that figure, but alas was lost to time. I eventually got him back in the early years of Ebay, though, and I really hope some toy company will create a new, high end modern version.

But collecting Sideshow and Hot Toys figures didn't start till early 2008, when I saw a web ad for Sideshow's newly announced 1:6 Indiana Jones. Raiders is quite possibly my favorite movie of all time, even above SW, and I had always wanted a great representation of the figure. I remember when I was a kid and Raiders had come out seeing a small ad to mail away for the 12" figure in Starlog magazine. Sadly I never was able to get it. So here was an opportunity to finally get my perfect Indiana Jones figure! I was very impressed my the level of detail and craftsmanship in the prototype photos. But $90? Ouch! My wife stepped in and offered to get him for me for my birthday in December (which is close to when he was scheduled to ship). She didn't know what she was getting herself into…

Well, after that order was placed, I started looking around the Sideshow site. And lo and behold, they do Star Wars figures too! And doesn't ANH Han look awesome! What's that? Only $65? Why that's an even better deal than Indy! ANH Han ended up being my very first Sideshow figure when he finally shipped in August that year, and I was blown away by the amazing details and poseability of the figure. Then I found Leia as Boushh on Ebay for a bargain, so she was next. Then Maul, then Anakin, and so on. I got 11 figures by the end of that first year. The total stands at 35, 36 if you count the Indy in Arab disguise.

This is my collection in early December '08, about 10 months after I discovered Sideshow.
IMG_6926.JPG

IMG_6996.JPG

Then after I got a nice Ikea cabinet.

IMG_7480.JPG

Then added a few more figures.

IMG_7645.JPG

Then after I added a vitrine for my desk top

IMG_0625.JPG

And this is how is looks today, with a display shelf my wife got me for Christmas this past year to feature key figures.

IMG_6792.JPG

Last edited:
Re: Mad Old Lu's Modest Collection

Indy, with Go Hero Buck Rogers and FA Captain America.

IMG_6755.JPG

My Iron Men.

IMG_6756.JPG

Alien in the vitrine.

IMG_6757.JPG

Vader, a stormy and a sandy top off the cabinet.

IMG_6775.JPG

ANH SW on the top inside shelf.

IMG_6760.JPG

An overcrowded Indy shelf.

IMG_6762.JPG

Newly modified Indy shelf. Felt like changing Sideshow Indy's outfit to make him a little different than the HT and KOTCS figures.

IMG_6785.JPG

An intrepidity of Indys.

IMG_6720.JPG

MIscellaneous SW figures. I foresee some of these guys going into storage.

IMG_6766.JPG

And some other miscellaneous figures.

IMG_6769.JPG

I've been very choosy and selective about the figures I've bought, both because of space and because of money (and the rising cost of these figures). I've only gotten rid of two figures: Hot Toys Deunan Knute, and Sideshow's Lara Croft. I had initially gotten Deunan because I was curious about Hot Toys quality and just because she looked so cool. She taught me a major lesson about choosing figures: only buy what you are emotionally invested in. And with Lara, it was kind of the same thing but to a lesser extent. I was happy with her for a good while, but eventually I looked at the larger picture of my collection and decided she didn't really fit in. My friend expressed interest in the figure so I gave it to him for his birthday.

So that's my story so far! I'm going to try and keep my collection concise and focused, and only get what I absolutely love.

Last edited:

LOVE the Alien display. It's like a giant ornament, actually.

Awesome collection, Lu! I enjoyed reading your bit of back-story about how you got into 1/6 as well :)

Are those Hallmark ornaments mixed in?

Hey! Great to finally see your collection, Lu! What day does Boba come for you?

Great to finally see your collection :duff

LOVE the Alien display. It's like a giant ornament, actually.

Awesome collection, Lu! I enjoyed reading your bit of back-story about how you got into 1/6 as well :)

Thanks a lot, fellas! :duff

Plasticcrapmoneywaster, yep, those are Hallmark ornaments. My wife and in-laws like to give me at least one each Christmas. They're small enough to scatter in with the big boys since they're not allowed on the tree.

And Flosi, Boba's coming Thursday!

Great Pieces in a Great Collection, Never seen the Old Buck Rogers before and that is a Cool looking cabinet that the Alien is in

Great collection!!!

It's so nice to see SS Goldenye Bond getting some love!!:lecture

I still have mine on display. I wish I could repaint his head plus some clothing upgrade and I would get a killer figure!

Thanks for the kind words, guys.

Cplhicks, GoldenEye is my favorite Bond movie (and Pierce my favorite Bond), so I had to get him. I was lucky to get him on sale for about $20, so I couldn't pass him up. I did upgrade his body though, to a TTL. Made a huge difference.

Very cool collection! I like the smaller figures next to the 1:6 ones, they add up to the display!

Waouw very nice collection.
I really like your indy's stuffs

Great collection Lu and really enjoyed the anecdotes too.

Back