Your thoughts on the current state of sixth scale figure collecting?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thing is, on this forum at least....I have heard similar sentiments alot......

But as wisely stated before....someone is buying all the typical licenses HT is stuck on.....

I saw the "new" stormtrooper and was like ...nope....but there are plenty of people over there chomping at the bit to buy a trooper with some added black paint... A new weapon , and a new grill........

1a322a312b3f585a85f317dc7762c979.jpeg

973b8c6ed6e6711166384218f5bdd469.gif

dd978834b1890c680e047a5ea6932a6a.jpeg

e80e06e1143a6fe931d046bca61f7183.jpeg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This is the number one thing I think of when I see new figures announced that are basically just varients. I laughed at that Simpsons episode when it first aired(Kenner's Batman figures and ToyBiz's Wolverines at the time were beginning to feel like this) and I still laught at it...but mostly because in many ways, myself and others I know who collect....have become Smithers in that scene, "But she's got a new hat!"

Yeah we're on the same page. I mean obviously we know why Hot Toys has changed, but that doesn't mean we have to like it.

I sit here and remember things like the quarter scale 1/4 T1 Arnold or a potential Pfeiffer Catwoman (both of which they teased/announced) and I think to myself, "are those two really that much of a risk, business and sales wise?" There are so many releases that seem like no brainers to me that they just straight up refuse to do. I know Terminator and Catwoman probably aren't capable of doing Disney Marvel or Star Wars returns, but some of these things have surely got to be missed sales opportunities for them? I mean obscure, unknown entities like the weird Arkham Knight character or Valerian kids get figures made of them, but they're afraid of a Kyle Reese, Penguin or Endoskeleton?

They don't even make an attempt to market or advertise the classic stuff they do. The last time they put effort into actually putting the spotlight on a classic license was around 2011-2012 for things like Bespin Luke, the 89' Batman line and the Reeve Superman. Ever since then, the older licensed figures just pop up at a show randomly without any fanfare or mention of them at all, leaving the people that are genuinely interested in them guessing for years on end if they're actually going to come out. The way Ripley was finally released without the slightest bit of fanfare or care from Hot Toys (all while apologizing about the delays for Wonder Woman) really highlighted this.

Their practices are just downright bizarre. Take the Romero Joker for example. Obviously we all know that he won't sell as well as your Ledgers, Letos and Harleys, but why be cruel and show that at a show (along with an official JC Hong showcase photo of the sculpt) and go quiet for years? It's an obnoxious **** move. If they don't have time for older stuff that aren't relevant to today's popular culture (your modern superheroes and Star Wars), we get it. But to show and tease it then go quiet? C'mon. I have no problem with a company following the money, but the way Hot Toys handles their licenses sucks.

This is also MY beef with Hot Toys. I buy a lot from them and I must admit, I'm a sucker for the new stuff. I mean, I fully plan on buying a second Kylo Ren and Rey from Last Jedi so I'm aware I'm contributing to the issue. And yet, I got into sixth scale, initially for Reeve Superman and Keaton Batman. I would like more of that. I really wanted to buy the Hot Toys Terminator Line when they were being pumped out regularly but by the time I could afford this hobby, most of those pieces were long gone and going for hundreds on ebay. I got lucky to get the T800 I did recently and that's only because a member on this forum gave me a decent price on him.

For those saying there are other alternative companies...well yes and no. I know Hot Toys figures are not without problems. They are prone to defects/breakage/issues like any other company BUT I feel like there's much lower risk with them. They have so many distribution partners, its often easier to get replacement parts or simply wait for the "next version" of the character to get a figure. I no longer sweat every single Marvel release because I know I'm undoubtedly going to get another one(and that can vary. Obviously, You probably want to buy a Yondu now but if you really want Iron Man or Cap, you have room to wait). I love QMX and Threezero but....as beautiful as their stuff can be, it's not quite at Hot Toys sophistication yet. The materials are not always as sturdy/strong or they come with way less accessorywise. There are tradeoffs.

I think what many of us want is "Hot Toys quality" with every brand, and not just the marvel/dc/star wars stuff.

