just a post

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ironman1188

SO BE IT
Reaction score
of observations. I know Star Wars is just a movie series and one shouldn't get so worked up, but, I'm a continuity freak of sorts. My son decided he wanted to watch all 6 films over the last week and, well, who was I to argue? But I found so many descrepancies thru the series that just shouldn't have been there. Most glaring in error to me was having watched Amidala die in childbirth only to have Leia say she died when she was very young. Granted, just having been born is very young but,..... :confused:
And I watched R2D2 fly all over in ep I, II & III but not a sign of flight in IV, V or VI..... :confused:
And I watched young [?] Yoda jump all around in battle, as did Dooku, Kenobi and so many other Jedi, but when Vader throws the Emperor over the railing in ROTJ, that most powerful Darklord couldn't "fly" back up....:confused:
Anyway, sorry for the rant, but I just got curious if anyone else found any gaping holes in continuity?
Still love the series and the figures though. :monkey3

Just born is very young. Or since Leia is a woman, she could be wrong.

R2D2 could have been repaired, or remodeled in the 20 years time. I've seen lots of hot rod cars get put back to stock shape or changed.

Jedi's can't fly, they jump. And Emperor didnt jump, he was thrown down a shaft.

Ironman1188 said:
Most glaring in error to me was having watched Amidala die in childbirth only to have Leia say she died when she was very young. Granted, just having been born is very young but,..... :confused:
I always assumed Leia's rememberances of her mother were from force impressions, since Leia is force-sensative.
Ironman1188 said:
And I watched R2D2 fly all over in ep I, II & III but not a sign of flight in IV, V or VI..... :confused:
I have a microwave that used tell me how much time I had to cook food... now after 5 years, its garbled and looks like chinese. Wear and tear.
Ironman1188 said:
And I watched young [?] Yoda jump all around in battle, as did Dooku, Kenobi and so many other Jedi, but when Vader throws the Emperor over the railing in ROTJ, that most powerful Darklord couldn't "fly" back up....:confused:
I think a fall of a couple hundred feet pales in comparison to a fall to what is essentially a planet core... Besides I always had the somewhat comical view that the Emperor did land on his feet right next to the reactor and laughed because he couldn't be done in so easily and was rearing to force jump back up, when in flies Lando and Wedge, blowing the reactor to pieces and flying out leaving Incinerated Palpatine Ashes behind.

Hope I have restored your faith in SW... :lol

remember Leia was also "force" sensitive so i always took it for granted thats how she remembered her mother in some way.

R2 was tricked out by anakin, so it would make sense that his new owner would take out all the modifications that he no longer needed. which also explains the memory wipe.

and yes the force can help do amazing stunts-- acrobatics, super jumps, break falls, etc. but it cant make you "fly" at least not in any of the movies or books so far.

I have a question... In which order should you watch the films?

In the order they came out, Or the way they should be?

Allways when I'm thinkig of watching them again I ask the question to myself. But haven't come up with an good answer...

Anyone?

watch them the way they should be. i still watch them IV-VI then I-III without really thinking about it.

~~dont forget about the clone wars cartoons!!! they are canon so should be watched in between episodes II and III :chew :chew

I started with Phantom Menace and ended with Return of the Jedi. seemed to be the way to do it to me. Never thought I'd miss that silly Ewok song though.

I, II, III, IV, V, VI

I don't see why you would do it any other way... I remember some guy in another forum suggest IV, I, II, V, III, VI which would be interesting maybe in that it sort of builds up the dramatic tension in a different way.

One thing that bugs me is Obi-Wan telling Luke that his father wanted him to have his lightsaber when he was old enough. That was just a flat out lie. I know that Obi-Wan twists the truth "from a certain point of view" and even Yoda admits that Anakin is dead and Vader has taken his place, so the line about Vader killing Anakin is true from a certain point of view.

