Jabba review by Adam Hughes

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think its a POF 12" Slave Leia with a different head. Where the haed came from I have no idea but it looks a lot like the Koto head. So I have a feeling its a POF Hasbro body with a Koto head.

mfoga said:
I think its a POF 12" Slave Leia with a different head. Where the haed came from I have no idea but it looks a lot like the Koto head. So I have a feeling its a POF Hasbro body with a Koto head.

Not to make fun, but if you think that's a POF2 body, you must not have owned many of them. There is like 20 points of extra articulation compared to a POTF2 male figure. And the females were glorified Barbie bodies. Now, if you mean the outfit, then yes, that's correct. The outfit comes from the 12" FAO exclusive Slave Leia and "drink tray" R2. The body is most likely Dragon or BBI.

DouglasMcc said:
Not to make fun, but if you think that's a POF2 body, you must not have owned many of them. There is like 20 points of extra articulation compared to a POTF2 male figure. And the females were glorified Barbie bodies. Now, if you mean the outfit, then yes, that's correct. The outfit comes from the 12" FAO exclusive Slave Leia and "drink tray" R2. The body is most likely Dragon or BBI.
No I never did own it but I found some picture of one that said it was POTF2 Slave Leia and the body was the same. That was the basis of my comment. I guess that picture was wrong.

Picture was very wrong. I have both the Prisoner Leia figures and my lord are those bodies craptastic. They aren't glorified Barbies, they pretty much ARE Barbies. The body is nothing beyond cut shoulders, cut hips and a neck. The hands are also in a very odd sculpt. One looks like it should be holding something away from her in disgust.

But yea, the review and other photos were really really funny. I hope he does more reviews like this one.

mfoga said:

i'm pretty certain the body is from the hot toys vasquez figure. the body also looks to have female LOTR toy biz hands, since vasquez had gloves.

but the head is a mystery. it's probably a custom sculpt, or one of the hasbro heads could of been shrunk. i don't thinks it's the KOTO head, as that looks nothing like leia. or it could be a cast of the gentle giant boussh head and modified.

Hey, everybody. I've been posting on a few threads in this forum, and I saw this one. I guess I should pony up about my (in-progress) custom Slave Leia.

First off, I usually have 8-12 customs going at any one time. That way, if I find an eBay bargain on the perfect shoes for one or a 1/6 bust/statue/kit comes out that has a part I can re-use.... well, I'm always finding SOMETHING.

My Slave Leia was about 50% done when Sideshow asked me to review Jabba. I knew I had to get her tarted up enough to look good in the pics. I had her face painted perfect, and I do MEAN perfect, and I hit her with some flat clear-coat ( a brand I hadn't tried before) and it was one of those ones that's slightly opaque, with a damn blue tint. I was HORRIFIED. A couple hours of emergency customizing, shot to hell. Now, her skin is too pale and blue, like a Scottish person swimming in January, and her eyes & hair aren't dark enough. I'd like to post pics of her, but only once I've fixed her.

The head: The Gentle Giant Boussh minibust Leia head. It's actually a great sculpt, it just needed a better paint job. Also, it comes off, as Boussh comes with a second helmeted head. The helmeted Boussh bust is on the shelf, unmolested. The problem? The hair isn't exactly the same as Slave Leia's. I tried sanding it down, but to didn't look quite right. So I did a quick hair-transplant. I took the hair off of a Dragon-in-Dream Legolas (since I didn't need him anymore, thanks to Sideshow, heh) by just scalping his vinyl head with an X-Acto knife. I then laid it over Boussh Leia's head and drew a hair-line with a pencil. I then Dremeled Leia's scalp until I could fit the Legolas hair in. Add epoxy.

The ponytail and bronze hair.... thingies I got off the Kotobukiya 1/7 scale Slave Leia (more on that in a sec). For ages I've been using the HASBRO 12" Slave Leia bits, but the new Koto Leia has the better stuff.

The body: HOT TOYS female body, from either Vasquez or the female SWAT officer. Amazing body, excellent articulation, and that latex torso meant she was destined for Slave Leia when I got her off eBay. I try lots of new bodies by getting them on eBay, and seeing if the work for any customs. The HOT TOYS female body is GREAT, I highly recommend her. The legs look great but aren't as poseable as, say, CY Girl 2.0, but the torso/neck/shoulder articulation will BLOW YOUR MIND.

Since the Vasquez body came with gloved hands, I tweaked a pair of DRAGON female hands to have HOT TOYS wrist posts. Easier than it actually sounds.

The gear: As I said, I WAS using HASBRO, but lucked into a Kotobukiya Slave Leia. All her costume bits are soft, stretchy vinyl, seperately molded, and come off with hardly any X-Acto fuss. In my pics, Leia is STILL wearing the HASBRO top, because I had no time to engineer straps for the Koto top, which fits the HOT TOYS torso like a glove. The BEST part is the collar and chain. Most folks just use jewelry chain for Leia's collar; Koto actually reproduced the EXACT style of chain links. It's amazing.

The only thing I had to make was the maroon skirt pieces, and I just got some fabric, and hot-glued it to the inside of the pelvic bronze.... thingies.

The boots, which you can never see, are modified Sideshow soft boots, like the ones on Enchanter Tim, YOUNG FRANKENSTEIN Igor, and several others. They still need buckets of work, which is why I didn't show them in the review.

I'll try to post some photos, if everyone doesn't mind 'work-in-progress' shots.

