InArt: The Lord of the Rings - Gandalf 1:6

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
IMG_5189.jpeg
Am I crazy or does it look like some paint is missing off his nose?

Either that or a pimple

IMG_5188.jpeg

Just arrived! Love the packaging and the unboxing experience with InArt figures. I think I have the glue issue in my right staff hand. Doesn't seem like it wants to connect. Might have to dremel it a bit this weekend.

Hair/beard are massive right out of the box. Will take some work to tame it. Clothes also look like they'll need some water treatment.

687BAB5C-FEC4-4A18-8493-798E268C797C.jpeg

Got my Gandalf out and setup today. Took a good couple hours to go through everything and futz a bit. I get the hype now. Probably one of the only figures I’ve ever bought where I was significantly more wowed in hand vs online photos and videos. The sculpt really is more crisp and hi-def in hand compared to a typical Hot Toys figure.

My pros and cons so far:

- Lots of volume to the beard but I think it still works in hand with a little futzing, I thought I was going to absolutely hate it with how these last batches have been looking in photos.
- I hate the blue belt, took me ages with the instructions before I figured out they had the main hanging strap knotted up too close to the belt (and the hanging strap was pointing upwards and ending all the way up under his right armpit) so I had to undo and reset it which was quite fiddly and annoying.
- Already scuffed the pipe a bit trying to put it only halfway into the staff, should have included an extra for that very purpose.
- Much more difficult to get the rooted hair and beard to sit/hang down as naturally when you have the additional outer robe on due to the extra layer of material.
- I think the hat works really well if you take the padding out, I can get mine on the head really well and looks great. However it obviously makes it so difficult to see the sculpt underneath that I’m definitely going to be leaving it off for the time being.
- Base sucks, magnets are weak as hell. I’m using the staff to give him extra support but will start looking for some sort of crotch grabber stand that will work for LOTR. I just have no faith that he won’t fall over at some point with my crazy toddler running around.
- The rooted hair looks fantastic. However. I’m not sure how I feel in terms of whether I’m actually going to enjoy owning this figure due to always having to mess with it again every time I change poses. Personally I can get pretty annoyed with futzing and to me that is the opposite of “fun” which is something I do prioritize with my figures these days. I already do not look forward to even touching him again but damn it looks good with that rooted hair.

To sum up. Yeah this is one of the best 1/6 figures ever made. Can’t wait for Batman and Aragorn.
View attachment 700329
https://www.etsy.com/listing/170025...ick_sum=4156549e&ref=shop_home_active_3&crt=1

Hidden crotch grabber so it can achieve the same look as the provided base.

Alternate one Moria style.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/171443...ick_sum=fbd24655&ref=shop_home_active_1&crt=1

Oooh, I like that Shire base a lot. That could scratch the itch for me until -- hopefully -- the autumn/forest diorama becomes widely available. 🤞🏻
Looks like a paint rub to me. His eyes are off too which is a bummer. I hope IA ditches the PERS and goes to the single eye control system in the future.
The Batman has SERS, so that's a good sign! Although, apparently the way they did it has issues, too -- namely that the joint where the head and neck meet can apparently jostle the eyes out of position.

I guess that’s my thing, I don’t know what I want, I’ve never done this before haha. At least now I know to soak through and not just dampen, that’s a very helpful start. Thank you! Did you shape anything on the clothes, or did you just wet them and however they dried was what you kept?
While wet I creased, pulled tugged and flattened (where needed) the cloth into the position for the pose I wanted, and then let it dry.
The beauty is if you change your mind, you can do it again, and again ;^)

My Gandalf only took 6 days to arrive in Los Angeles.
I'm posting this because Kit wanted feedback on the shipping.

Yeah I contacted Kit about it, hope he can help but if not, I understand.

But even with the defect, he came out really well.

I’m buying an aquarium tree stump this weekend because I’d like to pose him smoking and sitting but even just like this, the outfit is just perfect. A huge difference a little (a lot) of water spray can do.

IMG_5200.jpeg

IMG_5202.jpeg

IMG_5193.jpeg

Well, it's my turn to post finally! He arrived holy smokes!!!

Amazing just next level honestly the pictures below are with little to no futzing( just arranged a bit after placed the head) so I'm really happy that even the last batch looks amazing.

Though the wrist peg problem is there. I cannot plug in the staff holding hand it's very annoying honestly. I have way too much glue inside the peg. All other hands can be pushed in without issue.. BUT everything else is just perfect and everything is there. Wow. It truly is the best sculpt I've seen irl and it's WAY different in person the hairs are so thin and welll scaled should I say? haha. For someone who's never seen rooted hair it's truly magnificent.

Let the Futzing begin!
image_2024-05-02_160128950.png
Screenshot 2024-05-02 160104.png

The eyes look a bit misaligned in the photos? 🤔 Maybe it seems like it from the shadows around the eyes but it seems good in person! It was the first thing I checked when I unboxed.

He's absolutely amazing, inArt did an outstanding job, as a huge LOTR fan I'm over the moon.

PS: We upgraded to faster shipping route for United States, estimate schedule 5-8 days delivering by USPS

Please report here if it takes more than 8 days from the date you receive tracking from us

I want to see if this shipping route worth the $$
Hey Kit not sure if anything changed for EU shipping but I got mine in 15 days and this was the fastest shipping yet. Anything else was usually over 30 days.

Mine's in transit so TBD, but FWIW I got the shipping notification on the 28th and it's tentatively scheduled for the 4th, so that would be 6 days! I certainly hope it stays on target. It's been a long while since I've been this excited for an arrival.

Is there a law or something in Illinois that they can't buy direct from Hong Kong or China or wherever it is that TBA ships from? That's so bizarre that it's only one state.

Back