Is nobody making custom figures anymore ??

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I’ll try to upload pics of my Amanaman progress soon when I can. I have some progress on the main bulk of the body so it’s starting to take shape.

I sculpted a Nikto head that I’m having trouble casting due to bubbles in the horns.

I wish I hadn't read that. :lol I'm getting close to the molding/casting phase on my Nikto sculpt, and I'm dreading it because of casting problems I've had with much simpler sculpts. :slap

Here's where my progress was at on the Nikto a couple of days ago.

NiktoHeadSculpt01.jpg

Thanks for the kind words guys! :duff Really appreciate it.

I'm hoping to end up with two Nikto figures (w/ different costumes) to put around a Jabba setup, but it will all depend on getting the mold done right so that I can have useful castings (fingers crossed). And I guess one of these could also be used with Jedi robes for a prequel version of a Nikto Jedi, but I don't see myself bothering with that.

I'll post pics here of the first Jabba Nikto I finish. And if I don't post pics, then that means the casting effort failed. :lol

Thanks for the kind words guys! :duff Really appreciate it.

I'm hoping to end up with two Nikto figures (w/ different costumes) to put around a Jabba setup, but it will all depend on getting the mold done right so that I can have useful castings (fingers crossed). And I guess one of these could also be used with Jedi robes for a prequel version of a Nikto Jedi, but I don't see myself bothering with that.

I'll post pics here of the first Jabba Nikto I finish. And if I don't post pics, then that means the casting effort failed. :lol

I wonder if you would share some info with a rookie sculptor?

What do you use for the eye balls? Beads? What size?

What medium are you using? Wax?

Sent from the inside of a giant slug in outer space.....

I wish I hadn't read that. :lol I'm getting close to the molding/casting phase on my Nikto sculpt, and I'm dreading it because of casting problems I've had with much simpler sculpts. :slap

Here's where my progress was at on the Nikto a couple of days ago.

View attachment 450133

Dude that rocks! Great job on the sculpt, I love how you did the horns. Since I've been having trouble with my horns so I might refine my sculpt and make the horns separate. Then cast them separate since the bubbles keep messing up the cast. Unless someone knows something I don't haha.

Here's my Nikto sculpt, and the rough start to my Amanaman. I still have a lot to do on the Amanaman but I like my progress so far. 0.jpg0-1.jpg

ajp4mgs, your Nikto looks really good! Really, really good!!

Cagoda, that Amanaman is awesome! I was drawing up an idea of how to make on to place over a figure's body and was looking at a making a foam cast. Are you planning on making it posable?

Thanks everyone!! I really appreciate it. I want to be able to make the Amanaman awesome and hopefully make casts for anyone who wants it. I do plan on adding articulation so currently trying to think of ways to do that while I’m sculpting it, and make it easy enough to cast too.

I wonder if you would share some info with a rookie sculptor?

What do you use for the eye balls? Beads? What size?

What medium are you using? Wax?

The eyeballs are 5mm porcelain balls/beads. They’re not necessary, but I use them because I had a tendency to screw up the eyeball itself whenever I’d refine the eyelids on these sculpts. The porcelain eyeballs make that a non-issue.

The medium I use is oven-bake clay (“Super Sculpey Polymer Clay” to be specific). It comes in 1-pound boxes, which is enough for several 1/6 head sculpts. There's a conventional version (the one I prefer) which is beige in color; and there's a "firm" version which is gray in color.

Dude that rocks! Great job on the sculpt, I love how you did the horns. Since I've been having trouble with my horns so I might refine my sculpt and make the horns separate. Then cast them separate since the bubbles keep messing up the cast. Unless someone knows something I don't haha.

Thanks, Cagoda! The horns are still a work in progress for me. I have a little more building and refining to do on them before baking and molding.

Your idea of making horns separately is a great one. If I have the same sort of problem with the horns in my castings, I'll probably just make/add horns onto the castings with Apoxie.

Here's my Nikto sculpt, and the rough start to my Amanaman. I still have a lot to do on the Amanaman but I like my progress so far.
View attachment 450189View attachment 450190

That's awesome! :clap I can't wait to see the Amanaman when you finish it. It's gonna look amazing (it already does, even as a WIP!). Great work!!

ajp4mgs, your Nikto looks really good! Really, really good!!

Thanks a-lot! :duff Much appreciated.

Here's my Nikto sculpt, and the rough start to my Amanaman. I still have a lot to do on the Amanaman but I like my progress so far. View attachment 450189View attachment 450190

To keep air bubbles from getting trapped in tight spots such as horns you can make small canals out from the tip of them, so the resin has further to travel and then you just trim the excess off.

Though, since they are in difficult positions to do that, I hear dusting talcum powder into the mold and brush and blow it out as much as possible before molding can help too.

Lastly, get a pressure pot or rotocast setup.

The eyeballs are 5mm porcelain balls/beads. They’re not necessary, but I use them because I had a tendency to screw up the eyeball itself whenever I’d refine the eyelids on these sculpts. The porcelain eyeballs make that a non-issue.

The medium I use is oven-bake clay (“Super Sculpey Polymer Clay” to be specific). It comes in 1-pound boxes, which is enough for several 1/6 head sculpts. There's a conventional version (the one I prefer) which is beige in color; and there's a "firm" version which is gray in color.

Thanks, Cagoda! The horns are still a work in progress for me. I have a little more building and refining to do on them before baking and molding.

Your idea of making horns separately is a great one. If I have the same sort of problem with the horns in my castings, I'll probably just make/add horns onto the castings with Apoxie.

That's awesome! :clap I can't wait to see the Amanaman when you finish it. It's gonna look amazing (it already does, even as a WIP!). Great work!!

Thanks a-lot! :duff Much appreciated.

Sculpty ? Wow, thats good detail for that stuff. So you let it air dry?

I usually use Aves 2 part epoxy. Which I like as far as consistency, but it drys way too fast.

Thank for the info. The sculpt looks great.

Back