Official Sideshow 1/6 ANH Darth Vader PHOTO Thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pretty cool to see the side-by-side, huh?

It is... the difference is pretty striking. The Sideshow figure isn't terrible by any means, but damn can it be taken up a couple of nothces.

So.. is the stock ANH Vader about as tall as a recent Predator figure? :lol

Maybe a bit taller... it's a monstrous figure.

You know.. it's kind of a possible clue.

They may have started on Chewie - got the body sorted, thought about the sculpting & fake fur logistics & thought - "**** it. Let's whip up a Vader instead. Tall guy in black, with a hat - how hard can it be? :huh"

Huh? huh?? :lol

You know.. it's kind of a possible clue.

They may have started on Chewie - got the body sorted, thought about the sculpting & fake fur logistics & thought - "**** it. Let's whip up a Vader instead. Tall guy in black, with a hat - how hard can it be? :huh"

Huh? huh?? :lol

:lol

Yeah, the stock Vader is huge. Comically so. Especially when you put him next to other figures.
I knew the height complaints before I bought him but I figured it couldn't be that bad

It was that bad.

Sent from my LG-E739 using Tapatalk 2

:lol

Yeah, the stock Vader is huge. Comically so. Especially when you put him next to other figures.
I knew the height complaints before I bought him but I figured it couldn't be that bad

It was that bad.

Sent from my LG-E739 using Tapatalk 2

This has basically become a "how to customise SS Vader" thread. Out of curiosity I dug out the clamshell from my Vader box and put him inside. Looking at how how fits into the clamshell, I can say he's shorter by more than 1cm now. A pretty big difference.

He still looks oversized but put him next to other SS Star Wars figures and somehow it looks okay. SS figures are chunky in their own way, Take the hands off and compare with HT and you'll see they're that little bit bigger. The heads are that bit larger. The difference is small and at the end of the day everyone will have their own view on it. SS figures are chunkier but they stand okay next to HT. As for Vader, he's just oversized. Hands are big, feet are big, helmet is big. His all black outfit seems to emphasize the problem.

Last edited:
Have you considered using a KP03?

KP03 is smaller.

kp03-kp02.jpg

I'm about done with mine..but I have to ask what brand matte spray you guys use to get that awesome dull look on the dome? I tried a satin clear spray and it doesn't look very good.

Are you buying a matte black, or a matte clear? Are any brands/types recommended over others?

Hi guys,

I finally figured out how to adjust the white balance on my camera so it takes a pic which is much more representative of how the figure looks in person.
Up until now, the cape always had a "blue / purple" hint to it in my pics. It really bugged me because it's black when you see it on the shelf. Here it is in all its glory:

SAM_1969_zpsdda4127f.jpg

Chris

Last edited:
Thanks guys!

I can't take any credit for the body mod. It was brilliantly done for me by "ShortRound".

In a nutshell, here's what was done though:

1. Body replaced with KP02. Ankle extenders were added to slightly increase the leg length.

2. SS Cape and robe replaced with the LForigno version. The edges of the robe were folded in so they finished pretty much at the edge of the upper armor. (Unmodified, the LForigno robe is too wide where it sits over the shoulders).

3. Slight padding was added under the armor to raise it up a bit.

4. Hasbro dome was added. (Originally, it had a dome which had been dulled with a satin coat. However, I think it made the dome look too "gray" so I opted to use a shiny Hasbro dome instead which closely matches the amount of shine seen on the dome in the Tantive IV opening scenes of ANH).

Lots of futzing can be credited to me. :lol

Chris

Sorry if I'm late to the party Chris, but what mods did you do to it? It looks great!

Last edited:
Back