Display cases info

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can someone tell me if this size PAX will work? 78 3/4x26x92 7/8. The shelves are only 22 7/8" so it seems like there might be some gap with the 26" deep PAX?

1) no gap, the pax shelves are 22" deep and fits perfectly inside the pax. The 26" deep is the total dimension including the thickness of the wood and the sliding doors. If you just look at the pax frames it is around 22" deep. https://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/categories/departments/bedroom/20087/

2) The pax shelves dont appear to be discontinued, i think only the medium brown color was discontinued, unless i am missing something.

3) Bottomline, for the dimensions of the pax case, look at the frames only, do not look at the combination units which also includes the sliding doors.

For custom acrylic panels, you have to get the sliding door first then measure it yourself, there is no shortcut unless you want to be stuck with 2x gigantic acrylic panels that wont fit. Only exception to that is you happen to have the exact same sliding door with the same width i posted a while back in this thread, then you can use my measurements.

1) no gap, the pax shelves are 22" deep and fits perfectly inside the pax. The 26" deep is the total dimension including the thickness of the wood and the sliding doors. If you just look at the pax frames it is around 22" deep. https://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/categories/departments/bedroom/20087/

2) The pax shelves dont appear to be discontinued, i think only the medium brown color was discontinued, unless i am missing something.

3) Bottomline, for the dimensions of the pax case, look at the frames only, do not look at the combination units which also includes the sliding doors.

For custom acrylic panels, you have to get the sliding door first then measure it yourself, there is no shortcut unless you want to be stuck with 2x gigantic acrylic panels that wont fit. Only exception to that is you happen to have the exact same sliding door with the same width i posted a while back in this thread, then you can use my measurements.

Thank you gagaliya! It's all starting to make sense... Really dude, I can't thank you enough for posting all this info on how to put together a great display case with the Pax. I've been pulling my hair out trying to find a way to get my Cinemaquettes into a case. Now I have to figure out which color...I mostly collect villains and horror, so black should look good, but I am considering white or the brown color you used. I like that you used the black shelves too, looks classy. :clap

no prob, black brown is my second choice (one of my pax is this color) as it is just too dark unless you have a lot of red/white statues (like vamp pf or pcs darkchylde), then it will pop in color contrast. If it's mostly black/grey statues like aliens/jason it gets washed out in the black background somewhat.

The best choice is medium-brown as it still has a classy look that fits with a horror theme but lighter in color to make the darker statues pop. Unfortunately i think ikea is discontinuing this color so try your luck.

The white and light wood color don't really fit horror collection themes, but they are great for rest like marvel/dc collections.

anyway all personal preference, i have the dark brown and medium brown and the medium brown displays better for me.

I don't think they are discontinuing the Lyngdal glass doors... I still see them restocking at my local Ikea.

Wow thanks for the build on the pax gagaliya. I bought a besta and it doesn't fit all my big pfs in it! Just wish I saw this before I went and spend money on the bestas with glass doors :(.

Wow thanks for the build on the pax gagaliya. I bought a besta and it doesn't fit all my big pfs in it! Just wish I saw this before I went and spend money on the bestas with glass doors :(.

Waiiittt.... What do you consider "Big PF's?" I have some big pf's, ie - Hellboy I and II PF's and they fit not only swimmingly, but each of them have a companion PF. Can you give me a better idea here? If you bought a tall Besta, you would have the base, and 2 additional shelves. This would fit 6 pf's quite nicely.

Did you have the dimensions of the 59"x25"x93" Pax acrylic panes by chance Gagaliya?

yes but i did the 6x panel version, they are:

.125 THICK ACRYLIC
Size: 25.5" X 28.5" @ +/- 0.062 [Qty: 6]

Name Qty Unit Price Total Price
.125 THICK ACRYLIC 6 31.22 187.32

besta offers more modular options, they just wont fit as many - around 60% capacity of pax, same width.

Waiiittt.... What do you consider "Big PF's?" I have some big pf's, ie - Hellboy I and II PF's and they fit not only swimmingly, but each of them have a companion PF. Can you give me a better idea here? If you bought a tall Besta, you would have the base, and 2 additional shelves. This would fit 6 pf's quite nicely.

Hulk pf and the Thing don't fit. I'm not sure if the dewback will fit in the pax.

