Modification/Customization for the DX12 Batman Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
for me,

-I heated the part for 4-5 seconds with a blow dryer
-reshape the part, hold until it the part get to about room temp
-throw the part in the freezer for about 2-3 minutes.
-you may have to repeat the whole "heat, squeeze, and freeze" method a few times if there are some stubborn pieces (for me it was the gaunlets)

I hope that helps :wave

Pretty much what I do. Though I heat it for more than a few seconds. I get the plastic good and limp.:lol

Then my trick is standing him up on the front edge of the freezer with the door open, holding/molding the plastic. When it feels like it's holding the new shape I shut the door, leaving him in the freezer for a few minutes... Unless I forget I had him in there, in which case I will find myself wandering around the apartment an hour later thinking, "where the heck did I set him?"

True story.:lol

Thanks guys! :)

was playing around with my camera and think I got some decent shots minus the full body shot. Here, I've sculpted new eyelids for the squint and sanded down the back of the mouth pieces so they fit deeper into the mouth. felt they stuck too far out before. Aldo I modded the chest, gloves and gauntlets. Personally, I don't the think the smirk mouth looks so bad or rather happy here now that it actually fits into the cowl properly. i think the squint helps it a bit too.

SAM_3130_zps39dbd562-1_zps0e87ad5a.jpg

SAM_3131_zpse71b1265-1_zps0ed0f4a1.jpg

Can I ask what you used to sculpt the eyelids? And did you take out the PERS or leave them in?

looks great!
thanks Zach! :clap probably said this before but I love your sig man! :rock
image_zps64a58833.jpg

Looks just like this. Nicely done. Did you sculpt just the bottom lids?
Thanks! and I sculpted both the top and bottom
Gipetto, and others that sculpted new lids...what material do you use? Like...what is the process? Please explain in detail. What kind of color is it, does it harden by itself, if not what do you do to make it harden, or does it harden at all, and finally, did you have to paint it black after sculpting?
I used Milliput 2part epoxy putty Standard yellow-grey mix. hardens overnight and is rock solid. you can sand it afterwards if you need to smooth things out. really good for sculpting onto something that you don't want to potentially ruin by baking
31I20E4TFPL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

It's very "sticky" when you first mix it. so I kind of just caked it on there first until it started to dry up a bit after about 30mins-hour, then I started to actually sculpt the new lids taking away the excess. with this not being black epoxy, it was pretty tough to tell what was enough to be honest but from the response from you guys I guess it's safe to say it came out ok :lol
Very nice! I hadn't thought of how the face plates kinda stick out from the cowl. Will have to try sanding them down.
yea I had sanded them down when Mag posted about it, but it wasn't enough what I did before so I just completely chopped off the peg (it was getting in the way for me) and kept sanding until they all fit how I wanted then just glued the pegs back on. It was necessary for me to do this anyway b/c my stock pegs were shifted to the right so my mouth pieces didn't fit correctly in the first place
Amazing how much better that face looks with the squint! :google
yea I really dig this faceplate the most now, even more than my medi plate.
Can I ask what you used to sculpt the eyelids? And did you take out the PERS or leave them in?
*copy/pasted from above*
I used Milliput 2part epoxy putty Standard yellow-grey mix. hardens overnight and is rock solid. you can sand it afterwards if you need to smooth things out. really good for sculpting onto something that you don't want to potentially ruin by baking

And to answer your second question, no I didn't take out the PERS system. didn't want to risk damaging anything

Pose isn't important. Just want to get an idea of at what point the crescent becomes visible. :peace

I raised the arm forward to midchest level, the highest I can raise them. In normal situations, this is really the only time where the nature of the lower plates reveals itself:

IMG_6753_zps65ddc6eb.png

You can't tell from the front, though.
IMG_6751_zpsfdf6d7ae.png

The thing about this figure is that, due to the restrictive suit weighing against the strength of the body's joints, the figure can't pull off everything Bale could do in the real suit, so most of the poses where the lower plates would be exposed couldn't be done on the figure anyway.

was playing around with my camera and think I got some decent shots minus the full body shot. Here, I've sculpted new eyelids for the squint and sanded down the back of the mouth pieces so they fit deeper into the mouth. felt they stuck too far out before. Aldo I modded the chest, gloves and gauntlets. Personally, I don't the think the smirk mouth looks so bad or rather happy here now that it actually fits into the cowl properly. i think the squint helps it a bit too.

SAM_3130_zps39dbd562-1_zps0e87ad5a.jpg

SAM_3131_zpse71b1265-1_zps0ed0f4a1.jpg

SAM_3132_zps9271fbad-1_zpsbbf6e3ab.jpg

Great reminds and looks like bale so much here. That's a dx 02 face plate?

Alright who wants or has the free time to take on a commission to modify my dx12 with every single thing on here? Pm me. Sadly enough I neither have the balls or the time to do all these.

thanks Zach! :clap probably said this before but I love your sig man! :rock

Thanks! and I sculpted both the top and bottom

It's very "sticky" when you first mix it. so I kind of just caked it on there first until it started to dry up a bit after about 30mins-hour, then I started to actually sculpt the new lids taking away the excess. with this not being black epoxy, it was pretty tough to tell what was enough to be honest but from the response from you guys I guess it's safe to say it came out ok :lol

yea I had sanded them down when Mag posted about it, but it wasn't enough what I did before so I just completely chopped off the peg (it was getting in the way for me) and kept sanding until they all fit how I wanted then just glued the pegs back on. It was necessary for me to do this anyway b/c my stock pegs were shifted to the right so my mouth pieces didn't fit correctly in the first place

yea I really dig this faceplate the most now, even more than my medi plate.

