BSG Starbuck Custom Head

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BillyB

Freaked Out
Reaction score
So I was stuck at my parent's place about a week ago and was able to finish up a sculpt that has been sitting on my table for a while.
First attempt on a custom Starbuck. Still need to work out some things and get it on a body, but thought I'd see what you all thought. Please go easy on the paint.
I went with the shorter hair for easier casting but hope to make some Season variations.

Starbuck1.jpg

Starbuck3.jpg

Starbuck2.jpg

Starbuck5.jpg

Wow Billy! That is THE Starbuck head sculpt I was looking for to go with the custom Viper pilot helmet Mooncat is making. I'm on his list for the helmet.

PLEASE tell me you'll make some castings of it for us? Starbuck is really the only BSG 1:6 scale figure that I want from the new BSG show.

I LOVE IT! Starbuck is my favorite character too. :D

Please send me a PM Billy, and let's talk about Kara Thrace. You captured her cocky and smart-ass expression very nicely! Maybe you can start an interest thread for her like Chris Howes does for his custom head sculpts? I know I want on your list for sure for one. Unpainted, with the neck post drilled (if you can drill it for me...I don't have a dremel or drill to drill it out).

Last edited:
Hey I love old "Faceman" myself too! I got the 12" Dirk Benedict Starbuck a few years ago. The sculpt on him was okay. It could have been MUCH better. I'll have to post a picture of him on here in my own thread if you want to see him.

It took me a little while to get used to a "girl" Starbuck on this new Battlestar Galactica. But not...too long! I fell in love with her character. Katee Sackhoff does such a GREAT job as Starbuck. Going from laughing and goofy, to sullen, depressed, distraught. The full range of emotions. A complex character. Very cool. That's why she is my favorite character. She's strong one moment and vulnerable the next.

Last edited:
Hopefully she can fit in the helmet Ive recently finished (just waiting for my caster to get back to me) You dont have an Ada Apollo perchance do you ? if you do, could we have some pics alongside for size comparison ? or any other SSC star wars head ?

Anyway Id like a cast myself also ?

Did you intend it as a one off ? as I see youve already painted her ? or is that a painted cast ? would you be prepared to offer casts ?

If your unsure about doing casts your self I can put you in touch with Lonnie at H2creative who would no doubt be willing to cast her.

I take it you have a body in mind for her ? or did you sculpt her without neck as that seems the norm for female 1/6th ?

What were you thinking for clothing ? Ive asked Blind Voyeur to re-do my flight suit its looking good, but under blind v it will be excellent

lots of questions sorry

LMK

you should post this over at the battlestar forums also

Last edited:
Hey I love old "Faceman" myself too! I got the 12" Dirk Benedict Starbuck a few years ago. The sculpt on him was okay. It could have been MUCH better. I'll have to post a picture of him on here in my own thread if you want to see him.

It took me a little while to get used to a "girl" Starbuck on this new Battlestar Galactica. But not...too long! I fell in love with her character. Katee Sackhoff does such a GREAT job as Starbuck. Going from laughing and goofy, to sullen, depressed, distraught. The full range of emotions. A complex character. Very cool. That's why she is my favorite character. She's strong one moment and vulnerable the next.

yeah post some pics if u can. id like to see it. iwant a dirk sculpt, but for faceman custom. i mentioned to chris h about doin the a-team sculpts. i jst hope there would be enough interest to do em.

I'm very interested in the entire A-Team of head sculpts. I'll find the original Starbuck, and post some pictures here soon of it.

Mooncat I hope this Starbuck head fits inside the Viper helmet you're making. I've already paid you some for the helmet. I've been on your list for it since you started your thread, or soon after it began. I would love to have an accurate Viper pilot uniform for my custom Starbuck!

Amazing sculpt! I would be down for one aswell.

Also i'm going to be looking for Mooncats thread on the helmet! I want one of those aswell :D

Just finished adding the finials to it, Im waiting on an email back from Lonnie and then Ill be sending it off :)

Heres a link to the production thread :

https://sideshowcollectors.com/forums/showthread.php?t=47433

Like I said suits a proto want to send it to Blind for Tailoring, and helmet isnt jointed together so the jaw section is hanging a bit loose in these pics, this thread prompted me to put him together to see how the whole things coming, (excuse my crappy camera) but here he is next to production BSG figures for comparisons, Ive posted more pics on my Apollo production thread. Fingers crossed I could get your Kara cast and see how it sits in the helm, maybe get Blind to tailor a flight suit for a specific body for her (although she's quite butch anyway) the neck ring on mine is about the same diameter as a truetype long neck plug, so guessing based on the pic above there shouldnt be any issues there, and initial views of the pics above would suggest that unless its way out of scale with Ada's sculpts then Kara would fit in the helm no problem or with minimal tweaking.

DSCF5460.jpg

Last edited:
Hopefully she can fit in the helmet Ive recently finished (just waiting for my caster to get back to me) You dont have an Ada Apollo perchance do you ? if you do, could we have some pics alongside for size comparison ? or any other SSC star wars head ?

Anyway Id like a cast myself also ?

Did you intend it as a one off ? as I see youve already painted her ? or is that a painted cast ? would you be prepared to offer casts ?

If your unsure about doing casts your self I can put you in touch with Lonnie at H2creative who would no doubt be willing to cast her.

I take it you have a body in mind for her ? or did you sculpt her without neck as that seems the norm for female 1/6th ?

What were you thinking for clothing ? Ive asked Blind Voyeur to re-do my flight suit its looking good, but under blind v it will be excellent

lots of questions sorry

LMK

you should post this over at the battlestar forums also

I'd seen your thread with the helmet and was hoping you would be continuing with it which is one of the reasons that I chose the shorter hairstyle. That and it will make it easier to cast. Hope to make a longer haired last season version, but that will probably just be a one off.
I don't have the Apollo head but will try to shoot some pictures with other heads for comparison.
Head is very SS size and since there aren't many female figures out there that don't already have the neck sculpted to the body I stuck with that format.
The painted version is the original sculpt but it can be stripped down enough for a good cast. I painted her up to make sure the likeness was there. I may try to make a wax cast to tweak a few things before making a final cast but only if there's enough interest in her.
For the outfit, right now I'm backed up with other projects, but I have the materials for the basic outfit (gray t-shirt, tank, and pant). No flight suit at this time, but would love to see Blind's finished version.

BillyB

I'm sure if you started an interest thread Billy, members would jump at the chance for your great Starbuck head cast! I know I will! :D

Mooncat, your Viper pilot uniform is looking great! I hope to be able to get one of them, along with the helmet someday soon for my custom Starbuck.

Back