Zack Snyder's Rebel Moon

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:lol

And the stupidity of the Obi-Wan series reunion.

Vader: "I feel a presence I haven't felt since (gives minute speech about the prequels) and then after all that we briefly met again on another planet."

:duh

So dumb, lol.
But we're getting a cool looking Vader from HT as a result so I can't say I was completely disgusted with that lol...

Yeah. I saw the movie. I remember.

But in Part 2, she cuts it again. Which you'd know if you watched the trailer.

So, in other words, she had a girlish feminine haircut in part 1, but in part 2 she cuts it again, symbolizing how badass and stunning she is.

Hence, the meme.

Do....you not understand humor?

Not every post is an personal invitation to you to start another bicker fest. Sometimes a post is just there cause it's funny.

Try laughing. You might feel better.

So, in other words, she had a girlish feminine haircut in part 1, but in part 2 she cuts it again, symbolizing how badass and stunning she is.

Hence, the meme.

Not every post is an personal invitation to you to start another bicker fest. Sometimes a post is just there cause it's funny.

According to the novelization she has had many haircuts over the course of her life. :lecture

:chase

Hence, the meme.

I get what you were going for, it just doesn't work that well when she's going back to what she used to be.

Hence, the meme.

Lol I was actually taking a jab at the movie and it's huge slo mo sections lol

Are you gonna participate at the “event” t800?

Lmao I love how they picked Valentine’s Day

Attachments

• IMG_2589.jpeg
    IMG_2589.jpeg
    108.2 KB · Views: 0
I love slo-mo. For me, he doesn't overuse it. People do seem to be very sensitive to it though.

Snyder does get accused of 'style over substance' and I think the only place that might fit is when he is chopping his movies down to fit in a shorter time frame.

IMHO, the opening sequence to Army Of The Dead shows where Zack Snyder, if he chooses to be, can be extremely effective. There's a lot of background and information being presented without any dialogue. You get a feel for the core characters, the conflict, the debt between them, the regret, the level of threat and the stakes.

The above scene in Aliens, the first Power Loader scene, look at how many things it's doing at once. ( It was something Cameron simply could not cut when he was told to trim the film down to reduce it's run time)

1) Foreshadows the end battle with the Power Loader and the Alien Queen
2) Gives a little more coverage of Apone, to further develop him to make his loss more realized / impactful
3) Create a gradual transition of Ripley from victim to competent to hero
4) Sustain, slightly, the potential attraction between Ripley and Hicks, where that subtext shows up later ( the rifle training/watch scene)
5) Explains why Hicks would grow to trust Ripley ( she's competent, she's willing to put in the work, she's showing she wants to be part of their team)
6) Highlights how the Colonial Marines operate - What works is paramount, function over form
7) Shows the detachment by everyone else "rank and file" from both Lt. Burke and Gorman
8 ) Pushes the "technology" theme, where Cameron went for a soft comparison to the Vietnam War ( technology, massed resources and "Western arrogance" against and underestimating a more organic seemingly primitive force to catastrophic results)

Snyder can tell the same story, have the same characters and carry the same themes, but the larger question is if he can do it more efficiently. That's it. It's that simple from a narrative and logistical standpoint. For example, instead of planet hopping to build the team, can you find a way to put them altogether at once? Most people are not fans of Shane Black's The Predator, but he put all the human fighters who would support the leads onto one bus. The Breakfast Club put the five teens ( They looked 35 years old...LOL) into one Saturday detention.

Admiral Noble wants the crops from the village. OK, so that's that. How can you arrange that so it's more efficient? The Motherworld is starving. Their "cloning" or whatever else is ruining their ability to grow food. Noble needs to find food further and further out and essentially rob people, going against basic common sense of cultivating a practical bargain, because he's desperate and the situation is desperate. Now he's not a cardboard cutout villain. He's just starving like everyone else. OK, so Snyder doesn't need to use exactly that, but now it would explain the anger at the rebels through the Bloodaxes getting the grain instead on the black market ( i.e. if your enemy is eating and your troops are not, you'll probably eventually lose that war)

Condense the characters. Make the logistics more friendly to arrange them in a practical way to develop them. Find a more practical overarching motive for everyone. Give the audience a real life concept that they can envision and relate to somehow in the day to day world.

Snyder shows he can be efficient. But Rebel Moon Part 1 is not it. Not even close. It doesn't bother me in the slightest that RM1 is highly "derivative" Just tell a fun clean simple story that entertains and pleases fans. Predators with the Pianist and Morpheus on too much Tasty Wheat is basically 75 percent fan service and homage. But it's nice compact solid film. It's not the best Predator film, but it's competent.