As far as competition goes, there still isn't really any because nobody can pump out as MANY figures in a year as Hot Toys can. That's the other issue. If Blitzway were pumping out figures the way Hot Toys does, THAT'S competition....but they're not. As far as quality, oh yes, headsculpts and the like are getting better at most companies in general but the shere volume of releases Hot Toys has is unequaled and it's not until that happens that they will have real competition.

This is exactly what Hot Toys is apparently doing...releasing 30 Iron Man figures and having people buy the 31st...revisiting things for people who come later...improving quality with subsequent Iron Man suits...taking advantage of Iron Man's popularity and recognizing that new collectors are joining the market all the time...I did not buy 30 Toy Biz Wolverines myself but it seems unfair to say that this model is ok for Toy Biz and Wolverine but somehow wrong when Hot Toys and Iron Man do it...also strange to say that 10 Terminators is okay but 10 Iron Man figures is not...I love Terminator could not care less about Iron Man but I am sure that there are many collectors who feel the exact opposite...
Where did I say it wasn't okay to produce 30 Iron Man figures? (my first post; I for one can't complain about 7,950 Iron Man figures, because I would want that many different Terminator figures if that were possible.) Throughout my posts I said produce what you want and charge what you want. If I said even one thing remotely like that it was that they could justify making a porcelain pattern stormtrooper and think that it would sell better than Kyle Reese or young John Connor or a proper diecast T1 endoskeleton or even a clean police shootout T800, the one figure Terminator collectors probably want most. People freaked because the BD version didn't come with a clean jacket or shirt.

And if Hot toys is revisiting Iron Man over and over and over again for new collectors, why should it be different for other licenses?

I don't know what people like or want anymore.
Whatever gets the most hype via marketing is what people like.
That's not new tho.
And I wouldn't have problem with it as long as some high quality cult classic was released every year.

As far as competition goes, there still isn't really any because nobody can pump out as MANY figures in a year as Hot Toys can.
And because nodoby else is able to produce figures on the same level of quality, for some strange reason.
Not takin' bootleg/unlicensed brands into account, of course.

It's not just volume, it's product quality, and it's the licenses- marvel, dc, star wars. The crown jewels.

If i was enterbay or blitzway i'd be in talks with derrick jeter or roger clemens or david ortiz. Or the estate of jim morrison and jimi hendrix. Ozzy. Maybe young Metallica. Dont get me started on ric flair, the road warriors, and bret hart.

Maybe the quality of an HT sculpt is up there....but TBL League is producing some real amazing stuff lately with ALOT of extras for about 50.00 cheaper than HT.

Case and Point the New Lady Death deluxe figure.

I Have the Vampirella and it's loaded with extras also. The head sculpt is not quite HT level, but to me it's pretty good and for 50-60 dollars less...
Same goes for VTS and the Wasteland Ranger...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So...last night they unveiled the Wolf Predator. Are things changing? I fully expected to wake up to see an Justice League member, another star wars character or someone from Thor Ragnorak...and there was a Predator. That variety is a good thing. I hope this is a sign that we will get more variety again going forward and I hope this figure will not become a Ripley where he's delayed endlessly and comes out on time.

We can hope. Maybe we get to see a Big Chap.....or a totally new figure from The Matrix or something as well someday..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is one series that should never be rebooted. The second and third movies suffered a bit, but the whole series in general is iconic and should not be touched.

I am ok with a new story from the Matrix.....its got plenty of room for new stuff....

To be lazy and retell the same story....waste of time...

Too soon.... Retry in 20 years

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Umm in reference to the title of the thread I actually really enjoy the 1/6 community! I think it’s great more and more people are getting involved with collecting. It’s great to see videos of someone who has a small collection and someone who has a bigger collection and just to interact and really enjoy each other’s thoughts and hopes for future figures. I think it’s a great time to be a collector because I grew up on cartoons based off comics so with all these superhero movies, it’s just aweasome to have all these higher end figures of my favorite characters. I was collecting hot toys for a long time now and at one point sold my collection of 80 figures and kept it small ( a lot of upgrading to newer versions/ marriage etc etc) but I truly have figures that I enjoy. ThAt being said it does sting to see some prices of these figures. But just means I buy less and make sure it’s a figure I really want. I feel like prices are forcing people to budget really hard now days and some people are down to buying one figure a year maybe 2 if lucky.

Back