Media Batman: Arkham Knight

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have two theories about the Arkham Knight. One would be that he's Hugo Strange, and the other that he's Damian Wayne. Strange's ties would be that he's rooted in Arkham's legacy, and that the Arkham Knight persona is a callback to his dressing up as Batman in the comics, while Damian's would be that his mother and grandfather both, presumably, perished in Arkham City. The "Arkham Knight" guise could both pay tribute to/be a reminder of that, and it's design as a sort of twisted, funhouse mirror doppelgänger Batman could reflect his blame for Batman. That could be manifested in multiple ways, as well. If he knows he's his father, he could blame him for not saving his family, but, if not, he could also, mistakenly think that Batman killed them.

I have two theories about the Arkham Knight. One would be that he's Hugo Strange, and the other that he's Damian Wayne. Strange's ties would be that he's rooted in Arkham's legacy, and that the Arkham Knight persona is a callback to his dressing up as Batman in the comics, while Damian's would be that his mother and grandfather both, presumably, perished in Arkham City. The "Arkham Knight" guise could both pay tribute to/be a reminder of that, and it's design as a sort of twisted, funhouse mirror doppelgänger Batman could reflect his blame for Batman. That could be manifested in multiple ways, as well. If he knows he's his father, he could blame him for not saving his family, but, if not, he could also, mistakenly think that Batman killed them.

But I thought this was supposed to be a completly new Villian/character, not another take of an existing one, at least that is how I'm interpreting the marketing.

They said "Arkham Knight" is a new character, but that doesn't necessarily mean that whoever's behind the mask has to be.

It could be Damian, Tim is around the age that Damian came into the comics and Batman did spend a 'night in metropolis' with Talia. They could have genetically engineered Damian in this timeline like they did with a clone of him in The New 52, but who knows? Also, after the ending of Arkham City, how could it be Strange? >__> Don't want to spoil things though.

They said "Arkham Knight" is a new character, but that doesn't necessarily mean that whoever's behind the mask has to be.

I think that's exactly what it means :lol

They've been constantly saying how it feels great that they are able to create a brand new character into the Batman Universe. I think it would defeat the purpose of simply shoving in an already established character under the Arkham Knight persona if that was the case.

I have a feeling it's a completely brand new character built from scratch the way they're implying it is.

I'm sick of this "lines & armor = realism" BS. That suit looks atrocious. I think it's laughable how they're throwing out terms like "practical" and "now he can move in it". Uhhh, those were problems in Asylum and City? I don't remember anyone *****ing about the look of those suits, just the body proportions of the engine.

Hopefully Asylum/City skin is available at all times. That's what I'll be using when I play.

I will don my new Batsuit with pride! That is, unless the game features a bunch of new skins, in which case, yeah, I'm wearing those.

I'm sick of this "lines & armor = realism" BS. That suit looks atrocious. I think it's laughable how they're throwing out terms like "practical" and "now he can move in it". Uhhh, those were problems in Asylum and City? I don't remember anyone *****ing about the look of those suits, just the body proportions of the engine.

Hopefully Asylum/City skin is available at all times. That's what I'll be using when I play.

Yeah, I don't like it, either. The suits from Asylum and City did look more "practical" with the kevlar under-suit. But, Batman looks weird being decked-out like that in this game.

In retrospect, I hope they include the 89 costume as an extra - which is my favorite Batman suit.

They included the Adam West batsuit in Origins so why not include the 89 costume, and the TDK suit, in this game? I was pretty surprised that neither were in Arkham City

But I thought this was supposed to be a completly new Villian/character, not another take of an existing one, at least that is how I'm interpreting the marketing.
Well obviously they're not going to say 'lol it's really Hugo Strange'. It's going to be marketed as a new villain, but there's no reason why it can't be an existing one under the mask.

Same way they keep saying Joker's definitely dead - they aren't going to say otherwise, are they?

I think that's exactly what it means :lol

They've been constantly saying how it feels great that they are able to create a brand new character into the Batman Universe. I think it would defeat the purpose of simply shoving in an already established character under the Arkham Knight persona if that was the case.

I have a feeling it's a completely brand new character built from scratch the way they're implying it is.

Well obviously they're not going to say 'lol it's really Hugo Strange'. It's going to be marketed as a new villain, but there's no reason why it can't be an existing one under the mask.

Same way they keep saying Joker's definitely dead - they aren't going to say otherwise, are they?

While I do believe the Arkhamverse Joker is definitely dead, I also believe that the character of Arkham Knight has to have some connection to existing Bat-mythos that fans would recognize. If not, and it is a completely new character, then what's the point of hyping up the mystery of "Who is Arkham Knight?". If the answer is "some completely new guy that you never heard of before" then he's a duex ex machina character...invented, from scratch to serve this story. If we don't already know him or his motives in some form, the question should be "Who cares who Arkham Knight is? -- He's new!"

Now, I have absolutely no problem with RockSteady introducing a new character to the Bat-mythos, but if so there's no point to all of the guessing "who is that masked man?". You'll never guess or recognize him anyway once he is unmasked....because you never heard of him before.

While I do believe the Arkhamverse Joker is definitely dead, I also believe that the character of Arkham Knight has to have some connection to existing Bat-mythos that fans would recognize. If not, and it is a completely new character, then what's the point of hyping up the mystery of "Who is Arkham Knight?". If the answer is "some completely new guy that you never heard of before" then he's a duex ex machina character...invented, from scratch to serve this story. If we don't already know him or his motives in some form, the question should be "Who cares who Arkham Knight is? -- He's new!"

Now, I have absolutely no problem with RockSteady introducing a new character to the Bat-mythos, but if so there's no point to all of the guessing "who is that masked man?". You'll never guess or recognize him anyway once he is unmasked....because you never heard of him before.
Is there a big mystery as to who he is during the game? Is that actually confirmed?

Is there a big mystery as to who he is during the game? Is that actually confirmed?

Why does that matter to you? Even when the developers specifically and explicitly confirm something, like the Joker's not coming back ("He is dead. Dead, dead, dead, dead, dead." -- how much clearer can he get??) there are those, like yourself, who still think it might be a lie.

Of course they won't reveal the entire plot for their new game in detail, but if you won't even believe the bits that they do confirm very clearly, why would it matter to you if it's confirmed or not that Arkham Knight's identity is a mystery? Even whens something is confirmed directly from Sefton Hill's mouth, that's not really enough of a confirmation for you anyway, is it?

From 5:10 to about 6:33 Hill is being pretty coy about his "all new" character though. He doesn't want to give the interviewer anything solid to interpret about the character other than what was already very carefully decided to be teased. I share the opinion of many that it may be because only the "wrapper" (Arkham Knight) is "new", but he's afraid that if he gives any more detail than that (like his motivation etc), fans will recognize some attributes of another character that already exists. He might be "all new" in the exact way that "The Judge" was an "all new" character in the animated universe.

2423440-the_judge.jpg

Gameinformer has a whole article speculating that the Arkham Knight might be a similar case. Yes, it's speculation and not an official confirmation directly from the developer's mouth, but they've had more direct access to the developers than anyone else so far.

Of course, it might really be a "100%-all-new-from-scratch" character and the reason for Sefton Hill's coyness might simply be that doesn't want to reveal any backstory at all about him just yet.

Back