Mars Toys 1/6 Jervis Tetch - The Mad Hatter (Batman '66)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
HT never will.

Mars... well, I'm certain we'll see renders for '66 Bruce Wayne and youthful ward Dick Grayson. But since Saturn (which is Mars) made 66 Batman and Robin already, the best you could hope for is a reissue. Which is possible.

HT never will.

Mars... well, I'm certain we'll see renders for '66 Bruce Wayne and youthful ward Dick Grayson. But since Saturn (which is Mars) made 66 Batman and Robin already, the best you could hope for is a reissue. Which is possible.
HT has made 2.0s of other Batman figures recently so its definitely possible but it happening any time soon definitely won't. If Saturn reissues them I'll be happy to get them. Should have gotten Romero Joker when it came as now the majority of Batman's rogues from 66 is all being made and his alleys.

HT has made 2.0s of other Batman figures recently so its definitely possible but it happening any time soon definitely won't.

1966 seems so niche -- long ago and forgotten -- not sure how well they sold for HT, but at the numbers they like, probably not well enough. They cranked out a pretty cheap Batman Forever Dynamic Duo -- too tall and sticky and basically unposable -- and no sign of anyone else. Doesn't seem like a lot of interest on HT's part other than the same old TDK... and 89 when its "relevant" (as in The Flash). Let's see how much care they take with Batman 89 2.0.

Numbers too low for HT seem fine for Mars, although they have only released one '66 villain and the Bat-pair. Their main Batman success has come from '89 Batman -- two Jokers, Bruce and Alfred.

I mean to be fair we’re almost sixty years removed from the 66 series. Fandom eventually will dwindle.

I kind of feel like I’m part of one of the last generations who watched it and that was late at the time. I was born twenty years after it debuted and probably watched it for the first time in the early nineties.

The sad thing is, Mars doesn't realize that the window for these 1966 Batman figures is fast closing.

They invigorated interest in nostalgia for many like myself. In fact, since I got Romero Joker, I've been watching the old Batman TV show for the first time since I was a little kid (when it was deep into reruns)... and, man... is it awful. Worse, I've watched too many episodes because I've already grown tired of it... much like I did when I was a kid. A few more episodes, or a few more months of nothing but renders, and I'll move my collecting focus to something I can actually get my hands on.

This hobby is tactile.

I mean to be fair we’re almost sixty years removed from the 66 series. Fandom eventually will dwindle.

I kind of feel like I’m part of one of the last generations who watched it and that was late at the time. I was born twenty years after it debuted and probably watched it for the first time in the early nineties.
You and me both bud. Watched the show in the nineties because of my dad, that and Batman 89 and BTAS was what made me into a Batfan.

Eventually? Yes. But I think there is still some life in it. I was born only five years after the debut. I'm in my 50's and was obsessed with the show as a small child. It was all we really had, and that was only if we were lucky to cast a broadcast episode - no VHS yet. Many of my toy collecting peers in my age group hold the show in a similar place and - to be blunt - we're not dead yet.

The sad thing is, Mars doesn't realize that the window for these 1966 Batman figures is fast closing.

[...] and I'll move my collecting focus to something I can actually get my hands on.
It closed for me already. The hype came and went. When Romero Joker started shipping I started rewatching the series and got a bit excited for the arrival, but once I got it and Dino's tie, the hype started to die down rather quickly and now I'm over it. I'll still enjoy the show, but I don't need collectibles from it. I've sold off the Saturn Toys set as well as Romero Joker.

Eventually? Yes. But I think there is still some life in it. I was born only five years after the debut. I'm in my 50's and was obsessed with the show as a small child. It was all we really had, and that was only if we were lucky to cast a broadcast episode - no VHS yet. Many of my toy collecting peers in my age group hold the show in a similar place and - to be blunt - we're not dead yet.
Yeah, but you grew up with it essentially. The thing is with it being Batman there’s always some fandom but after sixty years the popularity is eventually going to fade for the more modern iterations.

Yeah, but you grew up with it essentially. The thing is with it being Batman there’s always some fandom but after sixty years the popularity is eventually going to fade for the more modern iterations.
I mean, yeah. That's why I agreed with the sentiment "eventually". Of course it will fade. But in the time scale we're talking about? There's a fair bit of life left in the license. The popularity for more modern iterations began the moment more modern iterations appeared (1989). The 60's stuff was a niche five years ago, and will be niche five years from now. If they wanted to strike when the nostalgia iron was actually hot, they should have released these toys around 1988.

And yes, I grew up with reruns of the show, same as most. i just happened on them earlier, when they were harder to watch.

Batman 66 collectables were nonexistent until about 10 years ago when all the rights issues got sorted out. Then the damn burst. It makes me happy to see it, but I only need so much. Even if they could have released stuff around Batman 89, those were prime “60s Batman ruined Batman” days, so I’m not sure it would have done very well. People didn’t seem to know how goofy the Batman comic was in the 40s and 50s. If you look at Batman 66 in context of those comics, it’s a pretty solid interpretation. If you’re first experience was with Batman 89 or BtAS, Batman 66 must seem like it’s from another planet.

Weren’t there already second runs of both the B&R sets and the Joker? They may be slow releasing product, but it hardly seems like they’re having trouble reaching eager buyers.

Back