The length of a film is not correlated to it's efficiency. Braveheart is just shy of three hours in length for it's theatrical version, and it's incredibly efficient. The argument that Snyder needs a bigger film is complete and utter ********. Make a competent film at 90 minutes, if that's all you are given. Then, if given more opportunity, add to it. Aliens is a perfect example. The theatrical cut is still a great fundamentally sound film. But the Special Edition brings out the what's already good and makes it even better. If Snyder can cover so much ground in a 5 minute Army Of The Dead montage sequence, he can find a way to uplift a 90 minute version of RM1. But only if the narrative is structurally bullet proof to start.

Excuses only last so long before eventually the common denominators start to reveal themselves to the point of undeniability. More to point, you and Alatar are free to love whatever you want to love, but the perpetual moving of goalposts doesn't solve the efficiency problem.

Last edited:

IMHO, the opening sequence to Army Of The Dead shows where Zack Snyder, if he chooses to be, can be extremely effective. There's a lot of background and information being presented without any dialogue. You get a feel for the core characters, the conflict, the debt between them, the regret, the level of threat and the stakes.

The above scene in Aliens, the first Power Loader scene, look at how many things it's doing at once. ( It was something Cameron simply could not cut when he was told to trim the film down to reduce it's run time)

1) Foreshadows the end battle with the Power Loader and the Alien Queen
2) Gives a little more coverage of Apone, to further develop him to make his loss more realized / impactful
3) Create a gradual transition of Ripley from victim to competent to hero
4) Sustain, slightly, the potential attraction between Ripley and Hicks, where that subtext shows up later ( the rifle training/watch scene)
5) Explains why Hicks would grow to trust Ripley ( she's competent, she's willing to put in the work, she's showing she wants to be part of their team)
6) Highlights how the Colonial Marines operate - What works is paramount, function over form
7) Shows the detachment by everyone else "rank and file" from both Lt. Burke and Gorman
8 ) Pushes the "technology" theme, where Cameron went for a soft comparison to the Vietnam War ( technology, massed resources and "Western arrogance" against and underestimating a more organic seemingly primitive force to catastrophic results)

Snyder can tell the same story, have the same characters and carry the same themes, but the larger question is if he can do it more efficiently. That's it. It's that simple from a narrative and logistical standpoint. For example, instead of planet hopping to build the team, can you find a way to put them altogether at once? Most people are not fans of Shane Black's The Predator, but he put all the human fighters who would support the leads onto one bus. The Breakfast Club put the five teens ( They looked 35 years old...LOL) into one Saturday detention.

Admiral Noble wants the crops from the village. OK, so that's that. How can you arrange that so it's more efficient? The Motherworld is starving. Their "cloning" or whatever else is ruining their ability to grow food. Noble needs to find food further and further out and essentially rob people, going against basic common sense of cultivating a practical bargain, because he's desperate and the situation is desperate. Now he's not a cardboard cutout villain. He's just starving like everyone else. OK, so Snyder doesn't need to use exactly that, but now it would explain the anger at the rebels through the Bloodaxes getting the grain instead on the black market ( i.e. if your enemy is eating and your troops are not, you'll probably eventually lose that war)

Condense the characters. Make the logistics more friendly to arrange them in a practical way to develop them. Find a more practical overarching motive for everyone. Give the audience a real life concept that they can envision and relate to somehow in the day to day world.

Snyder shows he can be efficient. But Rebel Moon Part 1 is not it. Not even close. It doesn't bother me in the slightest that RM1 is highly "derivative" Just tell a fun clean simple story that entertains and pleases fans. Predators with the Pianist and Morpheus on too much Tasty Wheat is basically 75 percent fan service and homage. But it's nice compact solid film. It's not the best Predator film, but it's competent.

The length of a film is not correlated to it's efficiency. Braveheart is just shy of three hours in length for it's theatrical version, and it's incredibly efficient. The argument that Snyder needs a bigger film is complete and utter ********. Make a competent film at 90 minutes, if that's all you are given. Then, if given more opportunity, add to it. Aliens is a perfect example. The theatrical cut is still a great fundamentally sound film. But the Special Edition brings out the what's already good and makes it even better. If Snyder can cover so much ground in a 5 minute Army Of The Dead montage sequence, he can find a way to uplift a 90 minute version of RM1. But only if the narrative is structurally bullet proof to start.