As for Jabba's palace...... hoo boy. I was just gonna do a quickie review, and then I realized I needed SOME kinda 'set'. So I built it. It's made of 1" thick foamboard from the art-supply store, cut and hot-glued into place. I then skinned it with fast-drying joint compound from LOWE's to give it a rock texture, and then painted it an appropriate color. It actually looks dull and boring in person (and it only weighs about 20 lbs). It's the damn LIGHTING that makes the pictures work. I tried very hard to replicate the lighting from RETURN OF THE JEDI, which was NOT easy. Add to that the lung cancer I think I gave myself by smoking WAY too many cigars during the photo-shoot, to give it that smokey 'underworld' atmosphere.

And YEAH, I should be drawing comics, but everybody's allowed a hobby, right? Somehow, my hobby became my job for a few days. I wish I could do MORE customizing, but I got lots of assignments due.... darn.

I'll try to get some pics posted here, of the custom Slave Leia, and the Jabba set.

Thanks to everyone for their support & kind words!

-AH!

"It's never too late for a happy childhood..."

For slapped together "works in progress" those are phenomenal customs. We look forward to more of your customizing greatness!

Atom Hues said:
I'll try to get some pics posted here, of the custom Slave Leia, and the Jabba set.

Thanks to everyone for their support & kind words!

Thanks for settling these questions for us, Adam! I look forward to seeing more photos of that amazing set-up you've got going there!

Atom Hues said:
And YEAH, I should be drawing comics, but everybody's allowed a hobby, right?

Absolutely, Adam. I was just kidding.

I'm looking forward to your Wonder Woman book. And to your next custom figures.

:)

Just brilliant Adam. It really looks like Carrie Fisher is sitting there... kinda eerie really. :lol And your C-3PO is another work of art.

Here's an unretouched shot. You can see how the flat clearcoat has made her dark browns (eyes and hair) sort of a smokey cool gray. The clearcoat also turned the fade I'd painted from her flesh to her hair a weird cool gray. I was horrified.

You can also see the seam along her temple (I gave her the hair from a different figure) that time constraints prevented me from filling in before I had to start painting. You can also see the kneaded eraser I was using to hole her head on, a quick fix. Her neck is a bit too long, on the final I'll fix it. Getting my paint job back to where it was is Job One...

Here's a profile shot, where you can really see the nightmare of the clearcoat disaster. But the Kotobukiya ponytail and bronze hair thingies turned out great! Also, a detail of the Koyobukiya slave Leia chain that makes it worth the price, for help in customizing a 12" slave Leia, IMO...

Memnoch21 said:
Just brilliant Adam. It really looks like Carrie Fisher is sitting there... kinda eerie really. :lol And your C-3PO is another work of art.

Ooh, nononono..... that Threepio is NOTHING of mine. That's just the Gentle Giant C-3PO minibust, with no changes. All I did was Photoshop the light in his eyes.

I used whatever I could find to populate Jabba's palace. Sideshow figures, HASBRO figures, Gentle Giant minibusts. I couldn't find a decently-priced HASBRO skiff gaurd Lando on eBay, so I just used a Gentle Giant minibust, and always shot him from waist-up.

I AM working on a custom Threepio, converting a 1990's Kaiyodo 1/6 scale vinyl kit into mobility with lights in the eyes. He just wasn't NEAR ready to be used in the review when Sideshow needed it....

Hey Adam, it's Carl... Sansweet's friend who visited the pre-Dragon*Con party you hosted year before last.

Just so you know, now that I know where you live I will be coming to kidnap your custom Leia real soon. :monkey2

In all seriousness, man... that thing is just stunning. AWESOME job! :rock

Atom Hues said:

Here's a profile shot, where you can really see the nightmare of the clearcoat disaster. But the Kotobukiya ponytail and bronze hair thingies turned out great! Also, a detail of the Koyobukiya slave Leia chain that makes it worth the price, for help in customizing a 12" slave Leia, IMO...

Wow, that chain IS rad.

Out of curiosity, does anyone know how the Koto Leia model's head scales with the Hot Toys body? I'm not sure I can plunk down for both a Leia Boushh bust and a Koto Leia model to rework into a custom.....

Atom Hues said:
Ooh, nononono..... that Threepio is NOTHING of mine. That's just the Gentle Giant C-3PO minibust, with no changes. All I did was Photoshop the light in his eyes.

I used whatever I could find to populate Jabba's palace. Sideshow figures, HASBRO figures, Gentle Giant minibusts. I couldn't find a decently-priced HASBRO skiff gaurd Lando on eBay, so I just used a Gentle Giant minibust, and always shot him from waist-up.

I AM working on a custom Threepio, converting a 1990's Kaiyodo 1/6 scale vinyl kit into mobility with lights in the eyes. He just wasn't NEAR ready to be used in the review when Sideshow needed it....

Ah my mistake. I guess it threw me because I hadn't seen the GG 3PO before :lol . I look foward though to seeing what you can do with the Kaiyodo kit.

Out of curiosity, does anyone know how the Koto Leia model's head scales with the Hot Toys body? I'm not sure I can plunk down for both a Leia Boushh bust and a Koto Leia model to rework into a custom.....

Well, not only is the Koto head NOT a great likeness, but it looked small when I tested it on the HOT TOYS body. Sorry!

I get lucky because I do 10-12 conventions a year. I find a lot of these busts, statues, and kits for STEALS.

Here's something to keep in mind: LOTS of shifty but helpful folks recast many of these heads and put them on eBay. I bet you that when the Gentle Giant Slave Leia statue comes out (assuming the head doesn't mysteriously resemble Ewan McGregor's cousin Angus), there will be $10 castings of its head online within DAYS.

Back