Your Summer 08 Movie Rankings

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The only other movies I plan on seeing are Hellboy II, The Dark Knight, and the X-Files 2.

I've got semi low expectaions on X-Files 2. As a fan of the series, I'm eager to see more of Scully and Mulder, but I'm concerned how much satisfaction I'll walk away with until I see it, that is I think I'll enjoy the story and all, I have no doubts there, but will it be a typical X story and you're left with more questions.

Will some big questions left by the series be addressed at all, particularly the relationship between Mulder and Scully, and will the movie give enough closure that I can walk away happy with it's ending. Odds are, since it took so long to make this one, we won't see and X-Files 3, so leave some open ends as is the X tradition, but give the fans some closure on things, when the series finale went down, most expected a post-show movie, but if this is to truly be their last adventure we see, make it a good one.

1) WALL-E
2) IRON MAN
3) INDIANA JONES and THE KINGDOM OF THE CRYSTAL SKULL
4) KUNG FU PANDA
5) THE INCREDIBLE HULK

6) Get Smart
7) Wanted
8) Speed Racer
9) Hancock
10) The Happening

Have not seen and have no interest in seeing:
You Don't Mess With The Zohan
Sex and the City
The Love Guru
Mummy III

And, I'm sorry... but you just cannot rationally rank a movie you haven't seen yet. I don't care how many trailers and clips you've watched a gazillion times. That's craziness. I'll rank Hellboy II, TDK, and X-Files after I've seen them.

Last edited:
Odds are, since it took so long to make this one, we won't see an X-Files 3.
Actually, Carter & Co. already have ideas for at least two more movies. The reason it took so long for this one to get made is because they were in heavy negotiations with 20th Century Fox over rights and back-end deals (a lot of that goes back to the days of the TV production and was never settled).

That was all hashed out last year, and the film was fast-tracked into production. Also, it has a VERY small budget (especially for a high-profile Summer movie) and will almost certainly make a profit. Unless this movie pulls a total GIGLI I'm quite sure we'll see more X-FILES movies after this one.

My list so far this summer will change soon with the next round of movies:
Iron Man
Kung Fu Panda
Hulk
Wall-E
Wanted
Indy

Glad to see so many people also gave KUNG FU PANDA a fair shake.

... expected all of the indignant INDY hate in this den of cynicism. :lol

Actually, Carter & Co. already have ideas for at least two more movies. The reason it took so long for this one to get made is because they were in heavy negotiations with 20th Century Fox over rights and back-end deals (a lot of that goes back to the days of the TV production and was never settled).

That was all hashed out last year, and the film was fast-tracked into production. Also, it has a VERY small budget (especially for a high-profile Summer movie) and will almost certainly make a profit. Unless this movie pulls a total GIGLI I'm quite sure we'll see more X-FILES movies after this one.

Well that'd be fine by me, the more the merrier, I just get nervous about movie series or things like this that might leave openings for sequels but it's possible that doesn't happen. A great example of working this right, I think, is Batman Begins. Sure it set up a sequel and left you wondering, but it also gave enough closure you didn't feel a need for a sequel to complete your enjoyment of that film by itself, you can enjoy it for what it is and enjoy it so much, you want another dose. That's what I want from X-Files 2, another does of great X-Files fun, but make this hit as satisfying as possible. X-Files, to me, is a great story you never get tired of if you truly enjoy it, so there's no need to setup sequels or leave something to draw the audience in. Keep throwing Mulder and Scully stories and we'll be at the box office window buying tickets.

Well that'd be fine by me, the more the merrier, I just get nervous about movie series or things like this that might leave openings for sequels but it's possible that doesn't happen. A great example of working this right, I think, is Batman Begins. Sure it set up a sequel and left you wondering, but it also gave enough closure you didn't feel a need for a sequel to complete your enjoyment of that film by itself, you can enjoy it for what it is and enjoy it so much, you want another dose. That's what I want from X-Files 2, another does of great X-Files fun, but make this hit as satisfying as possible. X-Files, to me, is a great story you never get tired of if you truly enjoy it, so there's no need to setup sequels or leave something to draw the audience in. Keep throwing Mulder and Scully stories and we'll be at the box office window buying tickets.

Well, from what I gather this movie (and any future ones) is more of a return to form and the first two seasons of the show, where the focus was on the two characters and not the conspiracy mythology which later took over the show and got very muddled. This will be Mulder and Scully in a stand-alone story, and I think future films will be too. They even shot it in Vancouver, which will also give it the look and feel of the first 4 seasons of the show.

I'm going to say only current movies that I've seen:

1. Iron man
2. Wall-E
3. Wanted
4. The Incredible Hulk
5. Prince Caspian

7. Indiana Jones (eh, but not too bad, just not right under Prince Caspian)

9. Speed Racer (cheesy crap)

14. The Happening (crappy, crappy, crap crap crappity crap)

Dark Knight and Hellboy will probably be tops, I can already say The Dark Knight is my favorite.

Well, from what I gather this movie (and any future ones) is more of a return to form and the first two seasons of the show, where the focus was on the two characters and not the conspiracy mythology which later took over the show and got very muddled. This will be Mulder and Scully in a stand-alone story, and I think future films will be too. They even shot it in Vancouver, which will also give it the look and feel of the first 4 seasons of the show.

Excellent. As much as I liked the conspiracy storyline, the greatest strenght of the series to me was the relationship between the two of them, no mattter the situation. Some fantastic character development the way they started them as polar opposities in their thoughts and beliefs and the blending of the two over time as they adopted the strongest traits of one another, and I just love the chemistry Duchovy and Anderson have together, the relationship feels so genuine you really see them as the characters and not actors.

Iron Man
Wanted
Hulk
Hancock

Can't wait for Hellboy II and The Dark Knight

Last edited:
I think is funny how people put Dark Knight...:D

for me:

1-Wall-E
2-Iron Man
3-Kung Fu Panda
4-Get Smart
5-Indiana Jones
6-Hulk
7-Speed Racer

Overall, a little weak IMO...but the best is coming!!
HB2, XF2, DK...wohooo!!!

For me:
1. Iron Man
2. Hulk
3. Wanted
4. Kung Foo Panda
5. Speed Racer
6. Indiana Jones

Now just because Indy is last doesn't mean I didn't like the movie...because I did. So far I've enjoyed every movie I've seen. :rock Any movies I deem as questionable (i.e. Hancock) I will hold off for DVD release.

I can guarantee that Hellboy II and the Dark Knight will end up in the top 3 once I see them.

So far...

1: Wanted.
2: Iron Man
3: Kung Fu Panda
4: Indy 4!
5: Incredible Hulk
6: Speed Racer

Wanted goes on first because...well, i've been waiting for a movie like that since UltraViolet failed to satisfy.

1 Iron Man
2 Indiana Jones and the KOTCS
2 Incredible Hulk
3 Wanted

I still want to see the Narnia movie, Hancock, Wall e, and of course the Dark Knight
Maybe we should have a poll at the end of August

Back