Excuses only last so long before eventually the common denominators start to reveal themselves to the point of undeniability. More to point, you and Alatar are free to love whatever you want to love, but the perpetual moving of goalposts doesn't solve the efficiency problem.

He wants to make a long, R-rated sci-fi movie. Netflix is happy for him to do that if they can get a 2 hour version. They did. It works enough. Sure it could have been better but we haven't seen it how it was intended yet. What we have seen is stripped down.

I'm not saying your ideas aren't worthy suggestions but we know there's an extended more fleshed-out version coming out in a matter of months that may very well sort some of the issues you have with it.

I agree Snyder's theatrical cuts aren't as good as they could be.

If someone feels like it can they summarise all the goalposts that Alatar and myself have shifted I'd love to know what they are exactly.

Gotta love these Zack Snyder discussions. :lol

I was going to make a small review of this after I saw it a while ago, but nah.
All I'll say is that I found it to be one of Snyder's weakest films. Maybe I'll rewatch it at some point, but for now I'd give it a 4/10.
Nowhere near 300, MoS, BvS or ZSJL.

Gotta love these Zack Snyder discussions. :lol

I was going to make a small review of this after I saw it a while ago, but nah.
All I'll say is that I found it to be one of Snyder's weakest films. Maybe I'll rewatch it at some point, but for now I'd give it a 4/10.
Nowhere near 300, MoS, BvS or ZSJL.
...or Watchmen or Dawn Of The Dead

Netflix Film Chief Scott Stuber Leaving to Start New Company

Netflix Earnings: Stock Soars Toward 2-Year High As Subscribers Surge

Well, it doesn’t look like Netflix Film division CEO Scott Stuber leaving Netflix is obviously due to any financial losses that could possibly have been connected to Rebel Moon. In fact the studio made record profit for the last quarter and increased its subscriptions by an additional 5M from what they were projecting.

That being said, the Q1 numbers will reveal whether there’s any dropoff in subs immediately following the release of Rebel Moon Part 1’s PG13 cut, which might conceivably be attributable in part to folks signing up for Netflix just to watch that. But then again, given that Part 2 is reportedly has so much more action, and hopefully will deliver payoffs for character arcs etc., maybe enough new subscribers will stick around to see how it ends. And then of course there’s the director‘s cuts in June—a six hour film, essentially—which is the movie Snyder actually always wanted to make, etc. We’ll just have to wait and see how many of those new subscribers stay on.

But anyway, the change in leadership at Netflix doesn’t bode well for getting big budgets to make blockbuster-ish films like Rebel Moon 3. It sounds like Netflix is moving away from spending big on original films.

In other news Netflix and Evil Genius Games settled in the lawsuit in which Netflix tried to stiff the company for all the work it did to create a tabletop RPG, fulfilling that contract. The game reportedly will still be shelved though. But at least it looks like the game developer must have gotten compensated somehow.

Last edited:
Netflix Film Chief Scott Stuber Leaving to Start New Company

Netflix Earnings: Stock Soars Toward 2-Year High As Subscribers Surge

Well, it doesn’t look like Netflix Film division CEO Scott Stuber leaving Netflix is obviously due to any financial losses that could possibly have been connected to Rebel Moon. In fact the studio made record profit for the last quarter and increased its subscriptions by an additional 5M from what they were projecting.

That said the Q1 numbers will reveal whether there’s any dropoff in subs immediately following the release of Rebel Moon Part 1’s PG13 cut, which might conceivably be attributable in part to folks signing up for Netflix just to watch that. But then again, given that Part 2 is reportedly has so much more action, and hopefully will deliver payoffs for character arcs etc., maybe enough will stick around to see how it ends. And then of course there’s the director‘s cuts in June—a six hour film, essentially—which is the movie Snyder actually always wanted to make, etc. We’ll just have to wait and see how many of those new subscribers stay on.

But anyway, the change in leadership at Netflix doesn’t bode well for getting big budgets to make blockbuster-ish films like Rebel Moon 3. It sounds like Netflix is moving away from spending big on original films.

In other news Netflix and Evil Genius Games settled in the lawsuit in which Netflix tried to stiff the company for all the work it did to create a tabletop RPG game, fulfilling that contract. The game reportedly will still be shelved though. But at least it looks like the game developer must have gotten compensated somehow.
IDK, I didn't really get that sense at all from those articles. But then all the studios have been getting diminishing returns from their big budget releases, so scaling back may be an industry-wide shift not specific to Netflix.

Back