Media Your single most favorite Protagonist and Antagonist in Gaming

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Protagonist: Booker DeWitt

Man, this guy was as mysterious as it gets and through everything you find out and deal with, it's seriously incredible how it goes. I also believe because he is the only Bioshock Protagonist one can interact with.

Antagonist: Zachary Comstock.

Dare I say more? Much like Booker, but he was a villain you could love and hate; and to me it topped it off better than Atlas or Ryan.

Favorite Protagonist:

latest

Undoubtedly, Link from Legend of Zelda. The many incarnations of him are pretty interesting at times, and all vary; the goofiness of Wind Waker Link, the farmboy of Twilight Princess Link, the stoic Ocarina of Time Link, and so on. He was one of the first protagonists I grew to really care about through Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask and the other games in the series I grew up with as a child, and the stories taught me that gaming stories could be taken seriously and interesting. I love how the character has changed recently as well, and how he interacts with people despite being a mute.

Have to add honorable mentions later >.>

Favorite Antagonist:

latest

Ganondorf gets a lot of **** done in Zelda, to the point where he does win in a few senses since he conquers Hyrule in some games. Hell in one canon Zelda timeline, Link fails to defeat Ganondorf, meaning Ganondorf actually wins. Honestly, it's a bit rare to see situations where the protagonist fails outright. Other things that entice me to Ganondorf is how he is so calculating and prideful, how he plans out things, and things just fall into place on his accord. Yet there's other things to him, like how Wind Waker showed that much he was defined by his upbringing in the desert.

Honorable mentions: Wesker. Might need to add more >.>

Protagonist- Big Boss: He was my favorite fictional character until Batman Begins made me take Batman seriously (I loved some comics growing up, but grew out of it. With hundreds of different interpretations of the character with all different writers and re-cycling of stories, I lost respect for superheroes except for Claremont's X-Men.) When it's done well, I'm a big fan of characters that transition from good to evil, like Michael Corleone. He's a really sympathetic character, but of course, not enough that I can condone his later actions. Still, his plight is very compelling. His idiosyncrasies helped make him more relate-able, like how he was disinterested in the politics and pop culture, but would get a rise out of battle and weapons. There were also a lot of little things in codec conversations that helped build his character, like such as when he attempted to hide how nervous he was to make the Halo Jump, or his disappointment in not being able to fight The End if you killed him before the battle started. What we learned about his philosophies through Solid, Liquid, Psycho Mantis, Sniper Wolf, Frank Jaeger, Solidus had a big impact on my perception of the character, so it blew me away when we got to play as a humbler version in MGS3.

This video is better than any of my dumb ramblings!

Antagonist- Revolver Ocelot: The guy kept double crossing people, and I didn't know what to expect from him. Turns out the guy was insanely loyal to Big Boss, so much so that he would give up his own conscious for his mission. Ocelot tricked the Russians to thinking he was with them, but then revealed he was working with America, but then revealed he was working for the Patriots, but in actuality was working against them all, and then finally even tricked himself to believing he was Liquid Snake. Heck, he's tricking me right now because now I'm starting to think that he's a protagonist.
Revolver_ocelot.jpg

Good thing you didn't ask for favorite villain, because that's a lot tougher than an antagonist! The attached image is probably my runner up for a protagonist, Zack Fair, but it's a wide margin behind Big Boss!

Attachments

• char_40396.jpg
    char_40396.jpg
    13.7 KB · Views: 145
Protagonist:

Gabriel Knight ....has been my favorite for 20yrs.....in the last couple though I think he may have been overtaken by:

Geralt of Rivia

Antagonist:

Darth Malak

Protagonist?

This guy.
a4d98bfd16a6492af6cedb040cf6d740.jpg

How do you define success? Because this guy literally turned a whole world into myth. He's not a black and white character despite always being pissed all the time. He often finds that gray area in between and somehow makes the world a better place. Since he's always angry and blinded by rage, his moments of compassion and respect are powerful. Speaking of pure power, he is a physical manifestation of it. And a kick ass voice to boot.

Ezio Auditore and Nathan Drake were my runner ups.

I was debating on Batman and John Marston, but I'm going to use the cop out and say that "Batman's not really a video game character. So...

3907017-rdr_john_marston05.jpg

What is there to say, really? He's just a fascinating character. It adds an interesting dynamic in comparison to GTA, because the latter places you in the shoes of someone who voluntarily chooses to be a criminal, for the hell of it, and, while that's awesome, and each of those characters have their own, unique issues to work through, there's a fascinating dynamic to be found when your main character is weathered by the harshness of the West. Perhaps it's because we don't quite see his past, that it works so well, but there's something tragic about a life that was lost long ago, and whose efforts to redeem himself are almost entirely unfruitful.

There are just so many elements that define him. The very fact that he's trying to change shows you that he's got at least somewhat of a conscience, but there's a brutal irony in trying to find your salvation in more violence, and, ultimately, you find that you can't. On top of that, he's a dying breed. He's got a code all his own, but it doesn't quite mesh with the modern, industrialist America they're building towards, and I think he knew that, and he's trying to save his son from that cycle of violence, and it really is tragic, because you think about who he is at his core, and what kind of life he could've led, given the opportunity. It's really the game, itself, that defines him, though, and it's one of the most unforgettable experiences I've had the pleasure of being a part of, in any media.

My runner up is Joel. I love Drake's swashbuckling adventurer persona, but Joel is just such a dynamic character that really shows what Naughty Dog can do at their most visceral, and he's actually a lot like Marston, in a lot of ways.

I've got to think about antagonists. Those are two of my favorite games right there, and both don't really have a singular antagonist.:lol

Im going to handy cap myself by not choosing anyone from Metal Gear, (Solid Snake and Solidus Snake/Ocelot)

I would say Batman (is that cheating?) ok. Gitaroo man then... Or the Vanquish guy. As for Protagonist, im finding that very difficult! For now ill say the giants from Shadow of the Colossus

Too difficult to name only one.

Protagonist: A tie between John Shepard and Kyle Katarn.

Antagonist... come to think of it, no one ever came close! The Xenomorph from Alien Isolation.

Protagonist is a toss up between Ezio from Assassin's Creed and Paragon Shepard from ME.
Antagonist is probably Ghaleon from Lunar Silver Star Story Complete.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Protagonist: Nathan Drake or Joël

Antagonist: Collectors (ME2)

NPC: Siegward of Catarina. "Mmmm. Hmmm. Ooooh!"

Edit: Shepard is awesome. Windwaker Ganondorf as well.

Last edited:
Protagonist: Geralt Of Rivia, his sarcasm, matter of fact and dry sense of humor, raspy voice, penchant for Sorceresses and strange in general, make him very fun.

Honorable mentions: Cloud Strife, Solid Snake, Lara Croft, Nathan Drake, Joel and Ellie, Batman.

Antagonist: Sephiroth (not to bandwagon, but he truly is that great)

Honorable mentions: Bigboss/Patriots, Sin FFX (more so the idea), Metal Gear(s), Joker, Gaunter O' Dimm.

Protagonist is a toss up between Ezio from Assassin's Creed and Paragon Shepard from ME.
Antagonist is probably Ghaleon from Lunar Silver Star Story Complete.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Someone else that has played and refered to Lunar, now that i a rare treat.

Back