Hey guys, I forgot to mention, I was able to snag one of the last PAX doors they have :yess: (Lyngdal), and the lady mentioned they are discontinuing them but they are coming out with similar type doors where the frames "are not as thick" (her words). She also said the PAX aren't going anywhere except for the birch - she did say they were planning on discontinuing the PAX in that color.

So I don't know if that's really the case but she did sound fairly knowledgeable. I would say if you're planning on picking up birch anytime soon you might want to call your local Ikea and confirm before they are gone forever...

But I was pretty happy to snag a Lyngdal as this will be my 3rd and final PAX to accommodate my 1/6.

I've been debating on the width Pax to buy, but I just measured the width of my new CM Darth Vader and I have to go with the 78" wide. Plus it looks like the legendary scale Wolverine or 1/2 T-800 Endoskeleton would fit in this one. Not that I plan on buying these but you never know. Now to make a final decision on color. I really like the look of white, but as gagaliya explained, the medium-brown might be better. One thing's for sure, I won't be going with the dark brown/black. Dark pieces do get lost with a dark background.

I've been debating on the width Pax to buy, but I just measured the width of my new CM Darth Vader and I have to go with the 78" wide. Plus it looks like the legendary scale Wolverine or 1/2 T-800 Endoskeleton would fit in this one. Not that I plan on buying these but you never know. Now to make a final decision on color. I really like the look of white, but as gagaliya explained, the medium-brown might be better. One thing's for sure, I won't be going with the dark brown/black. Dark pieces do get lost with a dark background.

I replaced the backing on my black/brown pax with 1/4" plywood and painted it gray to avoid that very problem.

DSC010462_zpsffd44aa4.jpg

I replaced the backing on my black/brown pax with 1/4" plywood and painted it gray to avoid that very problem.

DSC010462_zpsffd44aa4.jpg

Even with painting the back panel grey, the display looks a lot darker than a white or light brown PAX. Don't get me wrong, it looks great man. I like the way it looks. As I am trying to decide on a color for my PAX, I have realized that whenever I see a picture of white cabinets, the statues really pop in my eyes. I'm leaning towards white cabinets because of this. It's a big decision because I intend on buying multiples and displaying my entire current and future collection in identical cases.

The other thing to consider as far as color goes, is how easy it is to cover a scratch or blemish. The dark brown/black Ikea color is easy...Sharpie marker will cover most any defect. White wouldn't be hard to cover. The light brown on the other hand, not sure how you'd be able to fix that color.

Even with painting the back panel grey, the display looks a lot darker than a white or light brown PAX. Don't get me wrong, it looks great man. I like the way it looks. As I am trying to decide on a color for my PAX, I have realized that whenever I see a picture of white cabinets, the statues really pop in my eyes. I'm leaning towards white cabinets because of this. It's a big decision because I intend on buying multiples and displaying my entire current and future collection in identical cases.

The other thing to consider as far as color goes, is how easy it is to cover a scratch or blemish. The dark brown/black Ikea color is easy...Sharpie marker will cover most any defect. White wouldn't be hard to cover. The light brown on the other hand, not sure how you'd be able to fix that color.

I'll prob be buying a white PAX sometime this month. I have mostly white Besta i love'em. They look a little tacky but they really display statues well and the Birch as well i don't mind either.

Anyone know if Ikea sells those sliding door tracks separate?

white is not the color i would pick unless you sure you will only get marvel/dc/star wars type statues.

For example it will look really bad displaying a set of lotr statues, or predator/alien, or vampirella/medieval statues, basically anything with a classic/horror theme.

Really sucks that they discontinued the shelves to the medium brown Pax units I wanted to get that color. Maybe I'll just stick to the black-brown or white-stained oak. Need to see that color in person though before I decide.

Really sucks that they discontinued the shelves to the medium brown Pax units I wanted to get that color. Maybe I'll just stick to the black-brown or white-stained oak. Need to see that color in person though before I decide.

just get medium brown pax and black-brown shelves, i had the same concerns but it turned out to be a non-issue, you really dont notice it.

here are some old photos i pasted before, 1 is black brown pax with black brown shelf, 2 is medium brown pax with black brown shelf. You can see the pax color makes a big difference (medium brown much brighter) but shelves really don't.

paxtemp.jpg

bw5.jpg

Last edited:
Hmm you're right! It'll probably be noticeable if the shelf is completely empty, but I think the black shelf makes a nice contrast in color to the brighter highlights that the medium brown walls gives to the statues when you light them up with LEDs

Back