But we saw in ROTS that Anakin never told Obi-Wan any such thing about his son inheriting his lightsaber. In fact, during the short amount of time that Anakin knew he was having a son and until his final conversation with Obi-Wan before his departure to Utapau, he never even hpothetically said, "You know master, even though I am a single man and Jedi are forbidden by the code to love and certainly never to marry or have children of their own, just in case I ever break my vows and get expelled from the order yet still manage to have my lightsaber, I am going to give it to my son if I ever have one." By the time Obi-Wan discovers the truth about Anakin and Padme and their pregnancy, Anakin has turned and there are no more conversations to be had. So it seems like too much of a stretch for Obi-Wan to be telling Luke about the whole inheritance thing.

My theory is that George Lucas didn't originally envision the Jedi as celibate, and back in '77 it seemed appropriate for Jedi to be talking about their offspring. Then he invented the "forbidden love" concept when prequel time came around. The concept of Anakin talking about his kids with Obi-Wan pre-Dark Side became an impossibility.

Calle_Sandell said:
I have a question... In which order should you watch the films?

In the order they came out, Or the way they should be?

Allways when I'm thinkig of watching them again I ask the question to myself. But haven't come up with an good answer...

Anyone?

If you've never seen them and don't know that Vader is Luke's father, 4-6 need to be first. There's no moment in cinema better than that revelation.

I actually watched the whole saga this weekend (including Clone Wars, Ep. 2.5 as far as I'm concerned) and many of these same questions.

didnt he say "your father would've wanted you to have this when you were old enough"?? i know anakin never said it, but when he was still sane it's partially true. who wouldnt want their offspring to have a cool lightsaber to chase the bullies around school with???:emperor

tomandshell said:
One thing that bugs me is Obi-Wan telling Luke that his father wanted him to have his lightsaber when he was old enough. That was just a flat out lie. I know that Obi-Wan twists the truth "from a certain point of view" and even Yoda admits that Anakin is dead and Vader has taken his place, so the line about Vader killing Anakin is true from a certain point of view.

Think of it as Obi being a car salesman and feeding Luke a bit so he would want to help him.

The whole saga should clue you in that Obi is a clever cat.

Darth Loki said:
If you've never seen them and don't know that Vader is Luke's father, 4-6 need to be first. There's no moment in cinema better than that revelation.

That was the justification behind his ordering of IV, I, II, V, III, VI. You watch the first 3 not knowing that Anakin will be vader, then you watch V but you think Vader might be lying to Luke, then you watch III to see how it happened, topping it off with VI to resolve.

EVILFACE said:
Think of it as Obi being a car salesman and feeding Luke a bit so he would want to help him.

The whole saga should clue you in that Obi is a clever cat.

dont forget that he did earn his nickname "the negotiator" in the clone wars from careful manipulation of words. :D

"One thing that bugs me is Obi-Wan telling Luke that his father wanted him to have his lightsaber when he was old enough. That was just a flat out lie. "

Yes, it's a lie. What should he have said? "I had this old thing laying around...want it?":lol

Or, "You dad turned to evil and I chopped his legs and arm off and took this from him.....want it?":lol

He said what he had to and brought in Anakin's name to draw Luke in. As for Lucas coming up with "forbiden love" later, you're probably right, but I still think Obi-Wan's "lie" fits into the story just fine because there really wasn't anything else he could say to Luke about the Saber he was giving him.

I always just figured Obi was being a kind sympathetic individual in the way he gave Luke Anakin's lightsaber. I mean would think he felt there was a good chance Luke was also force sensitive (he had been watching Luke all these years and had surely saw some signs). He likely wanted to encourage Luke in order to rebuild the Jedi and the telling the kid that he had taken the lightsaber after he had defeated and mutilated Anakin in battle and that Anakin had been 'reborn' into the hideous Darth Vader wouldn't be a good way to start a new jedi off on the right foot :lol

R2 was tricked out by anakin, so it would make sense that his new owner would take out all the modifications that he no longer needed. which also explains the memory wipe.

I didn't think R2's memory was wiped. I thought the instructions were to "have the protocol droid's memory wiped"

When stories are written 20 years apart, there are going to be some inconsistencies. At least they are all minor, no major plot holes or anything else. We all knew that Obi was going to take Anakin's saber at the end of ROTS. We also know that Vader didn't realize he had a son until either ANH or ESB. He assumed that his child died with Padme. So the part about Obi twisting the truth or telling it from his point of veiw seems very valid.

Back