Mars Toys - 1/6 Jaws Figures

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I hope Mars Toys does not pull defeat from the jaws of victory by not following through with all 3 characters.

Would get Quint as-is but also feel there's room for improvement. Make him look "ruddier" or something. Also would get all 3 men in the boat, to be sure.

People are going to need that time to start clearing a space, designing and building their 1:6 scale orca.

This has been on my mind, not building the Orca but thinking about how un-1/6-etic a Jaws series actually is for practical reasons.

I definitely want the trio of figures, but the characters themselves exist only to interact with a giant shark which happens on the water. The Orca, or part thereof, is the ideal environment for them.

Without it there's going to be three 1/6 guys standing on terra firma thinking about a giant shark, or rather a shaky Detolf shelf which inadvertently gives the impression of them being on a boat (!)

Yet, Jaws is such an iconic and nostalgic film that just getting the three 1/6 guys is something special.

Without going to extravagant lengths something very simple could be made to create the effect: a single base etched into decking or covered with scale planking, with three crotch grabber uprights planted into it if necessary.

Or the extravagant way...

This has been on my mind, not building the Orca but thinking about how un-1/6-etic a Jaws series actually is for practical reasons.

I definitely want the trio of figures, but the characters themselves exist only to interact with a giant shark which happens on the water. The Orca, or part thereof, is the ideal environment for them.

Without it there's going to be three 1/6 guys standing on terra firma thinking about a giant shark, or rather a shaky Detolf shelf which inadvertently gives the impression of them being on a boat (!)

Yet, Jaws is such an iconic and nostalgic film that just getting the three 1/6 guys is something special.

Without going to extravagant lengths something very simple could be made to create the effect: a single base etched into decking or covered with scale planking, with three crotch grabber uprights planted into it if necessary.

Remember, Jaws works because the shark didn't.

Less is more.

Thanks for sharing those.
So much respect for these guys and all who do this type of work, their patience, reverence for the source material, attention to detail and skill is fantastic.
From earlier, again not sure if they post here:
These customs were terrific, and they chose to just focus on the back of the Orca, which pretty much cleverly just makes it a display "shelf" for the figures.

Don't know if they post here, this is pretty darn impressive, with Orca display - https://www.onesixthwarriors.com/threads/my-1-6-th-scale-1975-jaws-dio-with-figures.808111/
orca54_zps443c45a9.jpg

orca56_zps5777a946.jpg

And there is always a possibility JazzInc steps in on an Orca display ? :wink1:

Thanks for sharing those.
So much respect for these guys and all who do this type of work, their patience, reverence for the source material, attention to detail and skill is fantastic.
From earlier, again not sure if they post here:
These customs were terrific, and they chose to just focus on the back of the Orca, which pretty much cleverly makes it a display shelf.

And there is always a possibility JazzInc steps in on an Orca display ? :wink1:

I've been fascinated by small, mobile living spaces since I was a kid imagining my bedroom was a spaceship with the window the cockpit glass. I'm sure it stemmed from dreaming about living aboard the Millennium Falcon.

Coming down to earth I love seeing big camper vans (i.e., RVs) and the cabin spaces on smaller boats in movies and series. The scenes inside the Orca are very evocative.

This is another model, in 1/20, that has detailed upper and lower cabin space:

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/26...inished-scale-120-from-the-movie-jaws/page/5/

There's masses of photos including behind the scenes of the real boat.

IMG_8716_1280.JPG.a137ba78b7026d8c8959bea3bc783caf.jpg
IMG_8712_1280.thumb.JPG.67628072402c538614130b0569742da4.jpg

IMG_8938_1280.thumb.JPG.7a2172c8005921384ed9b11aa6558a7f.jpg
IMG_8944_1280.thumb.JPG.0de378d275c5c397ae38d490ac824725.jpg
IMG_8947_1280.thumb.JPG.79cb530691b510d66c9950d7d955438d.jpg

8 years + back my friend and I embarked on a scratch build radio control project inspired by Jaws 1975. Six months later, three sets of plans some inside knowledge of the Orca, our own Input and imagination we launched the boat. She exceeded our expectations and sailed like a dream, she still does to this day.

When i sail her, I hear voices of all ages say, look its the Jaws boat. I say when asked It is inspired by the Jaws film.

The boat is about 1.14 scale creates the foam from prop and rudder when under way just like in the film. Lights, engine sounds and dialogue from the film including the Indianapolis speech.

My friend is no longer with us but what a voyage it has been, It was about our friendship not the boat.

We named her Amity, which as you know means friendship.

Attachments

• 20240505_203427.jpg
    20240505_203427.jpg
    675.7 KB · Views: 0
8 years + back my friend and I embarked on a scratch build radio control project inspired by Jaws 1975. Six months later, three sets of plans some inside knowledge of the Orca, our own Input and imagination we launched the boat. She exceeded our expectations and sailed like a dream, she still does to this day.

When i sail her, I hear voices of all ages say, look its the Jaws boat. I say when asked It is inspired by the Jaws film.

The boat is about 1.14 scale creates the foam from prop and rudder when under way just like in the film. Lights, engine sounds and dialogue from the film including the Indianapolis speech.

My friend is no longer with us but what a voyage it has been, It was about our friendship not the boat.

We named her Amity, which as you know means friendship.
Such a great story and beautiful connection to your friend but now I'd take that boat out on the ocean, load the back with fish meat ensuring some blood trails out the back, set it adrift, and film what happens in the next 30 minutes. Even better lay a NECA Quint at the back of the boat. :yess:

It wouldn't be to give your late friend a good laugh or for the 10 million views you'd get on YT - it'd just be fun.

Thank you for the suggestion. At some point Amity shall have a new custodian who shall decide her future.

Factoids... 84 hours was spend constructing the mast. The exhaust is made from a syringe, the metal railings of pulpit from a 1940's coat hanger. Top spinner has two options, shark tails or cups which spin on a light breeze. Chum buckets created from household bits, Playmobil fish cut up and blood of the Gods, the most realistic blood.

Like her custodian not perfect but from a distance looks the part.

Amity is ready to sail on the 20th June, 2024.

Up periscope. Rig for depth charges. Standby fire drill.

Attachments

• 20240505_203556.jpg
    20240505_203556.jpg
    445.4 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Back