Yodacappy's Projects - Currently: Curio And Yoda's Hut UPDATE 6/17!!! Post #115

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Yodacappy's Projects - Currently: Curio and Yoda's Hut Display UPDATED 8/29!!!

holy crap .........:horror..................actual pictures............:panic::panic::panic:

:lol..............looking damn good YC............:clap

Re: Yodacappy's Projects - Currently: Curio and Yoda's Hut Display UPDATED 8/29!!!

:panic: What? Pictures? Nooo!!! That's impossible!!

*ahem* I concur with barryo. Lookin' good so far!

Mirrors are always good for display cabinets. That way, you can just pretend you have twice as many action figures as you actually do, that are just facing the other way. :wink1:

holy crap .........:horror..................actual pictures............:panic::panic::panic:

:lol..............looking damn good YC............:clap

I almost took a picture of the quart of stain just for you! Of course, I almost took a picture of the Home Depot princess behind the counter just for me. Definitely a cutie!

Next work session is Monday. Should have the mirrors fitted on the back permanently and who knows what else!

Great session today. Hold on to your socks!

First, just for barryo--the infamous can of stain:

stain.jpg

Okay, so we re-cut the dados for the mirrors to fit between and that will support the back of the shelves to begin the day and that was a success. Due to weather, we were unable to attach the mirrors BUT the show did go on as there's more to do.

So we decided to get on with etching shelves despite the weather which got VERY adventurous to say the least.

First, we cut out the 8 symbols for the shelves (2 on each). As fate would have it, they are 12 inch versions of the symbols. So 12 inch symbols for 12 inch figures!

We accomplished this by using a Cricut machine:

cricut.jpg

After that, I had the task of finding the center point of each halve of the shelf:

etch_center.jpg

Then we applied the negative of the symbol to the shelf in the center of the half it belonged:

neg_applied.jpg

In the next step of preparation, the rest of the shelf was taped off so that only the part we wanted etched would get sandblasted:

neg_app_taped.jpg

Then it was placed on a stand for blasting!:

etch_setup.jpg

Fully etched but still taped and after battling the rain, watching our canopy blow over our heads, etc:

Etching_finished.jpg

And then the nerdgasm of seeing the shelf finished! :

Finished_shelf.jpg

Next session will be Saturday!

Oh and here's a sneak peek of the Yoda's Hut Environment display work materials:

The Wood (particle board):

Yoda_wood.jpg

The Lazy Susan:

lazy_susan.jpg

Re: Yodacappy's Projects - Currently: Curio and Yoda's Hut Display UPDATED 9/5!!!

Love the etched glass shelves. Even if this ends up costing more than a ready-made curio, it will be a display you can be proud of.

Re: Yodacappy's Projects - Currently: Curio and Yoda's Hut Display UPDATED 9/5!!!

Love the etched glass shelves. Even if this ends up costing more than a ready-made curio, it will be a display you can be proud of.

It's costing far less really. A ton of labor but one this size alone would run $2,500 easy. I've got just a touch over $1,000 in this one.

You are exactly right though, the shelves really make it a one of a kind, Star Wars piece. It's going to be great to get it in the house, get it assembled and stocked!

looking really good YC..................:clap

loving the glass shelves. very professional. awesome work......:lecture

looking really good YC..................:clap

loving the glass shelves. very professional. awesome work......:lecture

TY. Thought you'd get a kick out of that can of stain pic. :lol

We would have done the other shelves but the weather was crazy. Should be able to get those done this Saturday though.

The symbols idea is really amazing. I had no idea how all that worked but fortunately my friend knows what he's doing and has plenty of experience and is passing it along to me which I'm very grateful for.

i'm still a bit put out that you didnt post the cute home depot girl.........:cool:

:wink1:

Bad news, no work sessions for 2 weeks...:monkey2

That sucks man, but what you've done so far looks freaking awesome. Can't wait to see the next steps when you get back on it.

Worse news, no work sessions until November most likely...:gah:

Happy to say that I snuck in a work session this weekend and we finished etching the rest of the shelves. As soon as I get the pics, I'll post them up.

From this point, all that's left is shelf supports and the sanding/staining/sealing process. :clap

Well better late than never! Here's the rest of the shelf pictures:

shlf1.jpg

shlf2.jpg

shlf3.jpg

shlf4.jpg

shlf5.jpg

shlf6.jpg

shlf7.jpg

shlf8.jpg

shlf9.jpg

Re: Yodacappy's Projects - Currently: Curio and Yoda's Hut Display UPDATED11/11!!!

For those keeping up, my friend's shop had some electrical issues so we've been on hold but those are fixed now. Hopefully we'll wrap this up after thanksgiving. :)

Re: Yodacappy's Projects - Currently: Curio and Yoda's Hut Display UPDATED11/11!!!

Okay, so make that after New Year's...:impatient:

:impatient::impatient: x 2

:wink1:

Hey guys-- I'm still among the living and hoping to finish this bad boy up soon but that's out of my hands...:impatient:

Back