*copy/pasted from above*

And to answer your second question, no I didn't take out the PERS system. didn't want to risk damaging anything

Crap, I was hoping it'd me more simple. ANNND you left the pers in?? Dang dude, that's serious skill right there.

Thanks for the tips. I hope I can find this putty here in china. I will attempt this.

Last edited:
Quick Grip.

Quick_Grip_Adhesive-xl.jpg
I need to get some of this stuff. I assume it works better than fabric glue??

IMG_6753_zps65ddc6eb.png

You can't tell from the front, though.
IMG_6751_zpsfdf6d7ae.png
This is probably the last mod I will do to this figure. Just sculpt out the rest of the plate
Great reminds and looks like bale so much here. That's a dx 02 face plate?
Nope that's the DX12 plate
Crap, I was hoping it'd me more simple. ANNND you left the pers in?? Dang dude, that's serious skill right there.

Thanks for the tips. I hope I can find this putty here in china. I will attempt this.

Yea I couldn't find it here, I had to order it online. But I think unless you know how to take out the PERS system while keeping it intact, I think this is the simplest way to do do the squint unfortunately lol

This is probably the last mod I will do to this figure. Just sculpt out the rest of the plate

Nope that's the DX12 plate

Yea I couldn't find it here, I had to order it online. But I think unless you know how to take out the PERS system while keeping it intact, I think this is the simplest way to do do the squint unfortunately lol

In my case I HAD to take out the pers because one of the pins that kept the left eye in place came out...and that left me with a cross eyed batman. After a minute of panicking, I tried taking out the pers and realized it was easier than I thought it would be and then fixed it. PERS plate is an entirely different beast altogether, but once taken out, I'm sure sculpting new eyelids would be much simpler.

But now my concern with this mod is...I don't think I can sculpt worth a damn. I want to try it. But need a bit more advice. When you said you caked it on, was it still soft enough to sculpt from or at that point were you only able to sand and chip away? Also, did the original bottom eyelids pose a challenge? Because they're pretty rounded and stick out.

Sorry for all the questions.

I took Plasmid's shoulder mod and made a little improvement. I had a pair of DX02 shoulder pads laying around. So I cut them up, sanded them and glued the bottom piece to add that plate underneath the shoulder armor. Came out great I think. Now I just need to figure out a way to do the same mod for my second one. :)

IMG_0763_zpsfd091eab.jpg

IMG_0762_zps73db799a.jpg

IMG_0761_zps840f4ea8.jpg

^^^ Nice work! :clap (Void is gonna be all over this one. :lol)

Would like to see him in a neutral pose with that setup. :)

I'm sure fabric glue has it's place, but in my experience Quick Grip is a great tool when working with any combination of fabric/plastic/rubber.

You think the shoulder plate mod is more important than one of the excellent neck mods? There are two non-permenant mods that you could at least try. :dunno

Looks awesome Shorty! did you glue the bottom plate in place? I was thinking about sewing it onto the suit
In my case I HAD to take out the pers because one of the pins that kept the left eye in place came out...and that left me with a cross eyed batman. After a minute of panicking, I tried taking out the pers and realized it was easier than I thought it would be and then fixed it. PERS plate is an entirely different beast altogether, but once taken out, I'm sure sculpting new eyelids would be much simpler.

But now my concern with this mod is...I don't think I can sculpt worth a damn. I want to try it. But need a bit more advice. When you said you caked it on, was it still soft enough to sculpt from or at that point were you only able to sand and chip away? Also, did the original bottom eyelids pose a challenge? Because they're pretty rounded and stick out.

Sorry for all the questions.

No worries man I'll try to explain as best I can.

When I say I caked it on, I mean that the epoxy once mixed, is VERY sticky and kind of tough to work with, so i just applied it very loosely without much concern for sculpting, just needed to get it on there and stay. after about half an hour-1hour, it was firm enough to actually sculpt with my tools. I didn't wait over night to chip away as you say. i did all the sculpting while it was still pliable, ie within the first 3-4hours of the inital mixing. I didn't do any sanding. And the original lids actually helped. With them there it allowed me to gauge how much more I needed to add and it gave the epoxy something to stick to. What I will suggest it to every so often move the eyes so make sure you're not sculpting onto the eyes. you don't want to have sculpted the new lids only to find out you also solidified your eyes in place. hope this helps!

Looks awesome Shorty! did you glue the bottom plate in place? I was thinking about sewing it onto the suit

No worries man I'll try to explain as best I can.

When I say I caked it on, I mean that the epoxy once mixed, is VERY sticky and kind of tough to work with, so i just applied it very loosely without much concern for sculpting, just needed to get it on there and stay. after about half an hour-1hour, it was firm enough to actually sculpt with my tools. I didn't wait over night to chip away as you say. i did all the sculpting while it was still pliable, ie within the first 3-4hours of the inital mixing. I didn't do any sanding. And the original lids actually helped. With them there it allowed me to gauge how much more I needed to add and it gave the epoxy something to stick to. What I will suggest it to every so often move the eyes so make sure you're not sculpting onto the eyes. you don't want to have sculpted the new lids only to find out you also solidified your eyes in place. hope this helps!

It does help, a lot. I just need to either man up and work on 1 of the 2 dx12s I have, OR, buy a third head and go to town on that one. That way, if I screw it up, I'll have my original two intact, sans mods done to the displayed one of course.

Thanks again for the tips.

Back